OFFICIAL Firefly Photos (2 Viewers)

The decal problems and suspect historical accuracy are two issues that have caused me to cross this model off my shopping list.

I am still getting their new Halftrack and 88 mm and I hope that Figarti bring out more of the classics like a Tiger, Panther, Jadgpanther etc that have proven sales records in the hobby industry.

It's all very well for some of us to be selfish and demand obscure models we may personally like, but surely that's a mistake for manufacturers in the current depressed economy when reliable sales prospects are more prudent.

I received this today and yes the decals seem to be a little annoying but when placed on the shelf next to my K & C British Sherman, it shouldn't be a big deal. In addition, I have a friend (who I've written about here before) who makes his own soldiers and is a very good modeler and I'm going to see if there's something he can do.

The figures, although much improved, are not there yet. I realize that Rome wasn't built in a day but when First Legion can get remarkable figures in so short a space of time, I'm wondering why Figarti cannot.

I received this today and yes the decals seem to be a little annoying but when placed on the shelf next to my K & C British Sherman, it shouldn't be a big deal. In addition, I have a friend (who I've written about here before) who makes his own soldiers and is a very good modeler and I'm going to see if there's something he can do.

The figures, although much improved, are not there yet. I realize that Rome wasn't built in a day but when First Legion can get remarkable figures in so short a space of time, I'm wondering why Figarti cannot.

Hope you like the Sherman all the same Brad,and that your friend can help with decals.Its a wonderful Tank and how good does it look alongside other Allied armour?.A famous Tank from a famous battle.I thought Figarti's figures are really coming on these days and are ahead of HB by some distance.I feel their new D Day releases go well with K&C's.Figarti are producing some great stuff right now,can't wait to see what they have in Chicago,hoping for another Brit or German Tank.

Rob

An IPMS judge might show leniency for decals, but misaligned bogie suspensions would definitely scratch out of the first round

Attachments

• FirePortSmall.jpg
    FirePortSmall.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 123
  • FireStarPort.jpg
    FireStarPort.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 122
An IPMS judge might show leniency for decals, but misaligned bogie suspensions would definitely scratch out of the first round

You mean the slanted centre bogie wheel assembly in the first photo? It is off. And the side decals in the second photo do not look good as on my model? I noticed that one of the antifreeze decals on my model is a bit slanted but not as much as in your second photo. It almost looks as if one person applied the decals on one side, then a different person applied the decals on the other side.

Terry

It might just be me but does that hull look too short to be a VC? The M4A4 had a hull which is 11" longer than the M4 to accomodate the Chrysler multi bank engine. The position of the track bogies in relation to each other look more like an IC to me. Also, the rear bogie looks too far forward in relation to the turret to be a VC.

I was just mentioning, in another thread. That Figarti, should be accountable
in making each piece they make be near perfect. They are making products in limited runs, and even with those limited runs. they are still making slightly major flaws. Missaligned Boggie wheels? doent anyone check. when it goes of the product line into the box?? What is next ??excess flash from the mold of the product when the parts are molded together?? Cmon Figarti, this are simple problems. Check your products, before you send it out to the collectors.

And I just want to add this. sometimes your worst critic is Your biggest fan!! I wanna buy More Figarti!!

Just got my Fireflies today. Here's my POV:

Over all, the quality is similar to the first release Honor Bound Shermans, but There are 2 major flaws:

1. THE DECALS...there's to much sheen (#12, star, AOS & formation sign are OK). I plan to re-badge my tanks to the 13/18 Hussars using the Archer transfer dry transfer so I will let this pass. I am also making my own decals using clear water transfer paper and print the images from my computer.
For those who want to keep it as is...try coating the decals with dullcote to solve the "sheen" problem.

2. The Vertical Volute Spring Suspension (VVSS) on one side of the tank is misalign. The other set I have looks perfect

The Good:

1. The 50 cal Machine gun
2. The figures (it would have been nice if the driver can be removed (it can be removed...se those screws on the turret base?)
3. The chevron tracks
4. Detailness
5. Weathering and true-to-life texture of the tank

Accuracy of the white tiangle with #3...
Based on y readings on British tank naming conventions, tactical, formation and AOS (arm of service) are:

Call Signs and Tactical Signs
Regimental HQ uses numbers 1-20 - Diamond
A Squadron uses numbers 21-40 -Triangle
B Squadron uses nymbers 41-60 - Square
C Squadron uses numbers 61-80 - Circle
(Tactical sign colors: red for senior, yellow for least senior and blue for junior regiments. White is used for un-brigaded regiments or independent brigades)

So, technically, this tank has a regimental HQ number. That would make the white triangle & #3 inaccurate on the rear turret bin. The tactical sign should be a diamond. The white is okay since it does not belong to a brigade. Since the tank is RHQ. it does not belong to a squadron (company) or troop (platoon)and therefore #3 is out of place.

Over-all I give the tank a B+

Just my POV

N-P

You mean the slanted centre bogie wheel assembly in the first photo? It is off. And the side decals in the second photo do not look good as on my model? I noticed that one of the antifreeze decals on my model is a bit slanted but not as much as in your second photo. It almost looks as if one person applied the decals on one side, then a different person applied the decals on the other side.

Terry

Based on my readings and WWII photos, these markings were hastily placed at the factory and on the field. I've seen them in various places, shapes and angles. The formation, tactical, and call sign positions varied by regiments. The British marking convention is too confusing as compared to the dicipline used by the U.S. Army.

I feel your pain bro. Mine are mis-align on one side only, the bogies' distance to the sprockets are also okay.

Jamie Oliver......and......breakfast. :)
Hungry?

cheeky...............and no I am not hungry............

I have read this with interest and wonder how far this hobby has come since the early polystone 'crud filled tracks' to quote Louis.

If we are now comparing to model maker competition class, my hat goes off to Rick, Andy and the other manufacturers.

Well done guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, nothing will dampen my enthusiasm for something to go big cat hunting with - if the US had invested in something similar in their Shermans, I am sure they would feel the same about this iconic tank - only pressed through by junior officers in the first place.

Compare the only earlier Brit tank, another fav of mine, the KCUK Sherman, with this baby - and my Figarti Stuart in 7th Armoured colours. I have the UK Sherman in pride of place, but the Firefly shows how far things have moved over the past few years.View attachment 33817

Attachments

• 571red.jpg
    571red.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 228red.jpg
    228red.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 602red.jpg
    602red.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 600red.jpg
    600red.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 232red.jpg
    232red.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 111
Just got my Fireflies today. Here's my POV:

Accuracy of the white tiangle with #3...
Based on y readings on British tank naming conventions, tactical, formation and AOS (arm of service) are:

Call Signs and Tactical Signs
Regimental HQ uses numbers 1-20 - Diamond
A Squadron uses numbers 21-40 -Triangle
B Squadron uses nymbers 41-60 - Square
C Squadron uses numbers 61-80 - Circle
(Tactical sign colors: red for senior, yellow for least senior and blue for junior regiments. White is used for un-brigaded regiments or independent brigades)

So, technically, this tank has a regimental HQ number. That would make the white triangle & #3 inaccurate on the rear turret bin. The tactical sign should be a diamond. The white is okay since it does not belong to a brigade. Since the tank is RHQ. it does not belong to a squadron (company) or troop (platoon)and therefore #3 is out of place.

Over-all I give the tank a B+

Just my POV

N-P

Well described numbering summary. :cool: But as you say later, the Brits often changed or broke their own numbering rules. I have to admit that reviewing numbering and unit markings on British AFV models is a minefield I prefer to stay out of. I have enough problem with camo colours :)

I suspect that is why many of the models come with generic or no unit markings. However, in this case we are talking about a specific tank and there may be an historical record of the markings somewhere. It is possible that the markings may be historically correct while being inconsistent with British convention??? It would be interesting to know, but I don't know enough about British numbering convention to say.

Terry

I have read this with interest and wonder how far this hobby has come since the early polystone 'crud filled tracks' to quote Louis.

Hey, I liked that crud! AND the $50 pricetag!

I will say this is the finest painted Olive Drab vehicle I have. Very well done on the paint job. Come to think of it, this is probably the nicest painted vehicle I have in my collection.

Thost crooked bogie suspensions give it a kind of sporty look! :)

It might just be me but does that hull look too short to be a VC? The M4A4 had a hull which is 11" longer than the M4 to accomodate the Chrysler multi bank engine. The position of the track bogies in relation to each other look more like an IC to me. Also, the rear bogie looks too far forward in relation to the turret to be a VC.

Can't tell. At 1/30 scale, the difference is only just over 1/4 inch. Besides, the Firefly conversion was also carried out on Sherman I (M4) and Sherman I Hybrid (M4 Composite) tanks which had a shorter Continental R975 radial gasoline engine. Only the Sherman V (M4A4) tank with it's longer Chrysler A57 5xL6 engine system had a longer hull, a longer suspension system, and more track blocks.

As Ekin's tank was a specific tank, there may be a record of what version it was. It could have been one of the Continental engine conversions as it was early in the Normandy campaign??

Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back