Mlb 2024 (1 Viewer)

Blake Snell looked great in his Giants debut, 3 innings, 3 earned runs for a 9.00 era.

The MLB Players Association is now claiming that the pitch clock is responsible for recent pitching injuries.

Ferguson Jenkins (among other pitchers) pitched an unprecedented amount of complete games in eras that had game times at, or often below, current pitch clock game times.

All with no injuries.
I still find it ridiculous that 5-6 innings is considered acceptable for a SP in this day and age. -- Al

I still find it ridiculous that 5-6 innings is considered acceptable for a SP in this day and age. -- Al

So do I Al. When you see how many games Bob Gibson, Fergie Jenkins ,Carlton, Seaver, Nolan Ryan and many more completed you wonder what's with these pitchers these days. Give me the old days much more fun.
Mark

Different age.
Sure is. Today, pitchers are expected to go all-out on every pitch, throw as hard as they can, for as long as they can. No let up, so they can't possibly last too far into games. Not an approach I care for. -- Al

Sure is. Today, pitchers are expected to go all-out on every pitch, throw as hard as they can, for as long as they can. No let up, so they can't possibly last too far into games. Not an approach I care for. -- Al

You must have read that Athletic article.

The thing is that the drive to produce pitchers who throw as hard as possible sacrifices control. What good is a pitcher who throws 99 miles an hour if he can't find the strike zone? I think that is a contributing factor, along with incompetent home plate umpiring, that drove the length of ball games up, that led to multiple foul-off at bats, and then triggered responses that have really done nothing to address the issue. The only recent rule that has helped reduce the length of a game is the pitch clock. Enforcing that the batter stay in the box also helps. But the umpires could have done those things before. But the other rules, like the ghost runner in extra innings, limiting mound visits, limiting pick-off throws, don't really shorten the game. Enforcing that the pitcher throw the ball as soon as possible brought the average game time back down from around 3 hours to around 2 and a half, about where it was around 15 years ago or so.

Now that MLB has decided there is an epidemic of arm injuries, maybe there will be some direction away from throwing hard back to throwing reasonable hard but with greater accuracy.

I heard a retired player refer to the rules coming out of MLB as rules made by guys who never played the game, to make it more like what they think it should be. I think that's pretty observant. And yes, allowing for participation of former players in the process. Those former players don't make the decision to have a rule, they just craft them.

Prost!
Brad

The thing is that the drive to produce pitchers who throw as hard as possible sacrifices control. What good is a pitcher who throws 99 miles an hour if he can't find the strike zone? I think that is a contributing factor, along with incompetent home plate umpiring, that drove the length of ball games up, that led to multiple foul-off at bats, and then triggered responses that have really done nothing to address the issue. The only recent rule that has helped reduce the length of a game is the pitch clock. Enforcing that the batter stay in the box also helps. But the umpires could have done those things before. But the other rules, like the ghost runner in extra innings, limiting mound visits, limiting pick-off throws, don't really shorten the game. Enforcing that the pitcher throw the ball as soon as possible brought the average game time back down from around 3 hours to around 2 and a half, about where it was around 15 years ago or so.

Now that MLB has decided there is an epidemic of arm injuries, maybe there will be some direction away from throwing hard back to throwing reasonable hard but with greater accuracy.

I heard a retired player refer to the rules coming out of MLB as rules made by guys who never played the game, to make it more like what they think it should be. I think that's pretty observant. And yes, allowing for participation of former players in the process. Those former players don't make the decision to have a rule, they just craft them.

Prost!
Brad

As various articles have noted, the problems start in high school and possibly before. Dr. James Andrews observed that he’s now doing many surgeries on high schoolers which used to be a rarity.

So do I Al. When you see how many games Bob Gibson, Fergie Jenkins ,Carlton, Seaver, Nolan Ryan and many more completed you wonder what's with these pitchers these days. Give me the old days much more fun.
Mark
Mark, from the game and players we remember, the pitching stats are almost unbelievable when compared to today's game. From 1967-1975, Jenkins started 350 games and completed 198; Gibson 1965-72, completed 172 of 263; Marichal 1964-69, completed 146 of 206. Wilbur Wood, a LHP for the White Sox, had a run from 1971-75 that was incredible. During those 5 years, he averaged 45 starts, 20 complete games, 360 innings, and 21 wins per season. Mythical numbers compared to the game today. I miss the game that used to be, but nothing stays the same, and I'm just an old geezer that has been a baseball fan for 64 years wondering where my heroes of the 60's have gone. -- Al

Same deal in the NBA. Some guys used to play 40 plus minutes every game for the entire 82-game season. Now they have to "load manage". Anthony Davis sat out an important Lakers game last night because he had a headache. Of course they lost. He is an incredible player but no heart of a champion. Most modern professional players just want to make as much money for as long as possible. Nothing wrong with that but they realize the level of competition is such that winning championships is not in the cards. They aren't risking their careers going the extra mile. Players like Brady, Jordan, and Magic who need to win championships are rare.

Sounds like Ohtani's story is checking out so far according to the DOJ. The translator is facing decades in prison for stealing up to $16 million. All the winnings went into his account. Maybe he flips and tries to convince the authorities that he was a patsy but otherwise he is toast. At the very least, his life is destroyed.

Hard to believe someone could grab 16 million and no one notices. Maybe Ohtani doesn't look at his accounts everyday but I'm sure he has accountants that keep tabs on things.
Mark

Hard to believe someone could grab 16 million and no one notices. Maybe Ohtani doesn't look at his accounts everyday but I'm sure he has accountants that keep tabs on things.
Mark

As I understand it, this guy was trusted by Ohtani. He gained access to his bank accounts and pretended to be him. He changed the passwords and codes so that no one else had access but all the winnings went into the translator's account. It wouldn't take a master criminal if Ohtani trusted the guy as apparently did. The DOJ also confirmed that none of the bets were on baseball. Is it possible that Ohtani was still behind the bets and this was all a set up? Not likely. Why bother with all that? And if it is, I'm sure this guy is not going to jail for years without saying so. If Ohtani is lying to the feds and he was involved, his issues will be larger than baseball. That would be a crime.

The Dodgers obviously have a ton of talent but so far it is not translating to anything close to dominance. The pitching is woeful. 14 walks last night. The most since the early 60s. It's a long season but so far so bad.

Justice delayed is a travesty. Bauer was run out of MLB without due process based on this allegation. He should win a lawsuit against MLB and the Dodgers.

ESPN: "A woman who accused former major league pitcher Trevor Bauer of sexual assault has been indicted by a grand jury in Arizona on felony charges of fraudulent schemes and theft by extortion."

It is so great to see teams bringing up potential all-stars from their minor league teams.

It is not so great when I realize that the Giants do not have any top notch prospects.

It is early but the Snell signing is not looking good for the Giants.

0-3 with an era of 11.57.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back