East coast friends (4 Viewers)

Have done quite well here in MoCo, NW of DC. Got plenty of rain, which is still falling lightly and plenty of wind but nothing seems too bad, in my little area, anyway. Never really lost power. It blipped out twice but reset right away so all I had to do was adjust the digital clocks twice. All in all, the storm was a big rain event only, but we were on the backside of the storm. We got lucky. Hope all of you who have lost power and suffered damage are OK and will be back in action soon. -- Al

I picked up an iPhone on Sat, plus a car charger. Thank goodness for that. My work BB from AT&T is crap. Lost a tree or two but far away from the house so ok.

I know that NJ has been hit hard. I am not familier with NJ in terms of town locations but I would like to know if anyone in NJ can tell me about Glen Ridge. My brother lives there and I can't make contact with him. Not a huge worry as he could be out of town or whatever but I am curious as to how hard his area might have been hit. Thanks for any info. -- Al

We dodged the bullit down here.Most have power.Thought is that we were lucky because Sandy made landfall close to us.I don't know about that but there are many experts on tv to let us know.
Mark

Lancaster County, PA. survived without major issues. Tuesday AM..just light rain and mild wind gusts. Creek and river flooding to follow...:mad: Michael

As of 9:30 p.m. Two big pine trees in my front yard are down, as is another portion of the first tree that I mentioned earlier. Basement is flooding because there is no power to operate the sump pumps. But nothing that can't be fixed, and we are all okay. Weather permitting I will start cleaning it up in the morning.

Still no power here, no idea when we will get it back. The two pine trees that fell broke my front stoop and walk, and did a bit of damage to my fence, but no major damage, and most of all nobody hurt. I spent most of the morning cutting up the fallen trees, just need to borrow a chainsaw to cut up the trunks of the pine trees into sections. I took a drive around looking for coffee, and saw the power was out everywhere, bunches of trees and wires down, causing quite a few roads to be closed. Found a deli with a generator and got coffee and hot fresh muffins for everyone. Waiting for the rain to stop again so I can do some more cleanup. Sending Meredith and the kids to a friend's house who has power. Hope all is well with everyone else!

Sandy sinks HMS Bounty replica off N.C.'s Outer Banks
By Laura Elder
The Daily News
Published October 30, 2012

PORTSMOUTH, Va. — Galveston’s plans for a new tourist attraction took a tragic turn Monday when the Tall Ship HMS Bounty was caught in Hurricane Sandy and sank off North Carolina’s Outer Banks.

The U.S. Coast Guard early Monday battled 18-foot seas and 40 mph winds to rescue 14 crew members who had been forced to abandon ship about 90 miles off Cape Hatteras. The Coast Guard found one body and was searching for another crew member late Monday.

The 180-foot, three-masted ship, built for the 1962 film “Mutiny on the Bounty,” was expected to arrive in Galveston by November’s end and berth at Pier 21 until April. The arrival had been highly anticipated by islanders and nautical buffs. The bounty’s owner had been seeking a place to dock the ship in the winter months to allow the captain and crew to go on vacation.

“We hope for the best for the people who were on the ship and that they do find the people who are missing,” Port Director Mike Mierzwa said. “We had really looked forward to them coming here.”

One Still Missing

The body of Claudene Christian, 42, was found Monday evening.

The missing crew member might be the ship’s captain, Robin Walbridge, according to The Associated Press.

He and other sailors were reported to be wearing survival suits designed to help keep them afloat and protected from cold waters for up to 15 hours, according to reports.

Tracie Simonin, the director of the HMS Bounty Organization, said the tall ship had left Connecticut last week en route for St. Petersburg, Fla., the AP reported. The Daily News was unable to reach Simonin on Monday.

“They were staying in constant contact with the National Hurricane Center,” she said. “They were trying to make it around the storm.”

The Coast Guard initially received a call from the Bounty’s owner late Sunday evening, saying communication had been lost with the crew. The Coast Guard in Portsmouth, Va., later received a distress call from the Bounty, confirming its position.

Powerless And Taking Water

The vessel was taking water and was without power, officials said. At the time of the distress call, the ship was taking on 2 feet of water an hour, according to reports. It had taken on about 10 feet when the crew abandoned the ship.

The 16 crew members donned cold-water survival suits and launched two, 25-man lifeboats with canopies. But three people washed overboard before making it onto the lifeboats. Only one was able to make it to the lifeboats, according to reports.

The Coast Guard dispatched two MH-60 Jayhawk helicopters from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., to rescue the crew.

The first Jayhawk arrived about 6:30 a.m. and hoisted five people aboard. A second helicopter rescued nine people. The 14 people were flown to Air Station Elizabeth City, some with injuries that weren’t life-threatening.

Days before it sank, the Bounty’s crew had set a new course to avoid the brunt of Hurricane Sandy. However, a statement on its website acknowledged, “this will be a tough voyage for Bounty,” the Tampa Bay Times reported.

The ship left Connecticut on Thursday when Sandy was over Cuba, and its path and effect on the East Coast was still somewhat uncertain. Sandy was forecast to be several hundred miles off the Carolina Coast, and the Outer Banks were not in the cone of uncertainty, according to reports.

Galveston Connection

In September, the Port of Galveston’s governing board approved an agreement that would allow the Bounty to berth at Pier 21, a move expected to greatly increase winter tourism downtown.

The port had been working to finalize agreements with the ship’s operator and had been working to secure fenders for its protection at Pier 21, Mierzwa said.

The ship was the only wooden square-rigger in North America operating as a sail-training vessel, according to The HMS Bounty Organization. By all accounts, the ship was a big tourist attraction on the East Coast.

Port officials had hoped the Bounty would complement, and perhaps be marketed with, the 1877 Tall Ship Elissa, which is at the Bollinger Shipyard in Texas City for hull repairs. The Elissa, a three-masted square-rigged barque, is expected to return to its Pier 22 berth next month.

Storied Past

The Bounty is a replica of one of the world’s most famous ships, widely known for the story of a British crew that sailed to Tahiti and in April 1789 mutinied while en route to England. The mutineers cast the ship’s captain, William Bligh, and the crew loyal to him adrift in a 23-foot boat in the South Pacific Ocean. The mutineers then sailed back to Tahiti and onward and eventually to Pitcairn Island, where the ship was burned to prevent detection, according to historic accounts.

MGM sailed the replica Bounty around the world to promote its film, bringing it to New York for the World’s Fair in 1964.

The ship left St. Petersburg and Tampa Bay to go to Miami and travel the West Coast, East Coast and Great Lakes. In 1993, media tycoon Ted Turner donated the ship to the city of Fall River, Mass.

A Long Island businessman purchased the ship in 2001, and the Bounty returned to the sea in July 2002 after undergoing $1.5 million in renovations in Boothbay Harbor, Maine. It was the first of what was supposed to be a three-phase renovation to restore the ship to the grandeur of her Hollywood days.

While “safe and seaworthy” below the waterline, the ship was a work in progress, officials had said. Another $1.5 million in renovations had been planned.
Along with “Mutiny on the Bounty,” the ship had made appearances in documentaries and film productions, including Disney’s “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest.”

“We thought it would provide a little spark for tourism down on The Strand and the seaport area,” Mierzwa said. “We were pretty excited for the prospect of having both the Bounty and the Elissa.”

Copyright 2011 The Galveston County Daily News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Related Items

• Video: Coast Guard rescues members of HMS Bounty crew

Attachments

• 1031_loc_bounty8.jpg
    1031_loc_bounty8.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 105
What a shame,especially for the loss of life.Are these storms going to be the norm in the future?I know nobody can really answer that but it's scary to think about.
Mark

A couple of big trees down, one taking out part of a fence we built in 2011. Someone will need to cut those up. Drove around a little. Lot of down trees and perilous wires.

I have lived in NJ all of my life and never felt wind gust like that. My power went off at 2:30 pm and came back on around 11:00 pm last night. Luckily I suffered no damage, but the NJ shore line has been decimated. Atlantic City was flooded I just heard that some the boardwalk rides in Seaside are in the ocean. They're are boats on the railroad tracks in Point Pleasant.

Well I'm glad my friends and fellow forum members either on the East coast or in New York or further inland are all ok as I write this this evening. Watching the news and the damage looks huge across a wide area. I send my best wishes to all you guys and to your families and friends and hope you are back to normal as soon as poss.

Rob

AND Hackensack better be on for this weekend.............

TD

I wouldn't count on it at this point; Bergen county/the city of Hackensack have been declared a disaster area as the Hackensack river crested and more than 5 feet of water flooded the town. The Hackensack river runs directly behind the college by the way.................

I was off today and saw plenty coverage of the hardest hit areas, unbelievable is about as good of a word to use in describing what I saw on the news reports today, so much destruction along the East Coast, it will take some time before alot of those areas can recover, and as far as my family/ friends/forum friends sounds like all came through with the exception of downed trees/ some small flooding and some mionor damage none were hurt and no major damage done, so I thank my good Lord for that, and prey that there are better days ahead for these areas...Sammy

I wouldn't count on it at this point; Bergen county/the city of Hackensack have been declared a disaster area as the Hackensack river crested and more than 5 feet of water flooded the town. The Hackensack river runs directly behind the college by the way.................

Hi George,
Probably right. Oh well, it does say the update yesterday on the website that the show is still on, but I just wonder, probably depends on how quickly the water recedes and how high up the center is, and the power of course.

TD

Hi George,
Probably right. Oh well, it does say the update yesterday on the website that the show is still on, but I just wonder, probably depends on how quickly the water recedes and how high up the center is, and the power of course.

TD

Tom,
I spoke too soon, looks like the show is still on.

Sorry for any wrong information.......................it is still a go at this point.

Regards,

George

Tom,
I spoke too soon, looks like the show is still on.

Sorry for any wrong information.......................it is still a go at this point.

Regards,

George

Neither rains/storms/floods/hurricane/storm of the century can keep a soldier show from going forward!!! that's just how we roll:)...Sammy

Bergen County is where I grew up and went to school. Hard to believe that it got hit so hard by the storm. Who would ever think. Best of luck to all !!!

Bergen County is where I grew up and went to school. Hard to believe that it got hit so hard by the storm. Who would ever think. Best of luck to all !!!

It wasn't that bad until the levee broke last night, what a mess.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back