My Flat Collection (1 Viewer)

Ray,

you mention a Museum in Leipzig....... what is it, and where exactly as I'm planning on going through that city next spring and would love to see any toy soldiers,

John

Hi John,
Lucky you! Leipzig has many museums including the Bach museum, but here's a link to my favorite! If you go to gallery/ Dioramas there"s where I really get my crank turned!!
I must demand that you take lots of pics, I will expect a full report Sir!!
Ray

http://www.zinnfigurenfreunde-leipzig.de/index.htm

Hi John,
Lucky you! Leipzig has many museums including the Bach museum, but here's a link to my favorite! If you go to gallery/ Dioramas there"s where I really get my crank turned!!
Ray

Hi Ray,

Thank you so much for giving us all that link.

I was in Leipzig, for the first time, last year. and really loved it, great, friendly city. We paid two visits to St Thomas's Church. On both occasions somebody was playing the organ. I could shut my eyes and pretend it was Herr Bach; just wonderful!!

Visited the battlefield etc, but had no idea there was this gem of a museum there.

Well, the only thing for it is to go back!!

2017 is a Kulmbach year. So I could go to Leipzig, Kulmbach, then Vienna and Katselsdorf (the beautiful figure museum just outside Wiener Neustadt, the Museum of the Austrian collectors. Starting to sound like a Plan.

John, Kulmbach is on 11.12.13 August, which is not "Spring". I suggest that you delay a few months, and take it in. You will never regret it, I promise. Leipzig/Kulmbach is only 2 hours by train. A little longer by bus/train (but much cheaper!) The only catch is that you will have to book your accommodation very soon. Its a sell-out. Book for at least 3 days, you will need all that time to take it in!

Kulmbach is free entry (come and go as much as you like) On the hill behind the town is the Castle which houses the "German National Collection" of Zinnfiguren. Also a "must-see"

John, if you need any more info PM me.

Ray, Thanks again!!

Happy Collecting,

Bob

Hi John,
Ray

Hi Ray,

thanks for the info and the link, and YES, I will post details of that and any other toy soldier interest I find in my travels next year in Europe, including the London Show in June :)

John

Hi Ray,

Thank you so much for giving us all that link.

I was in Leipzig, for the first time, last year. and really loved it, great, friendly city. We paid two visits to St Thomas's Church. On both occasions somebody was playing the organ. I could shut my eyes and pretend it was Herr Bach; just wonderful!!

Visited the battlefield etc, but had no idea there was this gem of a museum there.

Well, the only thing for it is to go back!!

2017 is a Kulmbach year. So I could go to Leipzig, Kulmbach, then Vienna and Katselsdorf (the beautiful figure museum just outside Wiener Neustadt, the Museum of the Austrian collectors. Starting to sound like a Plan.

John, Kulmbach is on 11.12.13 August, which is not "Spring". I suggest that you delay a few months, and take it in. You will never regret it, I promise. Leipzig/Kulmbach is only 2 hours by train. A little longer by bus/train (but much cheaper!) The only catch is that you will have to book your accommodation very soon. Its a sell-out. Book for at least 3 days, you will need all that time to take it in!

Kulmbach is free entry (come and go as much as you like) On the hill behind the town is the Castle which houses the "German National Collection" of Zinnfiguren. Also a "must-see"

John, if you need any more info PM me.

Ray, Thanks again!!

Happy Collecting,

Bob

Hello Bob,
I'm always happy when I help to inform about the wonderful world of the flat!
I envy your freedom and truly Kulmbach is on my must go bucket list.

some pics from past Kulmbach gatherings

Recently picked up a couple of groups of Brunswick infantry by different sellers, both very nicely done but with differing styles. By now you guys know my routine of mounting them in display boxes but I'm torn on these as to weather to combine them in a single display case or not? what do you think?
Ray

Hi Ray,

In my less than expert opinion, I think the style differences are fairly dramatic and I would display them in separate boxes. Both sets are certainly worthy of being displayed, but if you display them together, the differences in style would appear more evident than if they were displayed separately. Just remember,...my opinion is worth exactly what you have paid for it. Good luck with your decision!

Warmest personal regards,

Pat :)

Hi Ray,

In my less than expert opinion, I think the style differences are fairly dramatic and I would display them in separate boxes. Both sets are certainly worthy of being displayed, but if you display them together, the differences in style would appear more evident than if they were displayed separately. Just remember,...my opinion is worth exactly what you have paid for it. Good luck with your decision!

Warmest personal regards,

Pat :)

Hi Pat,
Thas the way I was leaning and I think thats probably the way to go.
Thanks,
Ray

Recently picked up a couple of groups of Brunswick infantry by different sellers, both very nicely done but with differing styles. By now you guys know my routine of mounting them in display boxes but I'm torn on these as to weather to combine them in a single display case or not? what do you think?
Ray

Why not try a dry run Ray - i.e., bung 'em on a background piece of card (without slitting) and take a quick pic. Try them together ( say one lot at the top - and the others under - and then separately. Then bung both pics on here - and ask which the viewers prefer????

Personally - I never mind mixing pieces up - but that's just me.

Both sets look just great to me. jb

Ray

Why not try a dry run Ray - i.e., bung 'em on a background piece of card (without slitting) and take a quick pic. Try them together ( say one lot at the top - and the others under - and then separately. Then bung both pics on here - and ask which the viewers prefer????

Personally - I never mind mixing pieces up - but that's just me.

Both sets look just great to me. jb

I think thats a good idea John, I'll throw something together with acouple of different backgrounds and post them.
Ray

So here we are, have staged a couple of different confligurations both mixed and seperated believe the blue background works well, kinda brings out the blue piping and collar trim?
I think if I split them I'll need the smaller 1/2 tray size for display
Ray

Yes - I too prefer the blue background Ray. Hadn't really noticed before - but when you put them together - it really shows up the different colour of the bases, which become immediately more noticeable - and therefore shows they are NOT one set.

I guess if it was up to me, I would prefer to see them mounted on smaller and separate display cards - though as they are yours - it's up to uou of course, to choose!

That was a very worthwhile experiment Ray - and surprised me. jb

Yes - I too prefer the blue background Ray. Hadn't really noticed before - but when you put them together - it really shows up the different colour of the bases, which become immediately more noticeable - and therefore shows they are NOT one set.

I guess if it was up to me, I would prefer to see them mounted on smaller and separate display cards - though as they are yours - it's up to uou of course, to choose!

That was a very worthwhile experiment Ray - and surprised me. jb

Thank you JB, I've ordered a bulk of display cases and some of the half trays are coming, I'll show them when done.

On a completely different subject but one I know is near and dear to your heart, there is another thread over on the BFFS site about a group of molds and a set of heraldric knights that has been lost some time around WWII for the most part. Some of the moulds are starting to be found, a beautiful set called "The Order of the Golden Fleece", I'll bet your familiar, so they posted a link to what I believe is the French National library with the original book, just a beautiful link that you must see, though I would be suprised if your not already familiar. I know on some of your threads you talked about the "Codex", I don't think it's the same but have a look.
Ray

http://expositions.bnf.fr/livres/armorial/index.htm

Thank you JB, I've ordered a bulk of display cases and some of the half trays are coming, I'll show them when done.

On a completely different subject but one I know is near and dear to your heart, there is another thread over on the BFFS site about a group of molds and a set of heraldric knights that has been lost some time around WWII for the most part. Some of the moulds are starting to be found, a beautiful set called "The Order of the Golden Fleece", I'll bet your familiar, so they posted a link to what I believe is the French National library with the original book, just a beautiful link that you must see, though I would be suprised if your not already familiar. I know on some of your threads you talked about the "Codex", I don't think it's the same but have a look.
Ray

http://expositions.bnf.fr/livres/armorial/index.htm

Cheers Ray - and thanks for the link. Must go over to BFFS and have a peek at the info on that. Lovely looking book - and another rare survivor, similar to the Codex Manessa, and stuffed full of wonderfully coloured medieval pictures of knights - some of whom I recognize from their Coats of Arms.

I've seen some odd pics before separately - but never the whole book - which is just delightful. I'll have to get some more castings!

Thanks Ray - jb

Cheers Ray - and thanks for the link. Must go over to BFFS and have a peek at the info on that. Lovely looking book - and another rare survivor, similar to the Codex Manessa, and stuffed full of wonderfully coloured medieval pictures of knights - some of whom I recognize from their Coats of Arms.

I've seen some odd pics before separately - but never the whole book - which is just delightful. I'll have to get some more castings!

Thanks Ray - jb

It's the least I can do to keep your beautiful knights coming! here's some pics of a few of the knights in the set done by one of the best flat artists in the world. all 30mm.
Ray

It's the least I can do to keep your beautiful knights coming! here's some pics of a few of the knights in the set done by one of the best flat artists in the world. all 30mm.
Ray

Very nice indeed Ray - I'll have to find out where to buy whatever sets are available - as those look to be right up my street.

I'm actually painting some Flats again, right now. I think my eyes are back to being okay, for now. I must be getting accustomed to the medication I'm on. Practicing on "the bigger boys" first helped too, I think.

Here's a pic of the beginnings of the set (so far), which will feature an attack on a Pioneer Family by some renegades. Gloss again, of course. jb

Very nice indeed Ray - I'll have to find out where to buy whatever sets are available - as those look to be right up my street.

I'm actually painting some Flats again, right now. I think my eyes are back to being okay, for now. I must be getting accustomed to the medication I'm on. Practicing on "the bigger boys" first helped too, I think.

Here's a pic of the beginnings of the set (so far), which will feature an attack on a Pioneer Family by some renegades. Gloss again, of course. jb

Looks like a great start JB, looking forward to see how this group progressed in your "Toy Soldier" style glossy, like there bigger brothers that you are the master of!
Ray

All of this is great...the terrain, fences, water and buildings, especially the Mill...is that a 'Rat' by the Mill Stone in above picture ?

A lot of work went into this.

Thank you.

To reply with pictures, the Dio progresses more trees water, figures and yes that is a rat!
Ray

Your welcome, a few more....

Beautiful !

I had not noticed the water running in the streets and mud before.

The stream crossing is still my favourite...the whole thing is so well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back