The American Civil War Diaries (2 Viewers)

Harry

Your Flashman Boys Own Adventure is in a special class all of it's own as indeed is it's author.:D:D
Me- I couldn't possibly compete;)
Reb

:D:D Reb, the author ought to be in a special room, all on his own - maybe....;);)

Flashy should be back in production around 1st June. Poor cad has been incarcerated inside my camera for the past month now....:D:D
Really looking forward to the release of K&C UK's TRL figures so's I can incorporate them into FLASHMAN AND THE DRAGON. You know, make it a bit more accurate....like....

Cheers
H

While some of Grant's brigades struggled through dense undergrowth a mere 10 miles away and traversing north the Texas Brigade were moving swiftly along little known paths and making good time at the double quick. They were guided by the Confederate master map maker Jedediah Hotchkiss exactly as he had done for Jackson in the Shenandoah Valley campaign and at Chancellorsville.These men were veterans from Hood's old brigade and even after Gettysburg when their depleted ranks were filled out by the 3rd Arkansas they still remained famous as "The Fighting Texans"

DSC00021.jpg

They travelled light and even before their orders to march were received they had sensed approaching action by disposing of those various little possessions of no particular value either bartered or wistfully hidden against a possible return. If small enough the objects were stuffed in pockets whilst their loved ones locks of hair or daguerreotypes were pressed into the backs of hunting-case watches. Nothing encumbered their swiftness when on the march and these Texas boys and the Stonewall Brigade were known throughout the Confederate army as foot cavalry.

DSC00043.jpg

Following Gettysburg they were resolved that the war was now reduced to just following Marse Robert wherever he took them. They were also fully aware that in Washington it was election year and if "Old Abe Lincoln" had his butt kicked out of the White House those Yankees just might finally give up trying to beat them and then they could all go home.
That is why they continued to fight!

DSC00014.jpg

I hope one day to be able to tell a history as good as you do Reb. I loved you trees and the forest, even if you have a very close look you won't be able to make any difference between yours and a real one.... I tried to reproduced in my last DIO and I can tell folks it is very complex and long procedure..:eek:...It needs patience and hard work.

Excellent job REB....

Cheers:

Not only are you a great dioramaist but a very good writer. My continuing compliments.

Thanks for the latest installment, Reb. The scale of these vignettes is most impressive. As predicted, this thread has inspired me to purchase my first ACW set in almost 18 months, so thanks and keep it coming.

MD

Thanks for the latest installment, Reb. The scale of these vignettes is most impressive. As predicted, this thread has inspired me to purchase my first ACW set in almost 18 months, so thanks and keep it coming.

MD

Hi Mr. Dave,

I am curious. What ACW set did you recently purchase? Also, do you intend to continue to add ACW figures/sets to your collection?

Warmest personal regards,

Pat :)

Hi Bob,
In common with Rod, I also love the foilage and the trees that you've built to represent "The Wilderness", but something else I've spotted is the way your figures fit right into the text. It's not like watching TV as I and some others have suggested - it's even better. Keep it up mate cos you have some avid fans of these Civil War Diaries here on this forum.

Cheers
H

Oooo, slipped a new episode in that I didn't notice at first. Another beautiful and eloquent chapter. I do so enjoy the pictures and text. I really appreciate how you advance the story with the different camera angles and depths of field. "Texas foot cavalry", the lessons continue.;):cool:

Hi Mr. Dave,

I am curious. What ACW set did you recently purchase? Also, do you intend to continue to add ACW figures/sets to your collection?

Hi Pat. I purchased the new 3 figure Iron Brigade set from Britains, and yes I will definitely add more figures over time. Being in Wisconsin, I have a particular fondness for the Iron Brigade so I will ultimately pick up all of the new Britains sets. Also hope to acquire the Troiani set some day as well.

As an aside there is a wonderful store front Veterans Museum in Madison right on Capital Square that has a really nice collection of ACW artifacts and an excellent life sized diorama of the Iron Bde attacking through the corn field at Antietam.

MD

Hi Pat. I purchased the new 3 figure Iron Brigade set from Britains, and yes I will definitely add more figures over time. Being in Wisconsin, I have a particular fondness for the Iron Brigade so I will ultimately pick up all of the new Britains sets. Also hope to acquire the Troiani set some day as well.

As an aside there is a wonderful store front Veterans Museum in Madison right on Capital Square that has a really nice collection of ACW artifacts and an excellent life sized diorama of the Iron Bde attacking through the corn field at Antietam.

MD

Hi MD,

Thanks for the information. It is fun to see another collector develop some interest in the ACW. Please keep us informed as you add more ACW figures to your collection.

Also, thanks for the information regarding the Veterans Museum in Madison. When and if I am ever able to visit Madison, I will place the museum on my list of places to visit. I would love to see the diorama of the Iron Brigade attacking through the cornfield.

Here is a photo of that Antietam Diorama in Madison. This is the largest photo I could fit in as an attachment here.

MD

Attachments

• 2335802064_0b361dbd7c_o (Small).jpg
    2335802064_0b361dbd7c_o (Small).jpg
    73 KB · Views: 263
Hi MD,

Thanks, that is a great picture of the diorama! The diorama seems to capture the determination of the Iron Brigade as they fought in the cornfield at Antietum. One day, I must certainly visit the museum in Madison.

REB, Great dioramas!!! I always love seeing your great set ups, I really like the forest background. I,ve still got my whole collection all packed up from the move and haven,t gotten around to doing anything with it yet and haven,t had much free time these days.
I feel like a stranger on the forum its been so long since I,ve had time to sit and sort through posts. I,m sure I,ve missed a lot in the time I,ve been gone. The couple of times I,ve been on since I,ve moved I only had time to take a quick glance at whats been going on over here, so a quick hello to all of you guys!!! I hope to get settled in and back to the hobby soon but with the new house to pay for I may have to go back converting plastics.:(
The painted metals are going to have to be a pick and choose thing now.:(

Keep up the great work REB!!! :cool:

REB, Great dioramas!!! I always love seeing your great set ups, I really like the forest background. I,ve still got my whole collection all packed up from the move and haven,t gotten around to doing anything with it yet and haven,t had much free time these days.
I feel like a stranger on the forum its been so long since I,ve had time to sit and sort through posts. I,m sure I,ve missed a lot in the time I,ve been gone. The couple of times I,ve been on since I,ve moved I only had time to take a quick glance at whats been going on over here, so a quick hello to all of you guys!!! I hope to get settled in and back to the hobby soon but with the new house to pay for I may have to go back converting plastics.:(

Hi Tim,

Welcome back to Treefrog! It has been a long time since you have posted and I am glad to see that you are back, even if it is only for short periods of time.

I, too, recently moved, so I have some idea of what you are up against with packing your collection, moving it, and then unpacking it. Take your time to make certain that you do not damage any figures in your haste to get them moved and unpacked.

And, oh! Congratulations on your new house! I hope it brings you much pleasure and happiness!

Hi Tim,

Welcome back to Treefrog! It has been a long time since you have posted and I am glad to see that you are back, even if it is only for short periods of time.

I, too, recently moved, so I have some idea of what you are up against with packing your collection, moving it, and then unpacking it. Take your time to make certain that you do not damage any figures in your haste to get them moved and unpacked.

And, oh! Congratulations on your new house! I hope it brings you much pleasure and happiness!

Thanks Pat!!! I had no idea moving and settling back in was going to be such a pain but its nice to have my own place. I,ve still got a lot of work to do on the yard, its a new house and theres no lawn or drive way yet and I have a rock wall to rebuild also not to mention still getting everything unpacked but having just moved also i,m sure you know just what I,m talking about.

Thanks Pat!!! I had no idea moving and settling back in was going to be such a pain but its nice to have my own place. I,ve still got a lot of work to do on the yard, its a new house and theres no lawn or drive way yet and I have a rock wall to rebuild also not to mention still getting everything unpacked but having just moved also i,m sure you know just what I,m talking about.

Hi Tim,

Ha! :D Oh, yes, I know only too well just what you are talking about. I am just now beginning to really enjoy our new home since we moved in November. Fortunately, I had a toy soldier display room built in the basement of our new home and I especially enjoy it. If you are ever out my way, be sure and stop to see it.

Good luck with the driveway, lawn, rock wall, and the other zillion things you will need to do. If you get the time, show us some pictures of your new abode. I know many of us would love to see it.

Pat ;)

Hi Tim

It's good to hear you're still around as I was beginning to think you had resigned all your Nap collection to your own kind of Les Invalides:) Thanks for yours and the other guys comments- always appreciated whether complimentary or otherwise afterall that's how we all learn-that includes the "silent lurkers" as well.

I've been experimenting with the forest back-grounds for a couple of months now and am still not 100% happy with the results, it was one of the reasons I drifted for a short while into the FIW era in the other dio "Nous sommes tout sauvages" which gave me a lot of scope to depict a number of woodland dios where the placement of the figures gave some real depth to the background whilst not losing the foreground focus.
You cannot get that with just a photo-backdrop which are perfectly fine for shelf displays and front action mini-dios but to depict The Battle of the Wilderness when the Yanks could hardly see the Rebs "for the trees" is a pretty tough order as I am finding to my utter chagrin. But if we dont keep pushing the parameters of trying to achieve a reasonably authentic three dimensional looking dio you just stay in the comfort rut and keep churning out the same type scenarios, different day. And I always loved a challenge! My real joy though is the apparent inspiration the dios are giving quite a few of the forum members especially with the number of PM's and e-mails I'm receiving weekly and I am always willing to lend some "how to" advice and a heap of encouragement to have a go.

I'm also looking forward Tim to see your splendid Grande Armee laid out again sometime soon in one of your superb dios that will inspire the Nap collectors here as indeed your outstanding dio of Napoleon's eve of battle meeting dio inspired me.
Reb

Tim is nice to see you posting and hop that the move went well. Hopefully there were no casualties.

Bob I can begin to understand the diverging dios now. Backdrops and shelf dios are one thing. I have the ability to pull that stuff off. Back to feeling normal again but working harder than ever. Your set up is quite a bit larger is it not? I have been contemplating using my train set up for some dio work. Just not sure how to tie it all together. another thing is your lighting. I am thinking that one of those umbrella thingies are the way to go. Tripods are another thing I need. And I bloody well need to read the book so I can find the bleedin F stop setting on my Bloody camera. In acquisition mode with the Dark Side. (Hey, I am a vampire) I have a plan that I have to stick to.

0600hrs 6th May 1864
Since crossing the Rapidan Grant acted neither with boldness of rushing his combat troops through the Wilderness nor with the rudimentary caution of keeping his army compactly grouped.Instead the commander in chief moved his regiments on a time-table as if Lee's army was merely another item in the schedule, inherently harmless and with no initiative of it's own.

DSC00195.jpg

The infantry was dispersed in four seperate movements in a model of logistics that virtually ignored the existence of an enemy army. His skirmish line and Sheridan's cavalry had reported only very brief enemy activity to his front. Therefore the Confederate army appeared not to bother Grant-If they turn up he will fight them- If they don't he felt sure he would meet them in Richmond, until then they would push on southwards.

DSC00173.jpg

Hancocks II Corps were now advancing on a mile wide front either side of the Orange Plank Road whilst two miles away his colleagues General Gouverneur Warren V Corps and John Sedgewick's VI Corps were advancing either side of the Orange Turnpike

DSC00244.jpg

Stuart's cavalry scouts had reported all of this to Lee who found every reason in the enemy's carelessness for his Army of Northern Virginia to exploit the advantages of the Wilderness. Having taken the measure of his younger opponent, he was now flushed with the urge to close with him as were his men.

Lee ordered Hill's 3rd Corps either side of the Orange Plank Road and Ewell's 2nd Corps to cover the Union advance along the Turnpike. Stuart's cavalry were left to deal with the Union skirmishers who were now behind the Confederate lines

DSC00316-1.jpg

Throwing up hastily built wood & bracken earthworks the Confederate 2nd & 3rd Corps prepared to meet the advancing Federals

DSC00294.jpg

A P Hills men were from Alabama, Georgia and North Carolina and were all veterans of Gettysburg, for the past year they had tried not to dwell on how close to victory they had been in Pennsylvania

DSC00299.jpg

Their officers had told them that the advancing Union troops were Hancock's men. The very same regiments that had poured murderous fire into them and their many dead colleagues at Little Round Top and Cemetery Ridge. Some smiled while some looked on with grim expressions into the wild undergrowth, others checked their muskets for the fifth time as they all quietly waited to greet their old adversaries

DSC00289.jpg

Whilst waiting for the Union army Lee accompanied by General's Hill and Stuart rode well behind Hill's troops to one of the very few clearings within the Wilderness perimeter-the Widow Tapp's farm. In the shade of a tree adjoining the farm they dismounted and he quietly discussed with them a major concern he had with their troop deployment.
There was a dangerous gap between Hill and Ewell's Corps and he did not have enough troops to plug it. Longstreet 1st Corps was still on the march from Gordonsville and would not arrive until later in the day- Lee must now gamble that Grant does not probe this gap and flank both his Corps.

"Longstreet must hurry".

DSC00349.jpg

As he pondered his gamble Lee's eyes caught a movement just 200 yards north of the clearing. Union troops had moved out from the tree line and the three Confederate generals were completely on their own. General Robert E Lee Commander of the Army of Northern Virginia was a hairs breadth of being captured by the enemy!

To be continued

DSC00342.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back