"DEGUELLO!" The Fall of the Alamo (2 Viewers)

UKReb

Command Sergeant Major
I have been working on this project-on & off- for quite a few months. I personally have been fascinated with this part of Texas/US history since I was a kid and have been very impressed at the few outstanding Alamo dios that members have posted here on the forum. But rather than try to imitate their excellent work I thought I'd have a go at telling the story of that final assault and the annihilation of the Texan defenders.

The following are just a few experimental set-up shots of the progress so far before I include the figures and a bit of an intro in what I'm attempting to depict. This part of the dio is almost complete although I am still working on the plaza and long barracks area.

DSC00123.jpg

The Alamo and Gettysburg have to be the two most well known battles fought on American soil. But unlike Gettysburg which had thousands of Confederate and Union survivors-The Alamo had none who actually witnessed the final assault except the Mexican. Susanna Dickinson left the sanctuary of the chapel only after the battle had ended with all the defenders dead and her post testimony kept changing depending on who she was talking to, likewise the slaves of Bowie and Travis also survived and may have witnessed certain parts of the final assault but all we have is Travis's man "Joe" recording Travis's death after that he hid until the guns fell silent.

DSC00115.jpg

Subsequently, and exactly the same as The Little Big Horn (gotta be the third most famous battle on American soil) which only had in the most part unreliable Indian accounts, we are left with the Mexican written version. There is indeed a plethora of books and films on the subject but amongst the text they inevitably contradict each other on that final desperate fight.
So how does one try to dispel the myth that Hollywood in particular has weaned us all on? Simply by going back to the original sources which in the main are of Mexican origin.

DSC00127.jpg

I have read dozens of Alamo books and like most of you seen all the movie versions at least a dozen times. However, three Mexican accounts I have found indispensable as comparators with other authors are:
Colonel Juan Almonte's Private Journal
Captain Jose Sanchez Navarro's La Guerra de Tejos
Jose Enrique de la Pena-La Rebelion de Texas-this was originally published in 1836 but repressed by the authorities-when re-published in 1955 it caused a furore especially amongst Texans, because it was the first account of Crockett surrendering and trying to talk himself out of being executed.

DSC00145.jpg

The 180 or so men who manned these ramparts were a pretty disparate bunch. Some were illiterate frontiersmen others educated professionals, physicians, lawyers and even a Baptist preacher. They were as young as sixteen and as old as 59 years, they came from 18 states with three brothers from Tennessee, 28 came from England, Scotland and Ireland. Most were unknowns, part of the faceless crowd that passes unheralded through history but I'll try and bring some of them to life through this hobby of ours.

DSC00112.jpg

The figures I'll be using will be in the main well known to most of you-although there are a few conversions and specially commissioned pieces. The main chapel structure is from K&C with a new paint finish, I had intended to construct the main walls from foam. However, my pathetic attempts were an abject failure, just didn't pass the final inspection test- I raise my kepi to the skill of the likes of Alex and Tim who continue to turn out excellent foam structures- it's definitely not in my bag of capabilities and as Dirty Harry said
"A man has to know his own limitations".

Consequently, for the main walls I reverted to Barszo's adobe range. The South Pallisade is John Jenkins the ramparts/chapel lookout/thatched building/small walls/long barrack rooms/ladders etc are all scratch built. The original plan was to construct walls from the gun lunette at the main gate up to the north wall but what you see now and the plaza is approaching 20 square feet and I've run out of space

DSC00006-1.jpg

The characters depicted in the story and their back-grounds will be as accurate as I have been able to research. However, the words they will utter are mine with the exception of a few statements that were recorded. Where I have been unable to confirm events I will revert to the myth we all know for which I make no apology. A couple of examples that come to mind:- no one witnessed and recorded Bowie's death so was he delirious with fever unable to move or did he take out a half dozen Mexican Soldados with pistols and knife before dying himself?

Where did Crockett die? We have de la Pena's account of the execution but was it Crockett? Susanna Dickinson also stated she saw his body amongst a pile of dead Mexicans as she left the chapel-but the shock of losing her husband and her fear for the safety of her daughter would she have noticed Crocketts prone figure amongst the rest of the dead?
Truth is no one who knew him saw him fall and lived to tell of it and if you have read any number of Alamo tomes-Crockett died everywhere!

All we do know is he did perish and I suppose if you think about it his end fitted the life of a legend-for as they say- When no one see's a legend die, the legend lives on!

DSC00130-1.jpg

So if the creek don't rise and breaks the levee the next chapter might well be;

"The Battle Begins"

DSC00026.jpg

You've done it again Reb, outstanding!! Great shots too. Looking forward to your next installment.

This is sure to be another page turner mate. Beautiful set up and photos so far. I eagarly await the unfolding of this saga but certainly hope this does not undermine the production of your ASW episodes.:D

Absolutely outstanding work. A reading suggestion if you haven't already seen it is "Blood of Noble Men: The Alamo, Siege and Battle" by Alan Huffines done by Eakin Press in 1999. Tremendous book. I await the next installment. -- lancer

This is sure to be another page turner mate. Beautiful set up and photos so far. I eagarly await the unfolding of this saga but certainly hope this does not undermine the production of your ASW episodes.:D

IMO I don't think that the ACW will be affected; he is the master of telling this story. For this one it looks superb and I am sure that everybody is anxious to see more.

Rod.

he is the master of telling this story. For this one it looks superb and I am sure that everybody is anxious to see more.
Rod.

I couldn't agree more :) Thanks alot Bob - it's going to be a pint and a packet of crisps at the March London Show at this rate! :D

Jeff

Excellent, really looking forward to this.

Cheers

Martyn:)

Once again our story teller beging to bring to life by bringing to life the figures and scenes in the telling of a major historical event. Can't wait for it to continue to unfold. Thanks Reb.....The Lt.

Reb,

That is a fantastic playground you've created there. Really looking forward to you filling it up and giving us the narrative.

Simon

Great shot looking thru the loop hole now that realy is a sneak peak :).
im looking forward to seing this one UKReb.

Hi Reb,

Since I grew up in Texas, the story you will be telling has special meaning for me. I certainly look forward to each and every episode!

Warmest personal regards,

Pat :)

Perfect timing, I just got done touring the Alamo this morning, off to KingsX this afternoon. Very cool diorama!

TD

Oh man - Reb - I have been so good to avoid the ALAMO RANGE - I know that you are going to get me sucked in and the profit shares for K&C will rise as another range enters the Phillips Collection ! :eek:

I love the old John Wayne Movie - the Alamo - and the legend of Texas Independence is very interesting. I really love the figures that K&C has made and I one time researched how much it would cost to buy all the Alamo figures - oh my my - I have to be careful :eek: One slip and $$$ are heading for TEXAS - that in a way is why I am glad I have not made it down to Kings X and the Alamo for a visit ! :rolleyes:

WOW Reb, What a stunning start to what is sure to be another great diodrama. I can't wait to see the story unfold and be told as only you can.

Great stuff.

Certainly looking forward to this one!!! I have never bought an Alamo figure, but why do I feel like that will change after this?

Absolutely my all time favorite battle in American History. I used to have the first 5 Conte sets and metal figures but parted with them to support other habits. I really really like what you have accomplished here Reb. Cheers to you! I look forward to more of the story. Just great, absolutely great!

Mike

Did you notice that there were two BMC figures and one CTS figures depicting dead Mexicans? Well, at least there were two years ago when I visited Kings X. That was before their latest Alamo releases so it may have changed.

Hi Reb,
Fantastic. I especially love the painting on the figures so life like.
Benjamin

Just got back from KingsX, very cool store and the Alamo Diorama is something to be seen, just incredible. YES, still some good Conte stuff in there, but they informed me that it will move out as other K&C moves in, so fantastic news for Alamo collectors, I myself got sucked in and bought RTA69, the Naval gun, really cool set. I also was fortunate enough to win a door prize for SOHK in honor of the Chinese New Year. I highly recommend the Alamo and KingsX if you get to San Antonio, great day!

TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back