Fancy a Knight out in Agincourt? (2 Viewers)

Yes - certainly is an amazing selection of figures there. Will have to wait a bit for the ££££ to catch up a bit on the €€€€€€€€ though! Thanks for the tip John - I guess that we both learned something from that - including thew fact that they are also available in the USA from Dutkins.

Marvelous thing - this forum. jb

I promised to post a better pic of the foot-knights when they were all finished - so did this one showing all of their shields with coats of arms - so here it is.

That's all I have for now - so that's it! johnnybach:D

knight21.jpg

I almost forgot about one poor little lad for this group - so have put him in now. With all the fancy weaponary about - I clean forgot about him. He is a Herald Trumpeter - another very old Britains figure - first available around 1933. This one is a re-cast and I have painted him as a young blonde lad! Lovely little thing to paint too - and really looks the part with the rest of the Knights.

Now that DEFINITELY is the last one - at least - for now......jb

Heraldtrumpeter.jpg

I thought you might like to see a new figure that I am going to add to my "Medieval Department", so have resurrected this earlier thread. He is, of course, Owain Glyndwr - shown here about 1406, having just been crowned "Prince of Wales" by his newly appointed "Parliament" in Mycynlleth - and currently under development here.

I made him by purchasing a casting of The Black Prince by Hussar Miniatures (Medieval Range HK17) - but remodeled him slightly and have begun re-painting him in the correct livery for this time. ( I already have a version of the Black Prince - by Tradition of London).

Owain was born around 1349 (no-one is quite sure exactly) and died around 1416 ( again - no-one is quite certain) - but he definitely existed, and was the last Welsh born person to hold the title "Prince of Wales", although he was half English himself. The son of a Knight, he came from an enobled family - and was educated in London, before leading a rebellion in Wales, that inevitably failed eventually.

I have long wanted him in my collection, and found this lovely casting to modify. I think the first of the two pics below, show him wistfully looking backwards as he disappears into history. The second shows me developing the Capparison of his war-horse. I'll photo him again and post him with some of my other Knights when he is completed. jb

OwainG01.jpg

OwainG02.jpg

I finished painting my version of Owain Glyndwr, Prince of Wales, (c.1406), today. So, as I already had a version of The Prince of Wales (Edward - The Black Prince) - I thought that I would put him alongside my latest version.

Historically, of course - this could never have happened (Edward died in 1376) - but couldn't resist the pic. See four views of them below. Both came as castings; Owain is a version from Hussar - and The Black Prince (which I have shown before - The one holding a mace), is from Tradition of London.

Princes01.jpg

Princes02.jpg

Princes03.jpg

Princes04.jpg

They are just beautiful. You must have the patience of a saint to paint those caparisons!!

The trick is - to paint each side - then let it dry. Then line each side, let it dry - then varnish.

That way you reduce chances of smudging.

Lastly - varnish the figure. Just take it quietly - and after a couple of weeks - bits at a time - it's done. JB

Glad you think he's beautiful - 'cos he is a lwonderfully imaginitive pose - and as soon as I saw him - I knew he was right for Owain. jb

Thanks Jeff - one more coat to go on Owain - and then he's finished too.

Have a ^&cool yule............jb

Finally remembered to get around to giving Owain his final coat of high-gloss varnish (Tamiya). 3 views below. Makes all the difference. jb

PIC_13722.jpg

PIC_1370.jpg

PIC_1371.jpg

Hi TallonMan - Most of the figures you show there are re-casts of Britains "Knights of Agincourt" - collected from a variety of sources. If you have a look back through the thread, you will see where they came from, and how I went about researching the Heraldry - and how I eventually decided to paint them. The two slightly larger figures at the back were bought as castings - from Tradition of London. Glad you like them - great fun to paint. johnnybach

Checked out your development of figures - very nice indeed - you have a talent for it.

Hi johnny

yeah your work is definitely an improvement on the original colour schemes, i always think it must have been quite the spectacle to see all the blazonry on the field of battle.
Thanks for the encouragement, i'm hoping to sell them at some point but haven't got the casting process down to a 't' yet

Tallonfigures

Hi again Tallon - Thanks for the compliment - but always remember it's the sculpts that are all important. Those Knights of Agincourt were sculpted by a marvelously talented man, Roy Selwyn Smith. Have a look for some of HIS wonderful painting of those figures. He sold them to Britains in the 1950's - who then produced them under that name - albeit in rather plain liveries. What I attempted to do - goes back much further to other really great companies and painters. Have a look at any Ping figures or the work of Richard Courteny - just to mention two names to look out for - or even some early German flats by companies like Heyde. Marvelous stuff.

I agree also with your comments about some of the great Medieval Battles - or even Jousting Tournaments. They must have been stunning spectacles. A good way of getting ideas for painting figures, that you might already know about, is to have a look at Military Print companies. One that springs to mind, is Cranston Fine Art Studios. They have section on all sorts of eras - and the Medieval section is a source of some really good ideas for figures and painting too.

Get the sculpt right though - and you will be on to a winner. Best of luck to you with your endevours. I often say that without guys like you - guys like me would have nothing to paint! Have a look at the Castings section on the Forum from time to time as well. I know a few casters now - and they will surely welcome another Brother in Arms, for sure, and may even be able to help you out with some advice, now and then.

All the best - johnnybach

Well - not exactly Agincourt for these two lads - who pre-date that Battle - but what better place to show them.

A recent purchase of the book in the background ( Heraldic Miniature Knights by Peter Greenhill), has set me off down this path once again. I've shown Richard the Lionheart at the rear before - but he seemed to rather fit in with my newest creation seen in the foreground. Once again, this figure is based on a real person, Sir Robert, Lord Holland, shown here circa 1320, mounted and charging with lance.

My own figure is not exactly the same as the Courtney-Greenhill - but is based on an illustration in the above book - which I immediately fell head over heels with when I saw it! ( Op.cit. Fig.5.26, page 107). The original has a drawn sword - but I wanted him with couched lance in hand.

A check with my Bank Manager confirmed that I was unlikely to ever own a Greenhill Miniatures example, - besides - I like painting my own figures. SO.........on with the thinking cap!

The solution came by way of some parts from re-cast Selwyn-Smith's Knights of Agincourt, originally produced in the 1950's. With a change of arm, extra weapons, some Milliput to modify and make the parts fit better and a splash or two of paint - and hey presto!- Sir Robert rides again - and I have another Medieval Knight for my cabinet. Here's a couple of views below. Hope you like them. jb

Wow Johnny these are excellent! Makes want to break out my copy of Ivanhoe and revel in the pageantry! I have a few knights laying around that I guess will need to be brought to life again. You are a fantastic artist my friend! Do you ever do any commission work?

Dave

Wow Johnny these are excellent! Makes want to break out my copy of Ivanhoe and revel in the pageantry! I have a few knights laying around that I guess will need to be brought to life again. You are a fantastic artist my friend! Do you ever do any commission work?

Dave

Whatever you do Dave - don't buy that book!!!! You will be lost if you do. Peter Greenhill is the fabulous artist Dave - not me. I'm a bit of a copyist - though in the less difficult Toy Soldier style, though I am glad you like them too. As to working for others - I don't really think that I'm good enough to do that - and I'm so slow, that it takes me all my time to keep up my own collection, so sorry about that. Grab a brush - and have a go yourself Dave, it isn't that difficult once you get started:D jb

Looks nice Johnny. Is this figure about 90mm in size?

Chuck

Hi Chuck - No - he's a 54mm piece from Fusilier Miniatures in the UK. Here's a link to him below. Note that they painted him as another Prince of Wales ( The Black Prince) - but I just painted him a bit differently as an earlier Prince - Owain Glyndwr. Not expensive either, as a casting ( though they can do them painted too). Glad you liked him. jb^&grin

http://www.fusilier-miniatures.com/ImageBH.asp?CODE=HK17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back