The American Civil War Diaries (2 Viewers)

Re: Antietam: Carnage in the Corn-field

Reb I am so envious! Does any one want to buy a bunch of K&C Napoleonics? I have been away with the gf. It was my Birthday yesterday and she kidnaped me:D Made me perform al sorts of.......:eek:

Made me perform al sorts of.......:eek:

....tricks with your Visa card? No? Just mine then :(

Reb,

Awesome shots and fantastic storyline. I do like the scenic pieces you're using. Must stock up...

Simon

Bob,
I just got to say that your dioramas truly capture the intensity of the war between the states. The picture of the Union soldiers loading their field pieces is the best picture yet.

The one suggestion I would make would be to include less flagbearers in your shots. I think this would dramaticly improve the realism of the photos:)

Re: Gettysburg The Third Day

Bob,
I just got to say that your dioramas truly capture the intensity of the war between the states. The picture of the Union soldiers loading their field pieces is the best picture yet.

The one suggestion I would make would be to include less flagbearers in your shots. I think this would dramaticly improve the realism of the photos:)

Many thanks for your kind comments, I'm pleased that you and other froggers are enjoying the shots of the war between the States. Needless to say I'm a nutter on it.
You raise a valid point that I've taken on board reference the flag-bearers. However, along that comparitively small area at Cemetery Ridge Hancock placed 27 regiments (if you have been to Gettysburg you only have to count the prolific amount of regimental monuments all along the ridge behind the stone-wall). Each of those regiments carried their regimental colors and the State flag
It's a historical fact that the officers made the flag-bearers deliberately wave their flags as an act of bravado at the approaching Rebs to let them know that the Confederate barrage had not moved them off the ridge. It was also done to allay the fear running through the Federal lines when they were watching 12000 troops marching towards them with grim determination, I have an idea how I would have felt watching what must have been an awesome and extremely frightening spectacle and a fluttering flag wouldn't have helped me, but that's what happened

So for realism in the shot I was trying to depict that amount of regiments by banners rather than soldiers and also the Federal act of bravado. But on reflection of your comment there may just be one too many captured in the reduced area of a single picture.
Reb

Reb, Trying to find 10th Tennesee and Irish Jasper Greens. Will send as soon as paint dries. I mean as soon as they are found! Moving behind large contingent of Fighting Joes command.:D

Reb, Trying to find 10th Tennesee and Irish Jasper Greens. Will send as soon as paint dries. I mean as soon as they are found! Moving behind large contingent of Fighting Joes command.:D

I'll try and keep the advance going but the left flank is receiving enfilade fire....get me outta here!

Reb

I'll try and keep the advance going but the left flank is receiving enfilade fire....get me outta here!

Reb

Sorry! Taking time. Irish on the march is a lot like herding cats!:D

Reb, in your diorama , how many different regiments are portrayed?

Re: Gettysburg The Third Day

As the advancing Rebs closed at the 1500 yards range Brig General Henry H Hunt-a superlatively good Chief of Artillery- gave his batteries officers the command
"Commence Firing!"
With a thunderous roar the federal barrage began as the muzzles of gun after gun spewed out their fiery discharge of lethal loads.

DSC03022.jpg

The five regiments making up Garnett's Brigade and being front & center of the Confederate advance received the first federal shells exploding amongst their ranks

DSC02753.jpg

DSC02940.jpg

With fearful effect as many as ten men were killed or mortally wounded by the bursting of a single shell

DSC02756.jpg

Acrid smoke filled the air making it almost impossible for the Confederate infantrymen to see their comrades but they could hear the screams of pain and yells for help between the roar of the explosions

DSC03490.jpg

But for some nothing could be heard but the infernal noise of exploding shells and in front of them great eruptions of grass and earth from the smitten ground showering them with a black rain of Pennsylvanian soil mixed with the blood of their colleagues

DSC03519.jpg

Others kept their eyes front and forward as their officers screamed to be heard above the hideous noise of the explosions
"Close up!" "Close up!"
"Don't stop keep marching"
"Close ranks!"
"Redress your line"
But looking straight ahead they could see the ridge line and brilliant orange and red flashes followed by the ear-splitting noise of another explosive shell as it landed behind, in front or either side of them as more of their comrades simply disappeared in a shower of flame and scorched earth.

DSC03559.jpg

Colonel Eppa Hunton CO of the 8th Virginia regiment having had both his legs shattered screamed to his men above the noise
"Keep moving men, I can see the ridge" with tears of pain and almost on the verge of collapse from loss of blood, wept,
"Another five minutes my brave boys and you're there"

DSC03621.jpg

Major Waller Tazewell Patton of the 7th Virginia ( A great uncle of a future American General George S Patton) pointed his sword at the ridge and shouted to his men
"You heard the Colonel five more minutes. Forward March!"
and the ragged lines that had started to come apart, redressed, prepared to carry their muskets at right shoulder shift and still marching at route step came on as if at drill.

DSC03503.jpg

Reb,
Those shots are O-U-T-S-T-A-N-D-I-N-G-!!!!!!
The best explosions and muzzle blasts I have seen. And to mix in the mid air dead and dying, well, I'm seriously impressed.
Simon

Outstand my friend, your explosions are superb.....:eek:

Reb,
Those shots are O-U-T-S-T-A-N-D-I-N-G-!!!!!!
The best explosions and muzzle blasts I have seen. And to mix in the mid air dead and dying, well, I'm seriously impressed.
Simon

Bob, Simon has summed it up, what more can be said? Truely amazing stuff..........:cool:

Jeff

Your civil war dioramas are always incredible but you out did yourself with that one!!!!:cool: I love your explosions and cannon blasts.
GREAT STUFF!!!!

I didn't think it could be done but you did it. Amazing. :eek:

Union troops cheer as the Rebs are blasted to bits

More troops rush to the line.

More Rebs begin to move out from the trees

They continue the surge forward urged on by their Division commander!

Hi Reb,

Bravo!!! Bravo!!! Bravo!!! Your work defies available descriptive adjectives! Viewing your diorama and reading your narrative are deeply moving experiences! Thank you for sharing.

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back