Corona virus (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When she was 13 she was diagnosed with leukemia and spent two years in treatment. Pills, IVs, spinal taps, shots, hospital stays, hair and weight loss etc. The one upside to that experience is that those kids are tough as nails if they get through. So while having the flu is dangerous she knows the drill for getting better. Take your medicine, rest, and keep your spirits up. Back to school this week!

According to the ayurveda, the yogic indian medicine old of thousands years, our mind is one with our physical body. The state of our mind influences both positively and negatively our body system. Even for leukemia,the meditation,the exercise,the food, massage with warm oil can cure this unbalance of the White blood cells.Each cell and all our body is intelligent and can repair it by itself if we can get a correct balance.

What a culture of fear we live in these days. It is a tragedy when anyone dies of an illness and not to make light of the recent virus but a lot more people will die in their cars or from falling in their showers than from this virus. But there is not nonstop fearmongering in those instances. I remember when a couple of folks got ebola in the US a few years ago and the news media made it out as the end of times.

True. I've read where business has dropped for Chinese restaurants in NYC because customers are afraid of catching the virus from people of Asian descent, even though they've lived in the US all of their lives.

Again not to make light of it, but it seems to me that the corona virus has replaced vaping as the latest media "You're all gonna die" story line.

If your statement was proved to be true Todd, China would be scorned all over the world and be ruined financially. I doubt this is the case but you couldn't say 100% it's not. Anyway the Chinese tourism in your country would be having a huge impact on the economy as well as Australia. When I was over in New Zealand about 6 months ago, I was surprised by the numbers and there are still about 100,000 students to come back to Australia to further their education when they are given the clearance to do so. Regards Greg.

Greg, yes as you rightly point out the lock down is having a big impact down here now, with loads of Chinese tourists and students not able to fly. It’s also causing a nightmare for our exporters who trade with China, particularly our primary industry such as our Dairy and Meat producers. I see Air NZ has had to cancel a number of flights, including flights to Australia as a result of so many Asian tourists not able to travel.

So 28x countries have now registered Coronavirus has reached their shores with over 500x effected persons being reported in South Korea and over a hundred effected now in northern Italy.

As of February 19 according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):

So far, the new coronavirus, dubbed COVID-19, has led to more than 75,000 illnesses and 2,000 deaths, primarily in mainland China. But that's nothing compared with the flu, also called influenza. In the U.S. alone, the flu has already caused an estimated 26 million illnesses, 250,000 hospitalizations and 14,000 deaths this season.

Take a look at the questions in the link in Moe’s post. They offer excellent advice. Short of using a mask, washing your hands for 20 seconds is a recommended way of warding off infection. Also, stock up on hand sanitizers and when you are in public be careful what surfaces you are touching. I now carry hand sanitizer in the car for this purpose.

The CDC has just announced it’s not a question of if but when the US is affected and has told people to get prepared.

In addition, contrary to what our leaders have said, a vaccine is a long way away. It will be a month or two before a vaccine is in Phase 1. Scientists don’t think we’ll see a vaccine for at least a year.

As many sporting events are being suspended around the globe, several countries in lock down, travel restrictions kicking in and this years Olympic Games now under threat, what do members now think of Covid-19 and it’s impact on the worlds economy and where you think it’s heading?

As many sporting events are being suspended around the globe, several countries in lock down, travel restrictions kicking in and this years Olympic Games now under threat, what do members now think of Covid-19 and it’s impact on the worlds economy and where you think it’s heading?

I’ve had a few discussions with my investment advisor and he doesn’t think we’ve hit bottom yet. Short term things are grim but in the long term they will improve although that may take awhile. Socially, people will not be going out or taking any risks for a couple of months and this will adversely affect industries relying on the public such as restaurants, pro sports, business meetings, concerts, you name it. Hopefully, in a couple of months this will subside. However, I’ve seen reports that the virus may come back in the winter months. Basically, life as we currently know it is changing for awhile.

Progress being made on vaccines and therapeutics. Hopefully advancing fast enough that they’ll be available for the predicted “2nd wave” of this.
People just need to be smart and most importantly unselfish. You may be 30 and don’t care, but when you pass it to your 75 yr old neighbor.....

Progress being made on vaccines and therapeutics. Hopefully advancing fast enough that they’ll be available for the predicted “2nd wave” of this.
People just need to be smart and most importantly unselfish. You may be 30 and don’t care, but when you pass it to your 75 yr old neighbor.....

Good point, I am not changing what I am doing from a work standpoint or personal (unless we have a national lockdown), but I also am not going to visit my parents upon my return nor actively looking to interact with older more susceptible folks.

I understand the alarm and caution, but do not understand the hysteria. There are some (probably a lot more than I would like to think) that believe this is a "walking dead" contagion and that people will be dropping in the streets. It is just illogical and I have a hard time comprehending that.

I did see where China's export and production is ramping back up, so that hopefully is a good sign.

TD

On the upside there will be more time to read with everything shutting down. My recommended apocalypse reading list:

1) The Road by Cormac McCarthy
2) The Stand by Stephen King
3) Swan Song by Robert McCammon
4) Dark Advent by Brian Hodge

On the nonfiction side:

Pandemic 1918 by Catharine Arnold.

Good point, I am not changing what I am doing from a work standpoint or personal (unless we have a national lockdown), but I also am not going to visit my parents upon my return nor actively looking to interact with older more susceptible folks.

I understand the alarm and caution, but do not understand the hysteria. There are some (probably a lot more than I would like to think) that believe this is a "walking dead" contagion and that people will be dropping in the streets. It is just illogical and I have a hard time comprehending that.

I did see where China's export and production is ramping back up, so that hopefully is a good sign.

TD

Thinking and doing the same thing here. On the market perspective stated by Brad I also agree.

I’ve had a few discussions with my investment advisor and he doesn’t think we’ve hit bottom yet. Short term things are grim but in the long term they will improve although that may take awhile. Socially, people will not be going out or taking any risks for a couple of months and this will adversely affect industries relying on the public such as restaurants, pro sports, business meetings, concerts, you name it. Hopefully, in a couple of months this will subside. However, I’ve seen reports that the virus may come back in the winter months. Basically, life as we currently know it is changing for awhile.

You got to feel sorry for those working in the tourist industy, particularly airlines and their staff. Many exporters are taking big hits too.

As for what the Chinese are reporting, I don't believe a word about the situation improving.

In Italy there are little less than 200 deads per day by corona virus, all is shut: schools, universities, clubs, restaurants, pubs,shops..Only public places open are supermarkets and pharmacies...People can't leave their home town without a special permission for working given by the authorities.The police control people at the railway stations, roads, highways, nobody can leave his own town. Most flying companies have closed their flights to Italy, airports are empty, churches closed...

I hope that at least some people will realize the impermanence of life, that life and death are one.

Buckle your seatbelt! We are in for a rocky ride on the stock market and economy. I was on 5 conference calls with major banks today. They were very disappointed with President Trumps address to the nation last night. Information coming from the US government is inconsistent and inaccurate in many cases. It will get worse before better. This is a world wide challenge and we need to drop the partisanship and nationalism to work together for a common cause. Tell us the truth so we can plan accordingly. The US is only prepared to test thousands, maybe, while we need to test hundreds of thousands if not millions of people!
On a more positive note there will be some great buying opportunities on the stock market and on merchandise as well. If you have the liquidity to do some investing you can start "nibbling" at these levels on the well capitalized companies in growth industries. The market was over priced in many economists opinion and now it will go down excessively on panic.
Look at companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Google...........they are not going away.

We need a leader like Churchill who can inspire us and bring back confidence that we will get through this. As far as our hobby the market will dictate who survives. I find toy soldiers to be a distraction from the crazy politics, economics and pandemic challenges.

Just my humble opinion after 50 years of being an active investor and CEO.

Question: Hysteria or Vigilance (better safe than sorry at any cost)? Which is it?

How does this compare to influenza (e.g. Sars, Swine, H1N1)? Is comparing the numbers to Coronavirus appropriate? If not, why?

Does even asking this question, dangerous and demonstrates lack of compassion, ignorance and even worse contempt of others?

"The Medias Role": Benevolent, Informative and impartial (To Contain Spread & Reduce Deaths) or Peddlers of Fear (thus Maximizing Ad Revenue & Their Influence)

Are businesses curtailing business and sometimes closing (e.g. MLB, NBA, NCAA, Travel, etc.) because of benevolence & care or fear of in dangering their "Brand" (being callus/ greedy), lowering future revenues and opening themselves up to possible liability suites?

Are these questions moot; because public health & safety cannot be calculated like some "Cost Benefit Analysis"...Saving lives is the only true reward regardless of costs in terms of money, jobs, economy, etc.?

Which is it?

Carlos

Question: Hysteria or Vigilance (better safe than sorry at any cost)? Which is it?

How does this compare to influenza (e.g. Sars, Swine, H1N1)? Is comparing the numbers to Coronavirus appropriate? If not, why?

Does even asking this question, dangerous and demonstrates lack of compassion, ignorance and even worse contempt of others?

"The Medias Role": Benevolent, Informative and impartial (To Contain Spread & Reduce Deaths) or Peddlers of Fear (thus Maximizing Ad Revenue & Their Influence)

Are businesses curtailing business and sometimes closing (e.g. MLB, NBA, NCAA, Travel, etc.) because of benevolence & care or fear of in dangering their "Brand" (being callus/ greedy), lowering future revenues and opening themselves up to possible liability suites?

Are these questions moot; because public health & safety cannot be calculated like some "Cost Benefit Analysis"...Saving lives is the only true reward regardless of costs in terms of money, jobs, economy, etc.?

Which is it?

Carlos
In short, in our current society and system there is a mix of humanity, politics and economics. We hope that humanity is paramount but there is going to be greed, partisanship and hysteria in the mix. I mention opportunities within a health emergency because the economics for many of us will determine both quality of life and survival in the future. At some point we have to get back to "making a living" planning for our retirements and helping our families. Too often in our country money buys better health care and even life itself. People can't afford to get preventative treatments, people can't afford their medicines and people can't afford to eat healthy. There is life after this pandemic so we can't throw out the finance portion of this challenge.
The media is a mixed bag of honest reporting, mistakes, bias and profit. We must be careful to verify, the best we can, news stories. We know what outlets lean left and right, we can listen directly to leaders and decision makers, we can listen to both sides and we can research.
I still think the "free press" is one of the most important foundations of our Democracy. Over many years we have seen the news media uncover government and corporate lies, corruption and harm to our lives. So we have to be careful in how we legitimately criticize the free press without impugning them.
Are we a compassionate society? I think in general we are but we need leaders to set examples of compassion, empathy and civility. That's a challenge for this country right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back