Corona virus (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So last evening (Saturday) our PM here in NZ announced what has been described as the worlds tightest border controls to help combat the spread of the virus here.

As of midnight Sunday (NZ time) all incoming travellers, including NZ citizens will be required to self isolate for 2x weeks. All travellers into NZ are being registered and a healthline set up to help monitor the self isolation process. Only a few small South Pacific Island nations which have no Covid 19 cases will be exempt.

All cruise ships have also been told to stay away until June and Kiwi's asked to reconsider any non-urgent overseas travel.

The Tourism Industry and other related businesses here are in shock of this sudden announcement which will impact thousands of jobs.

So last evening (Saturday) our PM here in NZ announced what has been described as the worlds tightest border controls to help combat the spread of the virus here.

As of midnight Sunday (NZ time) all incoming travellers, including NZ citizens will be required to self isolate for 2x weeks. All travellers into NZ are being registered and a healthline set up to help monitor the self isolation process. Only a few small South Pacific Island nations which have no Covid 19 cases will be exempt.

All cruise ships have also been told to stay away until June and Kiwi's asked to reconsider any non-urgent overseas travel.

The Tourism Industry and other related businesses here are in shock of this sudden announcement which will impact thousands of jobs.

Hey Todd,
I can't say that I disagree with any of the actions taken by your goverment .. or almost any government except the Fr%$kin' Chineese.
I just got back from food shopping (or I had hoped to go food shopping) TOTAL INSANITY!!

The shelves were stripped bare. ZERO -- TP, Paper Towels, Tissue, all dairy (Milk, Cream, 1/2 & 1/2, eggs, etc.) Breads, Rolls, muffins etc -- GONE.
All bleach, disinfectants, soaps, gone - gone - gone. The frozen foods were cleaned out. TOTAL CRAZYNESS!!!!
The stores are now employing security guards to limit customers in the amount of (certain) items they can buy at one time.

My summer construction helper was going to his favorite gun shop to pick up about 200 rounds of 30 Caliber bullets {eek3} {sm2}
He thinks the Zombie Apocalypse is about to begin …???

I guess that is where they get the name Maineiacs [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]comes from.[/FONT] ^&grin

--- LaRRy

Hey Todd,
I can't say that I disagree with any of the actions taken by your goverment .. or almost any government except the Fr%$kin' Chineese.
I just got back from food shopping (or I had hoped to go food shopping) TOTAL INSANITY!!

The shelves were stripped bare. ZERO -- TP, Paper Towels, Tissue, all dairy (Milk, Cream, 1/2 & 1/2, eggs, etc.) Breads, Rolls, muffins etc -- GONE.
All bleach, disinfectants, soaps, gone - gone - gone. The frozen foods were cleaned out. TOTAL CRAZYNESS!!!!
The stores are now employing security guards to limit customers in the amount of (certain) items they can buy at one time.

My summer construction helper was going to his favorite gun shop to pick up about 200 rounds of 30 Caliber bullets {eek3} {sm2}

I guess that is where they get the name Maineiacs comes from. ^&grin

--- LaRRy

Larry

Not just in Maine

Britons form huge queues to purchase toilet roll and strip shelves bare as panic-buying continues | Daily Mail Online

This is on ITN News in the UK tonight

"Britain's over-70s will be told to self-isolate for four months in a 'wartime-style' clampdown by the government to stop the spread of coronavirus. This blanket quarantining of the elderly will likely be enforced in the next 20 days, according to ITV News' political editor Robert Peston"

Cheers

Martyn

If staying inside or social distancing for four months is what has to be, then it has to be.

Larry

Not just in Maine

Britons form huge queues to purchase toilet roll and strip shelves bare as panic-buying continues | Daily Mail Online

This is on ITN News in the UK tonight

"Britain's over-70s will be told to self-isolate for four months in a 'wartime-style' clampdown by the government to stop the spread of coronavirus. This blanket quarantining of the elderly will likely be enforced in the next 20 days, according to ITV News' political editor Robert Peston"

Cheers

Martyn

MARTYN … those pictures look 20X worse that here …. OMG!!! {eek3}
Food items I understand, but some many other items don't make sense to me.

At least in Maine we have an abundance of "leaves", even this time of years …. if worse does come to worse!!!!{sm2}

STAY SAFE!!

--- LaRRy

Pop a bowl of popcorn and watch "The Crazies." Either Romero's original or the remake. It won't make you feel any better about the current situation but will help pass the time.

France:"Restaurants, bars, nightclubs, cinemas are expected to close. Shops are also affected, with the exception of food stores, pharmacies, banks, tobacconists and gas stations."

I gave up with the swimming pool, hope I can still riding my bicycle in Paris:tongue:

Hey Todd,

I guess that is where they get the name Maineiacs comes from. ^&grin

--- LaRRy

G’day Larry, phew sounds like you only just made it out of the supermarket alive. Just got off the blower to my bro in he US and he was saying the same thing, folks have gone bonkers over TP and cleaning products, but he didn’t mention food flying out the door. The zombies are coming....

Funny you mention the use of leaves as a substitute. Had a hilarious conversation with some work mates the other day about the exact same thing and the pros and cons of using paper based products and items such as leaves. The conclusion was you’d most likely have great difficulty gaining traction using glossy magazines and leaves would simply clog the loo up.{eek3}

Love the Maineiacs reference!;)

G’day Larry, phew sounds like you only just made it out of the supermarket alive. Just got off the blower to my bro in he US and he was saying the same thing, folks have gone bonkers over TP and cleaning products, but he didn’t mention food flying out the door. The zombies are coming....

Funny you mention the use of leaves as a substitute. Had a hilarious conversation with some work mates the other day about the exact same thing and the pros and cons of using paper based products and items such as leaves. The conclusion was you’d most likely have great difficulty gaining traction using glossy magazines and leaves would simply clog the loo up.{eek3}

Clog up the loo ?? :rolleyes2: ..... Oh no, Sir, nature at its best here in rural Maine.
Just find a bush with a lot of leaves and you are all set.
However, it is a bit nippy outdoors as we are still in WINTER.
So one must remember to be quick about it .... {sm3}

{eek3} … LaRRy

We are probably two to three weeks behind Italy, Spain and France so we need to get ready as best as we can.

NOW we miss those Sears catalogs! BTW, I read the British WWII daily TP ration for soldiers was 3 squares! {sm2} Maybe someone can ask one of the few remaining vets how they managed. ^&confuse Chris

It wouldn't take any longer than the body scans being done now.

Check the news reports today. Even with far fewer people traveling the airports are gridlocked due to screenings. And for little benefit. Many people with the virus have no symptoms. So there is nothing to check for. Many people with symptoms may have common colds or flu. It takes time to get the results. What are they going do with those people in the meantime? It's just a PR effort to screen passengers that creates more disruption than results. And the airports are the most inefficient place to get anything done. If it can be screwed up, they will do it. The only effective safeguard is to close them for a few weeks.

Check the news reports today. Even with far fewer people traveling the airports are gridlocked due to screenings. And for little benefit. Many people with the virus have no symptoms. So there is nothing to check for. Many people with symptoms may have common colds or flu. It takes time to get the results. What are they going do with those people in the meantime? It's just a PR effort to screen passengers that creates more disruption than results. And the airports are the most inefficient place to get anything done. If it can be screwed up, they will do it. The only effective safeguard is to close them for a few weeks.

Thermal checks for people with fever don't take that long. It would identify those with a symptom.

Thermal checks for people with fever don't take that long. It would identify those with a symptom.

The statistic I have not seen is; If you become infected, how long after do you portray (any) symptoms, like fever, and when do you become a danger to spread the disease?

For example, I go into Walmart, someone coughs, I get infected. I then go and buy gas and then head over to Dunkin Donuts, stop at the auto parts store and visit my buddy down the road.

Have I just become Typhoid Mary?{eek3}

--- LaRRy

The statistic I have not seen is; If you become infected, how long after do you portray (any) symptoms, like fever, and when do you become a danger to spread the disease?

For example, I go into Walmart, someone coughs, I get infected. I then go and buy gas and then head over to Dunkin Donuts, stop at the auto parts store and visit my buddy down the road.

Have I just become Typhoid Mary?{eek3}

--- LaRRy

Based on what I have read Larry, it could be anywhere from two to 14 days. However, not every cough or sneeze means you are going to get the virus since it is the flu season.

Brad

Based on what I have read Larry, it could be anywhere from two to 14 days. However, not every cough or sneeze means you are going to get the virus since it is the flu season.

Brad

Thanks Brad,

So let's say, on day three, after unknowingly contracted COVID-19, … AND ... I haven't shown (or felt) any symptoms and decide to go to a movie.

I sneeze getting out of the car, thinking maybe dust, maybe pollen, allergies? :rolleyes2:

Open the theater door, touch the credit card register keys, put my hands on the counter while I waiting for my popcorn and taco chips, give the attendant my ticket, touch the seats backs as I find my seat.

MY BAD?

--- LaRRy

Larry,

Right now you should avoid any unnecessary trips and movies are one.

Brad

The only way to slow down the spread and give our health care system time to prepare is cutting down social contact drastically.
Last night in NYC the bars and restaurants were crowded. The establishments were not even following the new laws to cut their occupancy by
50% so people are not on top of one another. It was mostly younger people, like college students who are now home, and those who think
they are not vulnerable because of their age. They may not get seriously ill but they will spread the disease.
Letting each state decide on when to close down business and schools is crazy. NYC is closing stores but NJ is open so the traffic goes there
with the potential of more infections.
The NY governor has asked the President to start using the Army Engineers Corp. to construct or refit facilities for Hospital care and ICU's.
Convert college dormitories and gymnasiums, open up emergency stocks of medical equipment....respirators, masks, protective clothing, etc.
If we wait any longer we will end up like Italy where they are now forced to decide who will live and die based on strained resources.
I am very disappointed in our Federal government response........from "hoax" to "under control" to finally realizing this is a real emergency and
finally listening to the experts not the pundits!
As seniors my wife and I are laying low, staying home and taking walks in the woods or less traveled paths. I stocked up on food and necessities
three weeks ago when I first heard about this virus. We are keeping our distance even from our grandchildren whose schools are now closed.
My son and daughter who work for Microsoft and Chanel are now working from home. They have a schedule for their children to home study,
play in the back yard, watch television and play games.
It will be a different world for the next year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back