My Flat Collection (2 Viewers)

Beautiful !

I had not noticed the water running in the streets and mud before.

The stream crossing is still my favourite...the whole thing is so well done.

Actually I believe the water in the streets was recently added as the dio progresses, the last of the current pics.
I'll post more as the work progresses
Ray

Beautiful !

I had not noticed the water running in the streets and mud before.

The stream crossing is still my favourite...the whole thing is so well done.

I have to agree with Ivanhoe's last statement here Ray - that stream crossing is just amazingly portrayed. If you didn't know they were flats - you couldn't really tell. The 3D effect is just incredibly done. Well done indeed, to those guys who produced the effect. jb

Looks like a great start JB, looking forward to see how this group progressed in your "Toy Soldier" style glossy, like there bigger brothers that you are the master of!
Ray

Here's a little update on progress for you Ray. The two marauding native Americans at top have been completed - whereas some of the Pioneer Family are less so, at the moment. I will be completing all of them in a gloss finish - as I like 'em that way. There's quite a few more to go yet - so I'll have to start a thread on these later. :Djb

Here's a little update on progress for you Ray. The two marauding native Americans at top have been completed - whereas some of the Pioneer Family are less so, at the moment. I will be completing all of them in a gloss finish - as I like 'em that way. There's quite a few more to go yet - so I'll have to start a thread on these later. :Djb

Looks like it's going to be an exciting group JB, they look great! Now here's one of the one times I'm going to complain, because of the high gloss, the glare I think you loose some of the detail, though I don't know if theres much you can do photographically?
Ray

I have to agree with Ivanhoe's last statement here Ray - that stream crossing is just amazingly portrayed. If you didn't know they were flats - you couldn't really tell. The 3D effect is just incredibly done. Well done indeed, to those guys who produced the effect. jb

That is the TRUE magic of the flat, the use of shadow, highlight and the perspective of light on the subject to give the illusion of 3 dimensional. There are few true masters of the art and seeing it at it's best is what made me drop my other collections and focus on these tiny works of art!
Eric who you've been talking too over at BFFS is one of those masters. :salute::
When you look at these pictures you have to realize there is no shadow or highlight of any significance from the photographic and lighting process, all shadows and highlights are painted onto the figure.
Ray

Looks like it's going to be an exciting group JB, they look great! Now here's one of the one times I'm going to complain, because of the high gloss, the glare I think you loose some of the detail, though I don't know if theres much you can do photographically?
Ray

Yes Ray, that's one of the problems with taking photographs of shiny things - you do get reflections. All I can say is - they do look good in real life, and even though Glossy Flats have sort-of dropped out of fashion - I just like them that way. As to my photography skills - Hmmmm........... I think I started far too late!

I think they will look okay (to me) when the whole group gets completed - as it's a really action packed group of figures - and I intend to make them really colourful.

Unrealistic? - yes - but that's the fun of Glossies - at least, for me. Glad you like 'em too. jb

That is the TRUE magic of the flat, the use of shadow, highlight and the perspective of light on the subject to give the illusion of 3 dimensional. There are few true masters of the art and seeing it at it's best is what made me drop my other collections and focus on these tiny works of art!
Eric who you've been talking too over at BFFS is one of those masters. :salute::
When you look at these pictures you have to realize there is no shadow or highlight of any significance from the photographic and lighting process, all shadows and highlights are painted onto the figure.
Ray

Some lovely sets there Ray.

Thanks for the heads-up about those five Knights of the Order of the Golden Fleece. Eric IS an ultra-nice Guy - and I'll be delighted to eventually get hold of at least some part of that old set. jb

Some lovely sets there Ray.

Thanks for the heads-up about those five Knights of the Order of the Golden Fleece. Eric IS an ultra-nice Guy - and I'll be delighted to eventually get hold of at least some part of that old set. jb

I have dealt with Eric in the past and have some of his pieces in my collection, his work is some of the best out there and he is a dogged pursuer of the history of the flat and the maintaining of the hobbies heratige as you also know.
One group of the Brunswick Death Heads goes under the glass!
Ray

I have dealt with Eric in the past and have some of his pieces in my collection, his work is some of the best out there and he is a dogged pursuer of the history of the flat and the maintaining of the hobbies heratige as you also know.
One group of the Brunswick Death Heads goes under the glass

The background colour compliments them well Ray - looks great. jb

Picked up a couple more sets, quickly, Wurtemberg Jaegers skirmishing in a wheat field.
Ray

Picked up another nice set, French Chevau Legers of the 8Th Regiment 1813
A couple of different lighting treatments, they all look a little reddish to me..
Ray

Picked up another nice set, French Chevau Legers of the 8Th Regiment 1813
A couple of different lighting treatments, they all look a little reddish to me..
Ray

Nice set - I like the third pic down best Ray. jb

Nice set - I like the third pic down best Ray. jb
Thanks JB, think thats about the clearest, less red tint to it, just think theres a lot of red/ red shades in this set.

How about this set Foreigners in the French service, 3rd Regiment

Thanks JB, think thats about the clearest, less red tint to it, just think theres a lot of red/ red shades in this set.

How about this set Foreigners in the French service, 3rd Regiment

Good bunch again Ray - I prefer the top pic for these. What is it that you are doing differently?

I think, on reflection (sic.), that my pics require better lighting - as my glossies reflect more direct light. I'm going to experiment with more indirect lighting ( by bouncing light off something white?) and see if that helps cut down the glare a bit.

jb

Good bunch again Ray - I prefer the top pic for these. What is it that you are doing differently?

I think, on reflection (sic.), that my pics require better lighting - as my glossies reflect more direct light. I'm going to experiment with more indirect lighting ( by bouncing light off something white?) and see if that helps cut down the glare a bit.

jb

Hello JB,
Yes, glare when taking pics is a major problem for me with smaller objects you have to get a bit closer and the flash can over power the pic. It is one of the main motivating factors with my process of over spraying my sets with a flat coat to eleviate the reflection off the figure.
The pic you prefered was incandescent light with a camera flash, the camera also auto adjusts for the "yellow" effect of incandescent light. the second is flash off with an energy saving flourescent bulb, still feeling around for a cheap combo and frankly I just haven't done my homework with my work schedule.
Ray

French 4th Dragoons 1813 -1815

Inspired by King and Country's 7th Hussars display I've been working on a Berg. Am working on a base and still thinking about what I want for walls.
Ray

Those Wurtemberg Jaegers skirmishing go under the glass and into the collection.
Ray

Here's a beautiful set I've had sitting in a box for years, 1st Refiment of the Chevau Legers (line Lancers) I've really got to get with it and put my collection in some nice display cases. It's a pity to find these sitting in a dark lonely place...:(
Ray

Once again my photographic skills suck until the weather finally breaks here in Texas and I can start using the garage again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back