My Flat Collection (1 Viewer)

Recieved another St. Peterburg parcel, This for the most part completes the Assyrian ancients group, here is mounted group.
Ray

Lovely Ray. As usual, your excellent posts and pics are just a master-class for a beginner at painting these like me. Some of the styles of painting are quite different to each other - but all follow the basic principles of light and shade, shadow and highlighting in many areas. I think that I have learned MOST about how to go about it,( and still learning), from your superb thread here.

Many thanks - still an avid fan - jb:D

Thank you JB, your great skill with your flat projects is the best possible compliment you could give.
The threadis just about sharing the art.
There is going to be a huge auction of flat sets by the true masters in France, here's a link:

http://www.figurines-soldats.com/vente-figurines-Drouot.pdf

not enough pictures and I just laugh at the price estimates, I suggest you blow up the size of the photos on this PDF and check out the detail, just amazing! especially lot 42 several knights Impossible detail...I drool.....
Ray

Thank you JB, your great skill with your flat projects is the best possible compliment you could give.
The threadis just about sharing the art.
There is going to be a huge auction of flat sets by the true masters in France, here's a link:

http://www.figurines-soldats.com/vente-figurines-Drouot.pdf

not enough pictures and I just laugh at the price estimates, I suggest you blow up the size of the photos on this PDF and check out the detail, just amazing! especially lot 42 several knights Impossible detail...I drool.....
Ray

Yes - I see what you mean Ray, verra nice. And yes, I agree - more pictures required!!

I still prefer to paint 'em myself though, in the less detailed toy Soldier style that I like - which is a darn sight less expensive than the estimates for some of these.{eek3} The fun for me is not just the ownership of the pieces - it's knowing that I can get there - by painting them myself, in the way that I like best.

I'm just pleased that there are still people who make these things - that will still supply them at reasonable prices in unpainted casting form - for them to enjoy their own form of the hobby.

Now..................I wonder if my artillerymen are safe to handle yet?? See you later Ray.:salute::jb

Found another of a group of flat sets which I'm always looking for and almost never finding, last time about 2yrs ago, this set is russian foot artillery, don't believe the cannon is original.
Just love the style and quality...
Ray

To continue the Russian Artillery theme and to counter JB Grand French Battery, Russian Horse Artillery Battery set to fire!

I learned something from these beauties, Ray. Just measured my two French artillery sets for a base - similar to the ones you have for each team - as my connectors are very similar to yours. I'll cut the bases to length and width back in the UK - and bring them back with me next time - then fit all my pieces to the base - connect up and paint the new bits to match.

The only difference with my French versions, is they have six horses per team - but I can now clearly see exactly how these connect to the limber, for the wheelers - and splinter bar for the centre pair (lead pair on your example). My lead pair will connect directly to the Horse Collars of my centre pair - as they would have in real life.

That's a lovely collection of Russian figures, Ray. Can you give us a few more details about them please??? :D jb

I learned something from these beauties, Ray. Just measured my two French artillery sets for a base - similar to the ones you have for each team - as my connectors are very similar to yours. I'll cut the bases to length and width back in the UK - and bring them back with me next time - then fit all my pieces to the base - connect up and paint the new bits to match.

The only difference with my French versions, is they have six horses per team - but I can now clearly see exactly how these connect to the limber, for the wheelers - and splinter bar for the centre pair (lead pair on your example). My lead pair will connect directly to the Horse Collars of my centre pair - as they would have in real life.

That's a lovely collection of Russian figures, Ray. Can you give us a few more details about them please??? :D jb

Thank you for your support as always JB, really not much more to tell, I always have a dilema about wether to assemble sets like this or not, mainly concerns about storage and display.
However, your French Artillery threw down the Gantlet! and I was forced into the effort, though a labor of love. the lead team was pretty straight forward but the second team was the same size as far as hookup and didn't fit behind the lead pair, was forced to cut the harness lenght dow considerably to fit. if it's the properly configured from a harnessing stand point, I'm not sure but it was all I had to work with. Actually my favorite figure of the galloping set is the team member carrying the ramrod as he is galloping.

I See a parcel has arrived from Europe so more pics soon!

Hi again Ray, thanks for that. Yes - I do understand your dilema - keep them as separate pieces - or - make them up to give a 3D effect??

Well - I think your choice to display them the way you have is outstandingly good.

I'm going to try and emulate some of what you have done with my French outfit. I've measured them up - so will bring back my bits next year - and try to set 'em up the same way. I think I'll also have a look around for some additional figures - such as the mounted gun teams. My current set has the six drivers , with two additional mounted NCO's and one Officer - but no actual gunners. And yes - the guy carrying the ramrod is an unusual - but superb piece, in his own right. :cool:

I like your scenery and background buildings too Ray - what's the story on those????:D jb

Hi again Ray, thanks for that. Yes - I do understand your dilema - keep them as separate pieces - or - make them up to give a 3D effect??

Well - I think your choice to display them the way you have is outstandingly good.

I'm going to try and emulate some of what you have done with my French outfit. I've measured them up - so will bring back my bits next year - and try to set 'em up the same way. I think I'll also have a look around for some additional figures - such as the mounted gun teams. My current set has the six drivers , with two additional mounted NCO's and one Officer - but no actual gunners. And yes - the guy carrying the ramrod is an unusual - but superb piece, in his own right. :cool:

I like your scenery and background buildings too Ray - what's the story on those????:D jb

Jb,
Thank you again and I look forward to the Frech version, overall, glueing the pieces to a plastic sheat has really strenghtened the team as a whole, the rigging was very fragile, but glueing the together and onto the plastic does wonders
I've finally got settled in the new house and the weather has cooled. I have a work area in the garage were I can put a table and lighting and not have to tear it down immediately to make room for life. so I've pulled out some of the scenery I've built and collected over the years, laser cut 28mm building for wargaming scenery, some road tiles, trees etc. You should start to see a regular flow of scenery Pics.
Here is a couple of other recently arrived figures King Edward and bannerman at the Battle of Crecy

Jb,
Thank you again and I look forward to the Frech version, overall, glueing the pieces to a plastic sheat has really strenghtened the team as a whole, the rigging was very fragile, but glueing the together and onto the plastic does wonders
I've finally got settled in the new house and the weather has cooled. I have a work area in the garage were I can put a table and lighting and not have to tear it down immediately to make room for life. so I've pulled out some of the scenery I've built and collected over the years, laser cut 28mm building for wargaming scenery, some road tiles, trees etc. You should start to see a regular flow of scenery Pics.
Here is a couple of other recently arrived figures King Edward and bannerman at the Battle of Crecy

Thanks for the Crecy figures Ray, most useful. As you know, I have the set of castings of those figures by Wolfgang Friedrich back waiting for me in the UK. I'll be taking them with me to NZ - to paint there, next year. Ilike to collect as many pics as I can before starting to paint - so those excellently painted versions will be going into my file for them.

I've decided that from now on - that's what I'm going to do. The larger fully round side of my hobby, will become my main focus when I'm in the UK - and Flats will be my NZ projects. Flats are much easier to transport - and store than their larger brothers - so will suit me better now, when I'm there.

Here's a link for the Katalog - for this engraver ( which others may find useful too) - which includes the Crecy figures. He does some lovely work. I've seen quite a few of these offered for sale already painted at Berliner Zinnfiguren too. Again, I save the pics to a file - where I can - as they are so useful as painting guides for me.

http://www.zinnfigurenfreunde-leipzig.de/her/wf/wf-2.htm

Thanks again Ray - They are wonderful figures. :D jb:salute::

P.S regarding my last post link to Wolgang Friedrich:

If you click on Bilder (next to Katalog) - this means Pictures - and will take you to some painted versions of the work. There are several of these which are painted Crecy Range. Just click on the small thumbnail pic. - and it will come up as an enlarged version. Again, very useful as painting guides.

Cheers Ray - I'll get back to my Garage now - as that's where MY desk is too. jb

Thank you for the link JB and I look forward to your work.
Here are a couple more, the Kings horseman carrying the banner of the King.
On the French side Airmar De Monteil, Bishop of Metz.
Ray

Thank you for the link JB and I look forward to your work.
Here are a couple more, the Kings horseman carrying the banner of the King.
On the French side Airmar De Monteil, Bishop of Metz.
Ray

The Banner carrier - is Sir John Beauchamp, 11th Earl of Warwick. I have a Stadden version of him - in fully round - that I painted last year - so will look forward to painting him in this smaller scale (30mm) next year. The mullet ( five pointed black star) denotes he is an Earl. He was at Crecy, and survived). The other figure is a Bishop - and carries a mace - as they were forbidden by the Church to shed blood with a cutting blade. Bashing brains out with a club - was, apparently, okay!!! Bless him!

A look at the complete set of figures in Wolfgang's Katalog - show how big the set is, at approaching 100 figures. The gallery shows lots of colour pics of the painted French knights, in particular.

I have just over that number to paint - as I doubled up on some English Archers, when I ordered them. The only tricky part of obtaining them, was that W is NOT Paypal friendly - and like many Europeans, doesn't like paying their fees. BUT - we worked something out in the end!! Thank goodness for online translation!! - which went something like:

[Me to him] Hello Wolfgang - Liking your figures I am - how to buying them I am asking.

[Him to Me] Hello - pleasing I was to have your question - for sending me some money in Euros please by my bank

And so on{sm2} BUT as I said - despite all of this - we got there in the end.{sm3} jb{sm4}

Great info JB! I am going to make the changes on the picture title so I can keep track of the characters.
So in order to keep this good vibe going on this common rail we're riding here, I have these Long Bowman, while they don't show up in Wolfgang's catalog they were done by the same artist. As I understand it the English Archers were irregulars at best and the garb did not change much over the many years of service to the crown, mainly farmers call by there King when needed.
I'm sure you can tell me more. :salute::
Ray

Thought you may not have recognised the heraldry for Thomas, Ray. Having already painted him - I recognised him straight away.

Yes - I too like the Archers - in my view, the real winners of the battle, who, of course, would have greatly outnumbered the Knights at Crecy ( and also Poitiers and Agincourt later on). It slightly irks me sometimes, when they are often described as English bowmen, when many of them were in fact Welsh. However, it's still a common error to describe all of us in the UK as English.

King Edward knew the value of the longbow as a weapon - and made it obligatory for the weapon to be practiced - even banning other sports, in its favour. So.......when required, he had thousands of well practiced, strong-armed men to call upon as archers for his army. And yes, there was no real "uniform" for archers. They wore what they had - and often collected bits and pieces of armour to wear to protect themselves after a battle which was won. I've read that the basinet was favoured by many for head protection - over the kettle helmet (shown on a couple of yours), as the brim of the latter could sometimes interfere with drawing the bow-string. But, they used whatever they could get - though the rimless basinet was favoured.

The longbow was a really formidable weapon for its time - especially when used en-mass. Often six feet in length and made from yew wood, it was devastating for use against mounted men and their horses. A superb account of the weapon and its users at the battle - can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Crécy

So, rather than repeat bits - maybe if you have ten minutes - give it a read, it's very informative ( and even mentions Sir Thomas Beauchamp).

Thanks again for showing all of these Ray, they are just great :salute:: - jb:D

Last edited:
Just remembered that I had a pic of Thomas in Photobucket...................so here's my Stadden casting - repainted in Glossy TS style. He's getting ready for a Tourney here.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back