The American Civil War Diaries (3 Viewers)

Reb:

I just dug out "1400 Days The Civil War Day by Day", not to check up on you, instead to follow along on the terrific path you are leading us down.

When I see you have added to the story, it brings a smile to my face!

I hope you are having as much fun posting, as we are having reading!:)

John
Many thanks for the compliments and I am genuinely pleased you and my other "faithful followers" are still enjoying the thread.
Assume your comment of "adding to the story" is referring to the human facts/stories rather than just the battle. I appreciate that as well but don't forget I was actually there:D:D:D

Reb

Your diodrama is nicely composed, Reb. Do you ever run the pics as a slide show on your PC? You could even make an audio-visual file and add narration. (Can you do a Shelby Foote impression? :D )

Prost!
Brad

John
Many thanks for the compliments and I am genuinely pleased you and my other "faithful followers" are still enjoying the thread.
Assume your comment of "adding to the story" is referring to the human facts/stories rather than just the battle. I appreciate that as well but don't forget I was actually there:D:D:D

Reb

Oh no!........you seem to have contracted NapoleRONitis!!! :D :D

Jeff

....Assume your comment of "adding to the story" is referring to the human facts/stories rather than just the battle. I appreciate that as well but don't forget I was actually there:D:D:D
Now you tell us, no wonder we cannot match your historical insights.;):D:D

John

Reb

Your thread is the first thing I look for every time I log onto the Forum!

I would love to see a photo or two of you setting up your wonderful scenes!:D

Just Top Notch!

I too think you should put these photos into a slide show and add a music soundtrack. I think that would be brilliant!!

M.G. Martin Smith, his horse foaming and covered in sweat from the hard ride, reined in front of Generals Lee and Longstreet.

"Sirs, I have been scouting the Union position and have found a way around their left flank. It's an old disused rail cut and we can use it to flank them".

Longstreet perusing the map passed to him by Smith quickly said
"General Lee, with your permission I shall take immediate advantage of this opportunity"
Lee nodded,
Longstreet addressed Smith
"General Smith you will take Anderson and Mahone's Brigades and lead them into position and begin the attack. I will follow shortly with Jenkins and Kershaw's Brigades".

DSC02328.jpg

"General Lee I shall take my leave and ready my command. When I strike we will put Sam Grant back across the Rapidan before dark"
Lee spoke quietly to his Corps Commander
"God has granted us a divine opportunity to destroy those people, But I caution you General, please do not expose yourself needlessly. This army and our cause cannot afford to lose you, sir".

DSC02289-1.jpg

Longstreet could smell victory as he galloped after the two front brigades with a small entourage including one of the General's favorites, Brigadier Micah Jenkins whose South Carolina brigade were following at the rear.
Longstreet was in fine spirits as he rode toward the sound of the gun-fire ahead of him that signalled that Mahone's Virginians had begun their attack on the Union flank.

DSC02354.jpg

In the hazy gunsmoke and dark confusing thicket some of Mahone's men heard the sound of approaching horses. A young and very nervous lieutenant shouted to his men
"Union cavalry"
Without waiting for orders they fired a volley toward the sound of crashing brush.

DSC02361.jpg

Longstreet heard the lead bullets thud into the trees around him before he heard the shots. Brigadier Jenkins and Captain Dobie both took mortal wounds to the head. Seeing a Confederate battle flag fluttering ahead of him Longstreet took off his hat and waved it above his head and shouted

"We are friends boys. Stop Firi..................!"

DSC02391.jpg

But he was unable to finish his yell as another volley crackled through the undergrowth. A bullet had struck Longstreet in the throat and had exited his right shoulder. He fell heavily from his horse, bloody foam ejecting as a spray from his mouth.

DSC02404.jpg

His aide Lt Col Sorrel seeing his stricken commander fall to the ground in a mass of blood rode toward him shouting at the Virginian Infantrymen.

"Stop firing you da#n fools. You have killed General Longstreet"

DSC02447.jpg

The Battle of the Wilderness will conclude with the next chapter

I particularly like the part where the guys are being shot from their horses. Very well done!!!

John

Reb

Reb:

I never doubted it for one second! No one could possibly tell the story as you do unless it was first hand!

Your thread is the first thing I look for (after the lynch mob) I usually have to
watch out for!:D

Its always a pleasure to sit back and enjoy the next chapter, just make sure
you keep your head down when the firing starts!:eek:

Attachments

• get him.jpg
    get him.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 211
Another excellent chapter with beautiful art and engaging text. You know I am one of your biggest fans and you never fail to deliver (so far;). Just so you know I am paying attention, I would note that M.G. Martin Smith's beautiful bay horse does not seem to be covered with foam or sweat; you would of course expect me to notice.;):D
Now you have really left us hanging so hopefully you are at work on the follow up by this time.;):D:D

Bob, super stuff!

On behalf of my fellow forum members who follow your threads with great interest I will buy you a beer at the London show on the 6th just as a token of our appreciation at the lengths you must go to entertain us.

:):):)

Regards

Jeff

Bob, super stuff!

On behalf of my fellow forum members who follow your threads with great interest I will buy you a beer at the London show on the 6th just as a token of our appreciation at the lengths you must go to entertain us.

:):):)

Regards

Jeff

Thanks Jeff

I look forward to it and as an aside it took over a hundred shots to get the final seven I eventually posted. Just couldn't get the scenes to look right and what with Bill and John now checking the accuracy of the story :D the slightest inaccuracy just wouldn't do ;)

Bob

Once again absolutely stunning work Reb,your dio's really are above museum quality in my view.The historical thread you place your scenes in is enthralling and quite addictive,who needs Ken Burns?!:)

Rob

As far as I'm concerned you should promoted to full General for your dioramas.No, your British make that FIELD MARSHAL.
Mark

Maybe Reb was Sir Arthur Freemantle in another life. That is how he knows the stories so well. I think I just figured it out!! Although, I don't think he was here in 1864...or were you, I mean was he?:rolleyes:

Maybe Reb was Sir Arthur Freemantle in another life. That is how he knows the stories so well. I think I just figured it out!! Although, I don't think he was here in 1864...or were you, I mean was he?:rolleyes:

Lt Col Fremantle following his observation at Gettysburg, as a guest of the Confederate Army, returned to the Coldstream Guards Barracks in England. At the time of the Battle of the Wilderness he had published his diary as a book which predicted an almost certain Southern victory???

Although he wasn't present at the Wilderness I most certainly was there:D:D

Reb

Another excellent segment -- thanks allot. I really enjoy them and look forward to each chapter.

Dick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back