The American Civil War Diaries (2 Viewers)

Ahhhhhhh…......that’s better, I was beginning to get withdrawal symptoms :D

Jeff

He's baaaaack..excellent as per usual UKReb. I see the new WBCC figure has also made an appearance. Looks great !!!

Seeing boxes with red "X"s what is up?

Gentle Friends,

Once again, my experience parallels that of the Kilted Vampire. I only receive boxes with red Xs. I am able to view other newly posted pictures, consequently, I am perplexed by this development. Is anyone else having this trouble?

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

Another great chapter mate; masterfull use of scenery and figures.

Is this a true story; truth certainly can be more strange than fiction then? Of course, while the capture obviously would have crippled the Confederacy I am not as sure it would have ended the war.

Perfectly true story, a little known incident apart from us nerdy civil war buffs but it happened nevertheless. Reports from Hill and Stuart plus a diary entry from Col Taylor-Lee's aide de camp confirm the happening. Interestingly though no written evidence from the Union side-a few reasons for that so take your pick-the Federal officer and his troop obviousy had no idea who they could have captured; they were all killed in the ensuing campaign; he/they kept quiet with embarrassment when they eventually did find out who the three generals were standing under that tree.

Have to disagree with your second comment as would a few ACW historians-perhaps I quoted with artistic licence that the war would have ended on that particular day but it would have been the beginning of the end of the Confederacy a full year before Appomattox.
Reasons are a plenty:
Lee's following actions/decisions during the Wilderness battle saved his army from defeat.
Only Ewell would have been left as an overall commander on the Reb left flank. He was still the ditherer he was at Gettysburg and Lee had learned his lesson ensuring that Ewell always received explicit orders. He never could have taken over the whole command.
Longstreet was hours away from the field at this particular time and by the time he got there Hills Corps would almost certainly have been routed without Lee's masterful strategic decisions.
The morale of the Reb army would have been catastrophic with Marse Lee captured by the blue-bellies plus JEB Stuart and Hill. They would have deserted in their hundreds and just walked home- by 1864 it was only Lee keeping them together.
Also the civilian morale in Richmond would have been incalculable Davis more than likely would have selected himself to become Army of Northern Virginia commander as all he had would have been Joe Johnston who he hated with a vengeance and considered himself a better soldier than the Tennessee commander.(He wasn't by the way)
Public mass hysteria and panic, a disappearing Confederate army and 100,00 Union soldiers of the Army of the Potomac outside the gates of Richmond, I kinda think would have forced Davis within days to agree some kind of terms with Grant/Lincoln.

But I except all the above is pure conjecture and just a view based on a few known facts.

Reb.

Perfectly true story, a little known incident apart from us nerdy civil war buffs but it happened nevertheless. Reports from Hill and Stuart plus a diary entry from Col Taylor-Lee's aide de camp confirm the happening. ...

Have to disagree with your second comment as would a few ACW historians-perhaps I quoted with artistic licence that the war would have ended on that particular day but it would have been the beginning of the end of the Confederacy a full year before Appomattox.

...But I except all the above is pure conjecture and just a view based on a few known facts.

Reb.
'
Thank heavens for you nerdy civil war buffs mate; fascinating stuff overall and this one's a corker.:cool:

Your facts and logic are compelling but we all know the serendipity of battles and wars. Even from what little I know, Ewell could have floundered and I guess the rest would have depended a lot on Longstreet and the field level commanders. Always interesting to speculate of course. As always, look forward to more.

OK pics came out. Wow! Those were great! Close ups were excellent. OK how many of you guys actually know what the LeMat looks like? Well it is HuUGEeee! The 9th chamber was actually a barrel that the cylindr revolved around!

Blimey guys! I've just noticed this thread has had over 12000 hits:eek: and there was me thinking this was a dud era for this forum. So for all you viewers here's the next chapter in the saga of The Wilderness-Lee's last campaign.

General Hancock had managed admirably to soundly organise 25,000 Union troops on a one mile front plus Wadsworth's division covering his right flank and they smashed into the hastily prepared Confederate front like a train wreck

DSC00832.jpg

The Confederates were in the worst possible circumstances to receive such a massed attack. As the waves of blue hit them they reacted largely as individuals and the veterans amongst them perceived immediately that the sheer number of Yankees would quickly overwhelm them.

DSC00828.jpg

Although no orders controlled them they fought valiantly until killed or completely engulfed. There was no running, they fired, fell back and using the cover of the trees and brush, re-loaded and fired again. But for every Billy Yank that fell ten more took his place.

DSC00818.jpg

Lee observing the battle quickly realised with Longstreet's 1st Corps still not up, his offensive plan must be reverted to defensive before Hill's whole front gave way. Sending a despatch rider to hurry Longstreet along, Lee sent a fateful order to General Hill
"Withdraw your divisions back a thousand yards to the Tapp farm clearing"

DSC00876-1.jpg

Grant and Meade watched the gradual retreat of the Confederate lines. He read Meade a communique from Hancock "We are driving them back most beautifully"
Grant added "I must admit General I did expect a stiffer resistance from Lee"
Meade looking straight ahead uttered
"General Grant sir! I have fought General Lee on and off for almost three years. During that time I have learned one thing-Never underestimate him"

It was to be a very prophetic statement

DSC00914.jpg

WOW Reb another great chapter. That first pic truly is amazing !!! So many figures and placed so well. You truly are the Civil War Diorama God !! Great stuff, keep it up...........we are watching :)

Excellent Reb, I still impressed with the huge variety of your ACW soldiers.

Rod.

Reb,
It's no wonder your posts in this section get so many hits.
Everyone who posts here has value, but in my opinion, there are maybe half a dozen forum members who regulary provide inspiration for the rest of us - and you my rebellious friend are most definitely in that group.

Cheers
H

Bob, I have got to agree with Harry, excellent as usual :) This is one of the reasons I am glad to be a member of this forum, just think what most people are missing!

Jeff

Superb job!!! I enjoy just staring into each picture/dio and taking it all in. Keep up the great work!!

You sure create some amazing dioramas. I spent the last hour going from the very begining up to this point. Very impressive. Question though...whose the figure often standing with Lee? He has his hands in his pockets. I want to say Stuart because of the hat but this guy's beard looks grey and I dont recall whether or not Stuart aged enough to have a grey beard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back