New Releases for February 2019 - The Second World War (1 Viewer)

It seems like many Stug III/ Panzer III photos of actual AFVs have tight upper tracks but there is variation. First photo note Stug in background has slightly slack track; 2nd photo track taught; 3rd photo track slack.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

STUG-61-S.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
On the previous post, I find it interesting that the photo taken well after the war in a tank collection and the circa 1943 photo both have a similar amount of slack and the exact slack pattern on the treads - an indication of slack progression.

STUG-61-S.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I have no issue with the tracks or the camo pattern at all and think the model is outstanding, especially for the price.

Well done JJD.:salute::

If I can ask a question. I was not a tanker so my knowledge is limited on this but, wouldn't tracks sag after a initial bit of use and with wear and tear ?
If you ever replaced a chain on a dirt/street bike after a day or so of riding you must tighten up the chain again as it stretches a bit.
I would assume that a tank track would do the same, then you add the grueling nature of campaign in which time for maintenance is limited/ spare parts not handy.
I would think this would be a common issue, specifically in the eastern front when the area taken was so large in such a short time?
I would assume we would have lots of variance of sag thru out the images we have.?

And I am probably wrong but I thought I had read somewhere years ago that there is two types of tracks. One live and one dead???maybe
I don't have a dog in this hunt but I am curious.
Chuck

If I can ask a question. I was not a tanker so my knowledge is limited on this but, wouldn't tracks sag after a initial bit of use and with wear and tear ?
If you ever replaced a chain on a dirt/street bike after a day or so of riding you must tighten up the chain again as it stretches a bit.
I would assume that a tank track would do the same, then you add the grueling nature of campaign in which time for maintenance is limited/ spare parts not handy.
I would think this would be a common issue, specifically in the eastern front when the area taken was so large in such a short time?
I would assume we would have lots of variance of sag thru out the images we have.?

And I am probably wrong but I thought I had read somewhere years ago that there is two types of tracks. One live and one dead???maybe
Chuck

Good questions Chuck and I have no doubt you'll receive some interesting replies.

It may seem like an odd concept, but you can also over tighten tracks, causing breakages and other issues. New tracks always stretch during their running in phase and get adjusted accordingly by their crews. A good driver in tune with their vehicle will feel this through his or her steering equipment and know when they need to 'tigthen' things up.

Modern tracked vehicles these days often have self tension systems which make the job easy compared with back then.

Throwing tracks can be just as much about how the vehicle is being driven on different surfaces as opposed to having slackness or poorly maintained tracks.

I used to work with tracked vehicles when I was much younger and you get to know a lot by getting your hands dirty.

Cheers.

Thanks for response. I get over tightening like a chain on bike can stress it. I can also see how too loose would come off of tracks when transitioning from one surface to a another or turning.
I think my whole question really is , if we have 100 images of stugs since this is the AFV in question right now
Wouldn't we see huge variations in track tightness do to, length of service in combat zone, the crews discipline in PM, age of track do to wear and tear and metal stretching and various other reasons?
Is there really any right answer to the track tightness, within a degree of being able to function, on a AFV given all of these variables?

Again I am not concerned as my positions has always been these are just expensive painted marx playsets.
And I have yet to not buy a piece because it was incorrect. I like or I don't and buy it based on that.

Last edited:
Wouldn't we see huge variations in track tightness do to, length of service in combat zone, the crews discipline in PM, age of track do to wear and tear and metal stretching and various other reasons?
Is there really any right answer to the track tightness, within a degree of being able to function, on a AFV given all of these?

Nuts and bolts of track tensioning:

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a219397.pdf

-Moe

Chuck

When it understand it right is a dead track (in German Bolzen- / Scharnierkette, find no English expression) is more "freefloating", every chain link is connected with a bolt in the hole, you can change the bolt (free rotable) easy without mechanical help. Fast driving is not possible with that track
A live track has a intial tension, bend slightly inward (Endverbinderkette), is is more compilicate, expensive, has more part.

When it understand it right is a dead track (in German Bolzen- / Scharnierkette, find no English expression) is more "freefloating", every chain link is connected with a bolt in the hole, you can change the bolt (free rotable) easy without mechanical help. Fast driving is not possible with that track
A live track has a intial tension, bend slightly inward (Endverbinderkette), is is more compilicate, expensive, has more part.

Thank you I thought I had heard the terms before. However it doesn't sound as though that would change how tight a track would sit on the driving wheels.

Thanks for response. I get over tightening like a chain on bike can stress it. I can also see how too loose would come off of tracks when transitioning from one surface to a another or turning.
I think my whole question really is , if we have 100 images of stugs since this is the AFV in question right now
Is there really any right answer to the track tightness, within a degree of being able to function, on a AFV given all of these variables?

Again I am not concerned as my positions has always been these are just expensive painted marx playsets.
And I have yet to not buy a piece because it was incorrect. I like or I don't and buy it based on that.

You're correct mate, there's no real right or wrong answer regarding track tension, especially considering all the variables that they operate under.

What it boils down too really is personal preferences and the same could be said for paint-work as well.

I personally don't get hung up on these things like some members, but understand why some folks do.

Its a hobby and meant to be fun.

Track sag increases slowly over time. Most tracked vehicles have a tension adjustment. Too much sag in the tracks means that in soft ground or making sharp extreme movements the vehicle could throw a track.The tension should limit the track's vertical movement to prevent it from coming off the idler or drive wheel. Too much tension can stress to the driveshafts on the drive sprockets, cause oil leaks in the transmission and extreme wear on bearings and break the track. The track should have enough play so that it can flex when moving over rough terrain without forcing the shocks and tension adjuster into the fully compressed positions.

Terry

I just preordered the new Stug, which looks fantastic in my opinion... I have several of the 1/32 scale Unimax Forces of Valor Stug IIIs and the JJD one seems to blownthose away in terms of the details. Does anyone know if it will have an interior like the Jagdpanther? Also, any word if there will be crew figures for it?

My guess is that most collectors will display the model with side skirts fitted, making the 'slack track' issue rather academic.

For those interested in the 'academic' issues it should be noted:

1) As with most German WW2 ARVs/Tanks (and Sherman) the Drive sprocket on the Stug is at the Front of the vehicle. Consequently the tracks will be tighter when moving forward compared to when the vehicle is stationery. When the vehicle is stationery the tracks won't be pulled forward at the top and there will be more sag due to gravity, you can see this in the photos Phantom Terry has provided. There is a greater distance between the First and Second return roller on this vehicle, therefore the track slackness/sag will be more more obvious there. However any slackness should be more a shallow U shape rather than a sharper V shape. If the latter I would say there's some serious 'adjustment' required.

2) Track length can vary over time due to wear to the various components and heat etc. There were several methods used to adjust the tension, some done automatically, some requiring manual tensioning. Adding or removing links being the less desirable due to time and effort required.

3) Most modern Tanks have the Drive Sprocket at the Rear as it was found to be less problematic than Front drive.

4) Tanks are designed to travel faster than most other tracked vehicles such as Bulldozers, Excavators etc.

5) I wasn't aware of any previous Track Sag discussion on the First Legion Section.

Stug model is the best one I have seen from the structural details, camo paint, moving parts and accessories/ GD details to it's historical accuracy. Supposed to show up in February. Can't wait

Terry

Just notified that the first Stug is shipped and should be here ( in my hand) by Thursday

Terry

Received BH-28 "Flight Deck Medical Team" in this afternoon's mail. A very nice looking set and a welcomed addition to my USS Bunker Hill display . . .
:smile2: Mike

Received BH-28 "Flight Deck Medical Team" in this afternoon's mail. A very nice looking set and a welcomed addition to my USS Bunker Hill display . . .
:smile2: Mike

Mine should be on their way soon.

I got to thinking … which some people would say, in some cases that is NOT a good thing … but what would be unique for the Bunker Hill series would be a "SHOT-UP" plane and a wounded pilot.

We have the medics, so where are the flyers that need fixing??? :rolleyes2:

--- LaRRy

Very happy with this Stug, hope JJD issues others with a different camo scheme...
Two color with brown or three color... or even a plain dark yellow...

A superb model! I am very satisfied with mine.
the attachment method and fit for the Schurzen armor is brilliant! easily installed and can be neat or misaligned after a fast paced road march, even missing one or two. very easy to configure many ways.
A beautiful show piece. highly recommended!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back