The American Civil War Diaries (1 Viewer)

Hi Reb,

Once again, all I can say is, "Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!" What a remarkable diorama with a terrific accompanying narrative. Thank you for posting your work for all of us to see.

Warmest personal regards,

Pat :)

Question though...whose the figure often standing with Lee? He has his hands in his pockets. I want to say Stuart because of the hat but this guy's beard looks grey and I dont recall whether or not Stuart aged enough to have a grey beard.

Hi VFC

The figure is "Old Jube" Jubal A Early who was one of Jackson's Division commanders and following Stonewall's death became Dick Ewell's second in command of the Army of Northern Virginia II Corps.

He was a cantankerous old devil, irreverent, abrasive, temperamental and sarcastic but he fought like hell and was respected for his military ability but he was not a Southern general in the mold of Lee and Stuart etc therefore he was not well liked by his colleagues in the Confederacy but rather tolerated. Lee however considered him a strategic master on the battlefield.

Early never accepted defeat and following Appomattox headed west to join up with Kirby Smith to continue the fight against the Union. When he heard of Smith's surrender he shipped off to Mexico to live in exile.

The figure is a superb casting made by Ron Wall and I painted him using old photographs-look him up on line and I think you will see a likeness to the old rough diamond that the Confederate press called the Southern eagle-the last defender of the Confederate cause

Reb

Jubal Early, knew the name and story but not the face. Now I have something to go by.

Thanks,

Harris

He was a cantankerous old devil, irreverent, abrasive, temperamental and sarcastic
Reb

Hmmmm.....
331.gif
331.gif
.....You know Reb, I could swear I've heard that before.....:confused::(:confused:
:D:D:D:eek:

Cheers
Nice H

Stunning shots as usual Reb. Thanks for this latest installment, and happy belated birthday. So, did you get any good birthday gifts then?

MD

Reb, your dioramas are Incredible!!! I get blown away by each new one you throw together. Your dioramas are always the highlight of checking in on the forum and always inspire me to try and throw together something new myself.

Your attension to detail in your dioramas is amazing and I always get new ideas to steal from your dioramas. Keep up the great work!!!!

Mind blowing and masterful dioramas. I hope you don't mind I modified this one.:)

2656779333_e1feaf0321_o.jpg

I LOVE IT !! :D

Tell us what you have in those formations of Blue and Grey - I see Britains, Conte, K&C - What Else ??

Hi

Scott/Rod/Harry/Jeff/Dick/Louis/Mark/Harris/Pat/Kevin/MD/Tim/Alex/Ron

Many thanks for all your appreciative comments I truly am somewhat humbled by your posts especially as I am fully aware that for some of you the ACW is not your particular bag. But your kind comments are indicative of your absolute passion for the hobby of collecting TS's whatever your era.

I have no doubt- personally- that dioraming (is that a word?) most of my troops is my way of as Joe (The Lt) would say of "playing" with them using the excuse that I am attempting to depict the historic battles of yesteryear after fully researching the characters involved, the terrain at the time, troop movements and eventual outcomes. I think you all know how much fun that is.

Thanks again guys and your posts/PM's and e-mails make assembling-dis-assembling and then re-assembling the soldiers as the battle progresses all the more satisfying and worthwhile.

You really are a great bunch of guys and a pleasure to know and to talk to;)

Reb

Mind blowing and masterful dioramas. I hope you don't mind I modified this one.:)

2656779333_e1feaf0321_o.jpg

Alex

Thankyou! Superb effects and I dont mind one little bit. I actually down loaded the "effects" link you posted for another member back awhile but have not had the time to do too much with it.
However, it just might solve a problem I have been struggling with that I was going to depict in the current dio. I don't know how familiar you are with the Wilderness campaign but has the battle progresses gunpowder flashes set the undergrowth ablaze which quickly turns into a horrific fire that engulfs the wounded who cannot move out the way of the flames. Rebs and Yanks had to shoot their own guys because they couldn't get to them to pull them out.

I've been experimenting with creating fire effects-no problem with plumes of smoke always get good results just by using grey Industrial nylon wool and an old Hornby railway smoke machine-but fire (apart from painting the wool) is the devil of a job to get realism. I tried an old trick I picked up when I war-gamed these battles eons ago- Christmas tree strobe lights- running the wires through the nylon wool and bunching (red and orange) colored lights together. Works absolutely brilliantly in the flesh until you go to photograph it and flash or non-flash just nullifies the strobes and you end up with a flat no-nothing picture.

Joe Baker (Conte's web page dio artist) asked me if he could take some of my Gettysburg pics and enhance them with smoke and fire-haven't seen the results yet but I'm guessing they will come out somewhat like your splendid effects above and I would think using a similar IT package.

Anyway thanks again Alex and fully intend to find the time to dissect and familarise myself with your link.

Reb

Alex

Thankyou! Superb effects and I dont mind one little bit. I actually down loaded the "effects" link you posted for another member back awhile but have not had the time to do too much with it.
However, it just might solve a problem I have been struggling with that I was going to depict in the current dio. I don't know how familiar you are with the Wilderness campaign but has the battle progresses gunpowder flashes set the undergrowth ablaze which quickly turns into a horrific fire that engulfs the wounded who cannot move out the way of the flames. Rebs and Yanks had to shoot their own guys because they couldn't get to them to pull them out.

I've been experimenting with creating fire effects-no problem with plumes of smoke always get good results just by using grey Industrial nylon wool and an old Hornby railway smoke machine-but fire (apart from painting the wool) is the devil of a job to get realism. I tried an old trick I picked up when I war-gamed these battles eons ago- Christmas tree strobe lights- running the wires through the nylon wool and bunching (red and orange) colored lights together. Works absolutely brilliantly in the flesh until you go to photograph it and flash or non-flash just nullifies the strobes and you end up with a flat no-nothing picture.

Joe Baker (Conte's web page dio artist) asked me if he could take some of my Gettysburg pics and enhance them with smoke and fire-haven't seen the results yet but I'm guessing they will come out somewhat like your splendid effects above and I would think using a similar IT package.

Anyway thanks again Alex and fully intend to find the time to dissect and familarise myself with your link.

Reb

Very nice effects Alex....gives more realistic atmosphere in the dio..

Cheers

Alex

Reb

So he's not Joe 'Don' Baker with the cool figures from the James Bond Movie 'The Living Daylights'. Well, somebody had to ask ;)

So he's not Joe 'Don' Baker with the cool figures from the James Bond Movie 'The Living Daylights'. Well, somebody had to ask ;)

:D:D:D Got an idea the're not the same guy.

Agree those were great looking toy soldiers and if you listen to the dialogue between Dalton and Baker, the scriptwriter-whoever he was- really knew his civil war onions

Bond "Pickett's charge was up Cemetery Ridge not Little Round Top"

JD Baker " I'm re-enacting the battle as I would have fought it. Meade was tenacious, but he was too cautious. He missed his chance to crush Lee at Gettysburg"

I also reckon he was a bit of a war-gamer as well.

Reb

:D:D:D Got an idea the're not the same guy.

Agree those were great looking toy soldiers and if you listen to the dialogue between Dalton and Baker, the scriptwriter-whoever he was- really knew his civil war onions

Bond "Pickett's charge was up Cemetery Ridge not Little Round Top"

JD Baker " I'm re-enacting the battle as I would have fought it. Meade was tenacious, but he was too cautious. He missed his chance to crush Lee at Gettysburg"

I also reckon he was a bit of a war-gamer as well.

Reb

Bob,

www.littleleadsoldiers.com

Have a look at this companys website and on the left hand side click "The Company" gives a brief description of their involvement in this film.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back