JJD JagdPanther Pics. (1 Viewer)

Hello,

As something of a Jagdpanther enthusiast I'd like to call attention to some possible ahistorical elements of JJ's Jagdpanther. The model they have doesn't have any period photographic evidence to support it (at least not that I have seen, and I have requested some from JJ).

JJ's current prototype version has a G1 rear deck but a G2 late bolted mantlet opening. To be a true late Jagdpanther, hence a G2, there would need to be consistency, which means that the rear deck would need to be like that on a Panther G (with the engine intake heater and a few more adjusted details). To be a true G1 version there would be no bolted mantlet opening. I hope that I am wrong about all this--and perhaps someone can correct me--but for some reason modeling companies seem to struggle with depicting accurate Jagdpanthers.

Cheers!

I am no expert, but I do like the look of the JagdPanther. I have felt that there are really three versions of the JagdPanther. The first is the G1 model, but the G2 came in two phases. In June 1944, the mantlet was changed, but the rear deck remained that of the G1 (modified Panther A) with four tail pipes. Is this a late G1 or an early G2? For the sake of argument, let's call it an early G2. Later that year after September, the rear deck was changed to have the engine intake heater and the two tail pipe design (modified Panther G). Let's call this the final G2 model. I do not have photos in support of my nomenclature, but I will offer a bit of evidence. I collect 1/48 Tamiya masterworks models. They have two JagdPanthers that they label as late production, 26516 and 26518. 26516 looks a lot like JJ's model with four tail pipes and no engine intake heater. 26518 has the engine heater and two tail pipes. Both have the G2 mantlet.

So, I believe that both you and John are correct. The final G2 Jagdpanther looked as you described, while the early G2/late G1 change looks like this model. No matter the name, this model seems to be an accurate Jagdpanzer. I am pleased to have pre-ordered it and I hope John makes the other two versions (G1 and final G2).

The most inaccurate 1/30 scale Jagdpanther to date was the Honor Bound; which for unknown reasons had no roof slope. The best was the CS; which had an opening rear hatch and Schurtzen that could be positioned to taste.

The JJD Jagdpanther is the most accurate 1/30 model yet produced IMO; with the best features of the CS Jagdpanther plus the engine hatch and superior details and paint. Ideally it would have the spark arrester exhausts, perhaps the next model will. The Panther G hull went through several iterations during production, some features were not added in a regular manor due to production delays and parts shortages i.e. some late production Jagdpanthers had spark arrester exhausts and some did not, although they may have been produced at the same time. Photographic evidence is difficult to obtain for all versions due to the small number manufactured, a total of 413 units between January 1944 and April 1945 when the manufacturing plants were captured. The Panther G hull did not have the crew heater added until October 1944.

Hello,

As something of a Jagdpanther enthusiast I'd like to call attention to some possible ahistorical elements of JJ's Jagdpanther. The model they have doesn't have any period photographic evidence to support it (at least not that I have seen, and I have requested some from JJ).

JJ's current prototype version has a G1 rear deck but a G2 late bolted mantlet opening. To be a true late Jagdpanther, hence a G2, there would need to be consistency, which means that the rear deck would need to be like that on a Panther G (with the engine intake heater and a few more adjusted details). To be a true G1 version there would be no bolted mantlet opening. I hope that I am wrong about all this--and perhaps someone can correct me--but for some reason modeling companies seem to struggle with depicting accurate Jagdpanthers.

Cheers!

According to Treefrog the JJD Jagdpanther is a pre-order item at this time. Availability is July 2017. Please note the length dimension cited on Treefrog as 23cm is the hull length, not the overall length; which should be about 32cm. The JJD Jagdpanther is a true 1/30 scale per the dimensions cited.

You're a little tardy. The price was announced a couple of weeks ago, $268.

Hello,

The above is not accurate. While most people refer to it as a gun mantlet, it's actually called a gun recess (Geschuentzeznische). The larger bolted Geschuentzeznische (there's actually 5 different versions if memory serves) that sits externally on the front glacis is not a feature unique to the G2. Beginning in June '44 wanne were cut for the new gun recess, which initially sat flush in the hole but was bolted on. In October '44 Jagdpanthers were produced with the larger external gun recess.

Again the larger external gun recess was not a feature unique to the G2, both G2 and late G1 Jagdpanthers had it and multiple historic pics of it on G1 Jagdpanthers exist. The Aberdeen Jagdpanther is a late G1 in this configuration. Pictures below is a quick collage with G1s in this configuration.

My computer died on me that has all my reference pics. Waiting for a new computer to get delivered, but I'll to post pictures later showing more late G1s in this configuration. Just bear with me as I am doing all this on a phone.

jjjjjjj.jpg

You are partly correct. The JJD Jagdpanther is an Ausf G2. identified by the large outside bolted gun mantlet, single vision port for the driver and 2 piece gun barrel. You are correct in that most of the Jagdpanther Ausf. G2. produced had a rear deck of a modified Panther G rear deck. The G engine deck is easily spotted by the raised armoured fan tower over the left engine cooling exhaust fan upgraded to service a crew compartment heater introduced in late October 1944. The JJD model has 2 fans that are flush mounted on the deck, typical of the modified Panther Ausf A rear deck (no raised fan tower) as a Jagdpanther Ausf. G1. However, sub-series Wanne Nr. 300051 to Wanne Nr. 300300, about 250 Jagdpanthers were produced with the features of a Jagdpanther Ausf. G2 except with the old Panther Ausf. A engine compartment layout. The JJD model is one of those 250 Jagdpanthers in that sub-series.

Terry

The JJD Jagdpanther is a late production Ausf G1.

The large bolted external gun recess, 2-piece barrel, and single vision port are not differentiating features and appear on both late G1s and G2s. The primary easily identifiable difference between a G1 and G2 is the engine deck and exhaust layout. The G1 using the engine configuration and crew compartment heating system of the Panther Ausf A and the G2 using the engine layout and raised crew compartment heater of the Panther Ausf G.

The tool stowage also differs between G1s having the tools mounted on the sides of hull (from the factory) while G2s mounting the tools on the rear engine deck and rear hull (from the factory). Note that tool stowage is not a 100% way to tell if it is a G1 or G2. A unit modification by s.Pz.Jag.Abt. 654 moved all their tools to the rear on their G1s. This configuration change was recommended by 654 based on combat experience in Normandy and later adopted by the factories as the stowage arrangement for G2s.

Lastly it looks like you are quoting Jentz for the Wanne numbers. The actual quote from Panzer-Tracts by Jentz is that G1 configuration ended with Wanne Nr. 300300 and G2 production began with Wanne Nr. 300301.

Last edited:
Schematics of this configuration G1 Jagdpanther are also in Jentz's Panzertracts book for those who have it.

Here's the rear of the Aberdeen Jagdpanther and engine deck as well as when it was captured in the Bulge (main pic of three pic collage).

53761610.jpg

jagdpanther_117_of_132.jpg

jjjjjjj.jpg

01Jagdpanther.jpg

Here's one from the Bulge of a 560th G1 with the large external bolted gun recess.

post-35766-0-13809000-1497236206.jpg

G1, note this Wanne was cut for the early two-hole vision bloc for driver but assembled/welded with the one hole vision bloc, yet has the later large gun recess. Shows the variety produced.
20150512180122.jpg

Last edited:
Great photos Hunter, hard to believe as a 9-10 year old I was climbing over that very Jagdpanther!!!!!!! my sister lived less then an hour from Aberdeen Md. and during a few Summer visits we went there, had the run of the place as I remember there were very few people at the Museum both times, if I only knew :)

Great photos Hunter, hard to believe as a 9-10 year old I was climbing over that very Jagdpanther!!!!!!! my sister lived less then an hour from Aberdeen Md. and during a few Summer visits we went there, had the run of the place as I remember there were very few people at the Museum both times, if I only knew :)

Sammy:

The joy of youth no doubt protected you from wondering what type of gun recess, engine decks etc. you were or were not climbing on!

-Jason

Sammy:

The joy of youth no doubt protected you from wondering what type of gun recess, engine decks etc. you were or were not climbing on!

-Jason

You got that right Jason!!!! I thinkI will contact my sis to see if she has any photos of our visits, I know for sure of climbing on the German Elephant tank and getting a photo taking.

Just glad to see the measures have been taking to properly restore, and house many of the vehicles, tanks etc. that were at the Proving Grounds, I believe that Ft. Lee in Petersburg is in the process of a proper display and a few of the tanks such as the Elephant are now in famous Museums like Bovington in the UK.

You got that right Jason!!!! I thinkI will contact my sis to see if she has any photos of our visits, I know for sure of climbing on the German Elephant tank and getting a photo taking.

Just glad to see the measures have been taking to properly restore, and house many of the vehicles, tanks etc. that were at the Proving Grounds, I believe that Ft. Lee in Petersburg is in the process of a proper display and a few of the tanks such as the Elephant are now in famous Museums like Bovington in the UK.

See Pictures below, great vehicles and wonderful museum, for me the best in the world [have been the major museums in France, Germany, UK and USA]

jp1.jpg

jp2.jpg

Plus a couple of others that you might be interested in,

te1.jpg
te2.jpg

kt1.jpg

To find them all under one roof is magical and super amazing. History don't you love it. Robin.

Sammy, those were the days, I lived 12 minutes to the gate back when there wasn't traffic! Sadly all of those vehicles are mostly in storage between Forts Lee and Benning.

TD

Sammy, don't bet on ever seeing the proving ground collection again like that, Lee is only keeping the Rail Gun and you have to go out of your way to even find Annie. It is quite sad, but there are now no plans for display the last time I checked, it is BS if you ask me.
TD

Sammy, don't bet on ever seeing the proving ground collection again like that, Lee is only keeping the Rail Gun and you have to go out of your way to even find Annie. It is quite sad, but there are now no plans for display the last time I checked, it is BS if you ask me.
TD

I had heard about something like that in a previous thread, why then move them at all if there wasn't going to be a location for show??? BS for real:mad::mad:

That is too bad. I remember going down there as early as around 2003. It was just amazing to see the Panthers. Although my favorite was the Hetzer even though it was sectionalized (not sure if word)

Hello,

Cheers!

So, what became of Aronia?:confused:

Please, no one take that question seriously;)

Just wanted to highlight the absence.:rolleyes:

-Moe

The Armor Museums are being consolidated at the new National Armor and Cavalry Museum at Fort Benning Columbus, Georgia which is now the primary U.S. Armor Museum. The Patton Museum armor was transferred there in 2010. The collection of U.S. Armor is currently being restored and a new museum built. The museum is scheduled to open in 2020.

Last edited:
The Armor Museums are being consolidated at the new National Armor and Cavalry Museum at Fort Benning Columbus, Georgia which is now the primary U.S. Armor Museum. The Patton Museum armor was transferred there in 2010. The collection of U.S. Armor is currently being restored and a new museum built. The museum is scheduled to open in 2020.

We in Kentucky was robbed! {sm2} Tanks and vehicles were brought out of the museum every yr for a reenactment battle for the public. Included M4s and a Hetzer. When do get to see armor battles outside of a movie?

And all the vehicles were on display outside. Chris

Dear Collectors,

I received my Jagdpanther tank this morning and it is nothing short of spectacular! The overall quality of the model is amazing and shows you what a talent John Jenkins is in creating this model.

Alex ^&cool^&cool^&cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back