The American Civil War Diaries (4 Viewers)

Re: Gettysburg The Third Day

However, his facial expression full on is a little bit "duelling banjo's" in fact he reminds me of the character Alfred E Neumann from the MAD magazines that were very popular when I was at college a hundred years ago :D

Reb

:D:D Who? Me? :D:D
Cheers
H

I know the one in the middle is a Conte. Where did you find the Guy with the dog? That kind of adds to the whole thing. I love mascots.

DSC02382.jpg

Vamp,
I got him from a shop on one of my visits to Gettysburg, he came in a set of 4 x 54mm metals with no manufacturers markings on the base just "Gettysburg Soldiers".

I used a little artistic licence to fit the story line and made them Virginians where actually the figure is depicting a soldier and the battalion mascot of the 1st Maryland (Confederate) but history has not recorded the dogs name.

Don Troiani has painted a great picture called "Band of Brothers" showing the 1st Maryland's charge against the Federal Breastworks at Culp's Hill on the morning of the Third of July some hours before Pickett's famous charge on Cemetery Ridge and you can clearly see the mascot way out in front almost as if leading the advance. The charge was repelled and the battalion was almost annihilated including the dog.
However Vamp as you're a mascot lover best not read on..............Federal General Thomas L. Kane kept a diary of his Gettysburg experiences and after the battle of Culp's Hill that morning he walked across the battlefield and heard a weak whimpering, he noticed the dog and knelt beside him. His diary entry stated "....as I knelt by the bloodied body of the dog he licked my hand even though he was perfectly riddled with minies" :(

DSC02382.jpg

Vamp,
I got him from a shop on one of my visits to Gettysburg, he came in a set of 4 x 54mm metals with no manufacturers markings on the base just "Gettysburg Soldiers".

I used a little artistic licence to fit the story line and made them Virginians where actually the figure is depicting a soldier and the battalion mascot of the 1st Maryland (Confederate) but history has not recorded the dogs name.

Don Troiani has painted a great picture called "Band of Brothers" showing the 1st Maryland's charge against the Federal Breastworks at Culp's Hill on the morning of the Third of July some hours before Pickett's famous charge on Cemetery Ridge and you can clearly see the mascot way out in front almost as if leading the advance. The charge was repelled and the battalion was almost annihilated including the dog.
However Vamp as you're a mascot lover best not read on..............Federal General Thomas L. Kane kept a diary of his Gettysburg experiences and after the battle of Culp's Hill that morning he walked across the battlefield and heard a weak whimpering, he noticed the dog and knelt beside him. His diary entry stated "....as I knelt by the bloodied body of the dog he licked my hand even though he was perfectly riddled with minies" :(

D#@T! I did read it! Which one o' dem sneakin' yella blue bellied varmints went and shot a dog!:mad:
BTW if anyone has this figure that they would like to sell please let me know here or pm.

Re: Antietam: Carnage in the Corn-field

As I recall, At Gettysburg The mascot of the 1st Maryland , { A pooch }charged into the fray along with the Regiment and like the majority of his Human friends went down in a hail of Yankee lead.
Poor fido.:(

Fubar

Garnett and Kemper's brigades began to emerge from the tree-line having to engage in various manoevers to dress their front and rear ranks into battle-line. This was conducted by a mounted Infantry major on the left flank and file-closers to the rear

DSC02431.jpg

With parade like precision the Virginians dressed their lines on their red battle flags that marked each units center.
Garnett shouted the order "Forward! Guide center! March!"

The first two brigades of Pickett's Division began their advance on Cemetery Ridge.

DSC02433.jpg

At the Federal line Hancock and his II Corps watched in silence and amazement as a mile away with red flags flying an overwhelming tide of armed men, the sun glinting on barrels and bayonets almost like a sloping forest of flashing steel, marched towards them.

DSC02139.jpg

Colonel Arthur F Devereaux of the 19th Massachusetts regiment stood next to Hancock stuttered "It's as if.....as if..... they are assembled for a full dress grand parade"
Hancock murmered almost to himself, "Magnificent madness!"

DSC02140.jpg

If nothing else them fellas are in a heap o' trouble! You got a heck of a collection Bob. The lighting and camera work is fantastic.There is a question floating in the back of my mind. I guess I will go paint some more figures. Any Zouves or Berdans coming up in this section. My history is spotty but improving.:eek:

This is a brilliant thread Reb, and if I may say so, it's getting better as the storyline develops.

Regards
H

This is a brilliant thread Reb, and if I may say so, it's getting better as the storyline develops.

Regards
H

Thanks Harry I knew you were a rebel at heart.
I think we'll leave those Rebs to enjoy their walk in the hot July sun for a wee while cos it's going to get awfully bloody!

Reb

Thanks Harry I knew you were a rebel at heart.
I think we'll leave those Rebs to enjoy their walk in the hot July sun for a wee while cos it's going to get awfully bloody!

Reb

Eek:eek: Bob I found a great Calendar with Kunstler paintings. All ACW of course!

As Armistead watched Garnett and Kemper's brigades begin their advance he turned to his own brigade who were now assembled. He addressed them loudly
"Men remember why we fight today?; for your wives, for your sweethearts, for your families, for your homes"

DSC02446.jpg

Sticking his old black hat on the end of his sword he walked front and center and further addressed his troops
"Home, boys, home" he cried "Remember home is over beyond that ridge" facing forward he shouted, "Who will follow me?"

DSC02553.jpg

As the final brigade of Pickett's division began their advance on Cemetery Ridge at route step they heard the stirrings of martial music behind them. Confederate musicians positioned beyond the tree-line began playing "The Bonnie Blue Flag".

DSC02533.jpg

Longstreet was under explicit orders from General Lee to stay back from the assault-Lee had already lost Jackson three months before at Chancellorsville and could ill afford to lose another experienced Corps Commander.
Longstreet stood against a rail fence on Seminary Ridge to observe the Confederate advance. He was accompanied by his chief of staff Lt Col. Moxley G Sorrel, who had been with Longstreet since First Manassas but rarely, if ever, had he seen the general in such a pessimistic and sullen mood. Sorrel kept a tight grip of the reins of "Hero", Longstreet's horse, as he was sure that the general would disobey Lee's order, mount his steed and ride off to join his brigades advance.

DSC03367.jpg

They were joined by two foreign observers temporarily attached to the Army of Northern Virginia by their respective country's. They were Captain Fitzgerald Ross of the Imperial Austrian Hussars and Lt Col. Arthur Fremantle of Her Majesty's Coldstream Guards.
As they watched the grand advance Fremantle turned to the general and said
"General Longstreet sah!, I would not have missed this for anything".
Longstreet without even looking at Fremantle replied
"The devil you wouldn't sir, I would liked to have missed it very much!"

DSC03414.jpg

Once again my UKReb another outstanding feature presentation of your Rebel Troops and one of their Brigade Commanders. Looking forward to your next one...The Lt.

Bob, this is getting good, can't wait for the next installment.

It must take quite a while to set up and photograph these displays for our enjoyment, many thanks for that.

Regards

Jeff

It must take quite a while to set up and photograph these displays for our enjoyment, many thanks for that.

Regards

Jeff

Totally agree - superb, gripping stuff. Thanks for posting.:D:eek:

Hi Reb,

Once again, you score a bullseye with your dioramas and with your thrilling narrative! The history of the American Civil War is so spellbinding and the characters so engaging that it is beyond me to understand how anyone could resist a close study of the conflict.

My compliments for an outstanding continuing series! I certainly look forward to more of your posts! Your work is both wonderful and beautiful.

Warmest personal regards,

Pat :)

Regards

Jeff

Jeff,
Its almost like waiting for the next installment of your favourite TV show isn't it? I'm getting sucked into this thread because along with Kevin's Diodramas, its ENTHRALLING.
Well done Bob and when this one ends - please, please, do another one for us.
Best Regards
H

Where did you find the observer figures? Did you do a chop job on the Armistead figure?

Where did you find the observer figures? Did you do a chop job on the Armistead figure?

If I told you that vamp I'd have to shoot you with my Springfield.

Thanks Lt, Jeff, Panda, Pat, Harry for your appreciative comments and apparently "eager anticipation" for the following chapters.

Yeah! Jeff it does take a bit of time to set up and I only get the week-end to work on them but I am at least 26 shots in front of the story, so I can post 4 or 5 a week for the next month whilst setting up the dios for the continuing story.

That for me personally is what a Toy soldier collection and passsionate hobby is all about. I was never one to just display in cabinets "soldiers on parade" and with almost a 1000 figures that's virtually impossible (plus a lady partner who does not want "bloodied miniatures" spoiling her art deco home) To just have them stored away in boxes is a crying shame especially when considering what they cost you, so letting them all take part in Diodramas is the answer for me and I fully accept everybody's taste is not the same. But a big bonus is having albums of pictures of a pretty accurate account of the battle/battles played out by military miniatures.

Thanks again guys and a pre-warning the dio will shortly be carrying an 18 certificate for containing much violence & mayhem.

Reb.

As the realisation that the Confederates were indeed advancing to assault his lines Hancock turned and shouted
"Here they come men!"-- "To your guns!"

DSC02669.jpg

Frenetic activity commenced all along the Federal line as regimental drummers beat out the call "To the colors"

DSC02611.jpg

Artillery officers shouted out orders to the gun-crews
"Bring up the limbers!"
"Swab out those bores!"
"Mark your range and elevation!"
"Cut those time-setting fuses correctly boys!"
The battery crews sweated in the hot July sun as they prepared the 12 pounder Napoleons and rifled 3" Ordnance and Parrott's.

DSC02598.jpg

A second line of infantry made up of two Pennsylvanian regiments were ordered to the wall

DSC02655.jpg

Captain Richard Moroney of the 59th New York regiment- predominantly made up of Irish immigrants- slowly walked up and down his front line quietly talking and calming his men as they nervously watched the advancing Reb army-a full half mile in width and in two perfect lines- slowly marching towards them

"Let the artillery do it's work men. Hold your fire until the Rebs reach that road out there. And aim low!"

DSC02641.jpg

As he watched the advance a bearded 59th infantryman remembered his bible and almost in a whisper uttered
"Terrible as an army with banners"
His sergeant hearing the quote patted the man's shoulder and said loudly enough for all his unit to hear
"Now Patrick!, you'll be remembering how those Johnnies gave us a bit of hell at Fredericksburg. Well boyo! it'll be our turn now to be returning them the compliments!"
The men smiled and waited with trepidation- the advancing Confederate army.

DSC02639.jpg

Hi Reb,

When I first saw your latest set of pictures, all I could think of to say was, "Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!" However, upon further thought, I think I want to also say, "More! More! More!"

Beautiful work!

Warmest personal regards,

Pat :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back