My Flat Collection (2 Viewers)

Just remembered that I had a pic of Thomas in Photobucket...................so here's my Stadden casting - repainted in Glossy TS style. He's getting ready for a Tourney here.:D

Very Nice JB, now I see the resemblence :p

Thought you may not have recognised the heraldry for Thomas, Ray. Having already painted him - I recognised him straight away.

Yes - I too like the Archers - in my view, the real winners of the battle, who, of course, would have greatly outnumbered the Knights at Crecy ( and also Poitiers and Agincourt later on). It slightly irks me sometimes, when they are often described as English bowmen, when many of them were in fact Welsh. However, it's still a common error to describe all of us in the UK as English.

King Edward knew the value of the longbow as a weapon - and made it obligatory for the weapon to be practiced - even banning other sports, in its favour. So.......when required, he had thousands of well practiced, strong-armed men to call upon as archers for his army. And yes, there was no real "uniform" for archers. They wore what they had - and often collected bits and pieces of armour to wear to protect themselves after a battle which was won. I've read that the basinet was favoured by many for head protection - over the kettle helmet (shown on a couple of yours), as the brim of the latter could sometimes interfere with drawing the bow-string. But, they used whatever they could get - though the rimless basinet was favoured.

The longbow was a really formidable weapon for its time - especially when used en-mass. Often six feet in length and made from yew wood, it was devastating for use against mounted men and their horses. A superb account of the weapon and its users at the battle - can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Crécy

So, rather than repeat bits - maybe if you have ten minutes - give it a read, it's very informative ( and even mentions Sir Thomas Beauchamp).

Thanks again for showing all of these Ray, they are just great :salute:: - jb:D

Thanks JB, you know I lean heavily on your Knowledge of Heraldry and English (and Welsh) history and royalty. I have ordered a couple of books about the battle to better educate myself.

PS your dialogue with Wolfgang was hilarious and very familiar to me!^&grin

For my final Crecy figures I set them against each other but realised after you pointed the way to the catalog with reference to the individual identities they were both on the English side
Thomas Lord Ughtred ( could he be related to the Uhtred Of Bernard Cornwell and the last Kingdom fame?) and one which I don't think translated well, Hywely y Fwyall? help?
Ray

Okay - Hywel y Fwyall - we would translate his Welsh name into English as Howell of the Battleaxe. He's in your pic practicing with his opponent - whom I know a little about.

Here's a link that I have come across before, about Hywel - which also explains something about him at Crecy, where he apparently was impressive enough to be made a Knight Bannerette after the battle was over. He commanded some Welsh Archers there. Explanation of KB - ( .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_banneret ).

A Welsh speaker - he would be able to communicate better in his native tongue with his Archers. Here's another link:

http://yba.llgc.org.uk/en/s-HYWE-APG-1381.html.

Thomas Lord Ughtred ( yes - very Bernard that!!^&grin). He was a Knight of the Garter - and after Crecy - where he too commanded an English party of Archers , became an Admiral of the Fleet - so obviously had a change of career - from the Army to Navy!

So......both Commanders of Archers at Crecy. Interesting weapon carried by Tommy here - looks like a form of halberd - and a familiar battle-axe for Hywel, which goes well with his name.

Very nice again Ray, good choices. It's a wonderful set - which I'm going to enjoy very much. jb

Thanks again for the informative links JB.
So that was the last of this batch of Crecy figures and I move on toother figures I recieved from the same artist, have trouble resisting flag figures and this group is all flag bearers from the American west and civil war
Ray

Made some more additions, dispite a rediculous workload.A Union Command Group which I have intigrated with the previous mounted Cavalry and my Buford's 1st Cavalry at Gettysburg.
Ray

With all the great winter scenes on the forum lately I dug out my winter scenery just can't find my box of "Retreat" Napoleonics
Ray

Also picked up a fine group of Austrian 4th regiment Crown Prince Currassiers 1812- 1815

Another fine set Prussian Army Lutzow Frei-Korps 1813 suited out in nasty black
Ray

Ray,

After I get out of this back brace, I would like to visit your flat museum!

John your neighbor

Ray,

After I get out of this back brace, I would like to visit your flat museum!

John your neighbor

Thank you John, you make it all sound so grand but it's pretty low budget, still trying to figure out how to dispay glass cover boxes and the pics are all done on a single folding table in the garage.
Ray

With all the great winter scenes on the forum lately I dug out my winter scenery just can't find my box of "Retreat" Napoleonics
Ray
[/URL]

Looking forward to seeing the remanets of Le Grande Armee joining your scenery soon,

John

Here is a flat or semi-flat in my collection that was given to me by a fellow collector for Christmas.

semi.jpg

He is an officer of the 4th Cuirassiers and produced my French maker, Metal Modleles and is a 54mm semi flat.

Jim bought this in Vienna last year, while he was visiting there.

For display I have mounted him in a box frame, and looks good on a shelf in my collection room.

display.jpg

Hope you like him, John

Thats a beautiful figure with a great presentation and a generous gift.
you guilted me into locating what retreat figures I have, not my best, but they will have to do for now.
Ray

WOW, they look great setup in the cold snowy forest in Western Russia in 1812,

thanks also for your kind words about my figure too :)

John

I am continueing the process of taking sets out of card board boxes and getting them under glass, was suprised that I hadn't put this set in a case before, These are Hungarian Cavalry/Knights from the Battle of Mohacs 1526. The battle was the end of the Hungarian empire as a single entity, they were defeated by Suleiman the Magnificient of the Ottoman Empire. Great detail on these figures and painted to match.
Ray

Picked up a couple more signed, and hand coloered Eugène Lelièpvre prints, theme, American revolutionary war

Users who are viewing this thread

Back