Stalingrad 1942-43 (3 Viewers)

I'm trying out a new "grass", Noch 7408.

Let me know what you think.

Frank

Amazing photos. Possibly the best on the forum. The artillery group is the best. It honestly looks so real.

Frank,
Excellent work as always. The artillery scene looks truly life like.
Best,
Josh

Frank, awesome work as always. You are truly the man when it comes to FL dio & photo work :salute::

Excellent work as usual. The new grass seems to work out pretty nice.

Hi Frank, fantastic sets/arrangement.....in special the prime mover un limbering the artillery piece......who provides the grass and do the soldier's bases settle well on top of the shrubs?? Very curious to know and also acquire some of the same dio base....
Cheers
AC

Amazing Frank . . . . thanks for the "eye candy" once again . . . . . the new grass looks great . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Hi Frank,
I'd say the new grass works :wink2:, thanks for sharing your Hobbies with us :salute::. Your works are truly one of the highlights of this or any forum. regards Gebhard

Thanks for the positive feedback guys

The product is Noch 7408. More of a model railroad product meant for a much smaller scale but I'm finding it useful for photography.

http://www.noch.de/en/produktkatalog/artikel_detail_neu.php?shop_artikelid=5986002&navi_Kategorie1=&navi_Kategorie2=&navi_Kategorie3=&navi_Kategorie4=

As you will see it comes in small segments, which has both pluses and minuses. From a photography perspective I find the flexibility of the small segments useful. If you were use in a more permanent diorama type scenario they would need to be cut cleanly and glued tightly together to deal with the joins.

I didn't receive all the segments I ordered (limited stock) so I can't do the larger scenes I envisaged yet. More pieces would facilitate better foreground as well.

As for how figures sit on it, the grass is fairly stiff but the figure will sit fine with a little moving around. In the artillery scene all the elements (vehicles and figures) are sitting on top of the grass. The whole scene if photographed from a very low angle which helps obscure the figure bases. In the tank scenes, the Pz.III and T-34 have the grass segments arranged around the tank to better depict the vehicle settled into the grass rather than floating on top. Because the segments are photographed obliquely from a low angle the joins aren't a huge problem and spaces between segments can be used to hide figure bases as well. A little Photoshop to clean things up and the image comes together.

A finished image

Original image

Setup

Frank

Thanks Frank for the info about the grass

And another thanks for sharing the "behind the scenes" setup.

I wish i were closer to you so that you could use all my toys for taking pictures.

Serge^&grin

You are a master of photography....Well done.... always look forward to your diorama work:salute::

Too kind in sharing your secrets, just shows how you can deceive the eye with clever use of camera angles. Very cool, Robin.

I am always disappointed... when the update to Frank's thread is just one of us complimenting him, and not another brilliant creation!

This scene is dedicated to "The Lt.". Thanks for the inspiration Joe.

Frank

Last edited:
Breathtaking scene Frank and very nice Tribute to Joe. {bravo}}

Tom

Thanks for posting these pics, helped me with my decision we discussed...Sammy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back