The American Civil War Diaries (2 Viewers)

Great shots and great narrative Reb.
Looking through those photos, you've got some top foilage put together there. Particularly liking the ferns. I appreciate that's the equivilant to meeting Kate Moss and noticing that she's wearing nice earrings :eek::rolleyes:, but it really adds to the mix.

Simon

Oh no!........you seem to have contracted NapoleRONitis!!! :D :D

Jeff

Jeff

LOL - LOL

I was there - on the fields of Waterloo - I still smell the smoke, gunpowder and the frustration that my gun had no ammo to kill that idiot NEY as he destroyed my Calvary !

I WAS THERE ....

I WAS THERE !!!!!!

LOL :D :p :D :p

Reb

Outstanding stuff - LOVE YOUR COLLECTION and YOUR HISTORY LESSONS !

Really inspiring to read and get the feel of this incredible battle. :) :cool:

Ron

Great shots and great narrative Reb.
Looking through those photos, you've got some top foilage put together there. Particularly liking the ferns. I appreciate that's the equivilant to meeting Kate Moss and noticing that she's wearing nice earrings :eek::rolleyes:, but it really adds to the mix.

Simon

Thanks Simon the ferns are from John Gittings tend to pick up quite a lot of foliage from him at the London shows.

If Kate is there on the 6th we will do a double whammy- I'll chat her up while you admire her earrings:D:D

Bob

Reb

Outstanding stuff - LOVE YOUR COLLECTION and YOUR HISTORY LESSONS !

Really inspiring to read and get the feel of this incredible battle. :) :cool:

Ron

Thanks Ron good to see you back from Germany assume you have returned the Hugo Boss suit back to the hirers:D:D

Reb

Absolutely brilliant! You sir have one of the best active threads on the forum. My compliments. Mike

Yes, echo all the prior comments. However, we don't want to give Bob a swelled head:)

Thanks Simon the ferns are from John Gittings tend to pick up quite a lot of foliage from him at the London shows.

If Kate is there on the 6th we will do a double whammy- I'll chat her up while you admire her earrings:D:D

Bob

That arrangement is probably for the best. I'd only be dribbling like a complete bafoon anyway, which probably wouldn't be regarded by most as being a particularly good look. :D

I need to get a few bits from JG, so will check 'em out (ferns, not earrings).

Simon

Longstreet was not dead but seriously wounded, Colonel Moxley Sorrel arranged for his general to be placed on a blanket using it as a stretcher and a gun limber as a makeshift ambulance to carry his fallen chief back to the Confederate surgeons.

DSC02577.jpg

As they carefully lifted the ailing general, he turned blowing bloody froth from his mouth and rasped
"Moxley tell General Field........to take command and to move forward with the whole Corps.........Notify General Lee that I have been shot......and have left the field......."
Longstreet slumped back in the blanket as his men reverently carried him to the limber

DSC02533-1.jpg

But in the confusion of Longstreet's wounding and the lack of an overall commander the Confederate attack began to lose it's impetus. By the time General Field took command and rectified his troops alignment precious time had been lost.

Three times the Rebs hurled themselves at the Union flank and three times it was repelled as the Union commanders continued to reinforce their lines. After the third attempt Field consolidated his frontline and awaited further orders from General Lee.

DSC02649.jpg

Back at Grant's Headquarters he called a meeting of his Corps Commanders and addressed them.
"Gentlemen, I am dis-engaging from this field"
The shock was visible amongst the assembled generals the silence finally broken by Warren
"Back to the Rapidan sir?"
Grant glared at Warren
"Hell no, I told you all at the beginning of this campaign-there will be no retreat-we continue South!" Grant paused as he lit a cigar
"Look at the map and note the arterial crossroads at Spotsylvania Court-House. Positioning ourselves there will place us between Lee's army and Richmond and will force him to attack us. We will move as quickly as we can leaving General Hancock's II Corps to protect our withdrawal and gentlemen, I expect punctuality and promptitude.

DSC02162.jpg

George Meade's eyes still displayed disbelief at his Commander's decision but he finally uttered
"Sir, would it be prudent for at least one Corps to proceed and threaten Richmond itself as the effect on it's populace may be more advantageous to your plan"
"No sir!" said Grant "Those so called soldiers of the rebellion out there do not charge our guns screaming the name of Jefferson Davis or Richmond. They are fighting for Lee, Lee is the rebellion. If he is defeated, if his army surrenders then make no mistake gentlemen, this war is over."
"Saddle up generals, we continue South"

DSC02169.jpg

Sorrel had sent Major Goree to inform General Lee of Longstreet's wounding. He found him with General Ewell's II Corps.
As he relayed the grave news the color drained from Lee's face and he appeared to slump in his saddle, Goree quickly added
"Our surgeon Dr Cullen did state that the General will live sir"
Lee looked up as if addressing the heavens and then quietly said
"That is what they told us when General Jackson was wounded, alas they were wrong but we must pray to the Almighty that this time Major the surgeon's diagnosis is correct"
Goree nodded and then added
"I am also to tell you sir that the Union troops are pulling out of their breastworks and withdrawing"
Lee's expression turned from pain to puzzlement "Which direction? Back to the Rapidan?"
"No sir, South!"
Lee called to his aide "Colonel Taylor my map case"

DSC02612.jpg

As more couriers arrived bearing the same news, Lee's aides quickly threw a barrel table together and spread the General's maps. Lee and his staff studied then for some moments finally General Ewell pointed and said
"Sir, he may be headed for Fredericksburg to be re-supplied from the river"
Lee continued looking at the map then said
"No gentlemen, General Longstreet was correct- this man Grant fights like no other we have met before. We must not confuse him with McClellan, Burnside or Hooker, he would not completely retire from the field just to be re-supplied" Lee continued "He is flanking us to control the crossroads at Spotsylvania Court-House, then he has placed his army between us and Richmond. He knows I must attack him on ground of his choosing. It is what I would have done if I were in his place"
Lee addressed JEB Stuart "General Stuart you will take your Cavalry Divisions and proceed to the crossroads our army will follow. And General, please with all haste"

DSC02621.jpg

Tactically, Grant had lost a battle, in that he could not drive a weaker opponent from the field. However, Strategically, his total offensive was completely unaffected.
The Battle of the Wilderness was over but The Battle of Spotsylvania was about to begin.

Reb

Amazing! Once again Reb you have hit the baseball out of the park! As a lad when I watched Gettysburg, Longstreet next to Armistead was always my favorite confederate.

Save the Republic! Join the Army of the Potomac!

Vick:D:D:D:D

This is why I collect toy soldiers: they bring history to life. Well done, Sir.

Excellent Reb, you really have got the knack for these dios. You firgues placement is excellent and it's almost like you have had each figures specifically designed for your dio. Great stuff as always looking forward to the next chapter.

A lovely read on this day after Thanksgiving!

Happy holidays everyone!

Bob

Your Civil War Toy Soldier Collection is unbelievable !! :eek:

You must have every figure that has ever been made ?

Great THREAD - THANK YOU !! :D

Another gem in photographing and story telling Reb once again you've brought your figures to life...............The Lt.

I must say Reb, I have never seen a better narrative told with toy soldiers in my life . . . you an Kevin (Panda1gen) are past masters of the illustrated narrative using military miniatures.

Splendid job Reb. I always love coming into the forum and finding something new from you.

By the way... is the scene of Grant and his generals based off a famous photo? I think I recall a picture of Grant standing around a table with maps and his generals. On the other hand, of course Grant would stand around a table with his generals and you wouldnt need a photo to know that. But maybe you had inspiration for that setup?

Harris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back