The American Civil War Diaries (2 Viewers)

Re: Gettysburg The Third Day

Regimental commanders were struck down and fell dead before their men. The chain of command in a matter of minutes passed from Colonel to Lt Colonel to Major to Captain without the lower ranks even realising.

DSC03575.jpg

Major Kirkwood Otey of the 11th Virginia now found himself senior officer on the field after leaving the blood-soaked bodies of his Colonel and Lt.Colonel some way behind him.
His men were now marching over the dead and mutilated bodies of the frontal regiments

DSC03839.jpg

As he marched at the front of his men he glanced down at the body of a youth no older than fifteen his face resting on his arm as if asleep in the warm afternoon sun.
Otey thought to himself as he passed. "He's only a boy, what thoughts of home, mother, death and eternity did he have as his life-blood ebbed away".

DSC03851.jpg

Otey led his men on, just ahead he could see a slight rise, on top of the rise was a rail fence.
They had reached the Emmitsburg road that disected the field that had now become a slaughterground.
Once across it his men's muskets would finally, since beginning their advance, be in range to fire on the federal lines.

DSC03869.jpg

Thanks panda, as always, appreciative comments from you is indeed an honour.

Reb

I am sure everyone would agree - they are truly superb. Nobody does 'action diodramas' as well as you.

Re: Antietam: Carnage in the Corn-field

UKReb!

Those last pics are just 100%! Just amazing - i´m totaly away!:) Tell us about the setup, please??

Once again my UKReb another work of art

There are some amazing dioramas to be seen on this forum, but this one taken together with the storyline, has to be up there with the very best. Thanks for the inspiration Reb.
Regards
H

There are some amazing dioramas to be seen on this forum, but this one taken together with the storyline, has to be up there with the very best. Thanks for the inspiration Reb.
Regards
H
Ain't it the truth! And we are having fun too!

So Reb, The cannon blasts and explosions that are so very stunning. It looks like cotton or batting then paint and then tobacco? What exactly are you using and where did you learn or pull it off?

A shattered gun

Artillery crew leaving shattered gun

Reason for Arty crew leaving shattered gun

So Reb, The cannon blasts and explosions that are so very stunning. It looks like cotton or batting then paint and then tobacco? What exactly are you using and where did you learn or pull it off?

A shattered gun

Vamp good shattered gun,
but ever thought about a "burst barrel". Historical fact during the war there were more Confederate and quite a few Federal cannons destroyed by defective shells/fuses exploding inside the barrel than was destroyed by artillery fire.
Learned this effective trick from an old modeller, most miniature cannons you buy are solid barreled making it difficult to work with.
So take a rolled tube of plastic sheet, made to fit over the barrel, feather one end by cutting, dip the end in boiling water, bend the feathered ends back like the leaves of a plant, let it set hard, paint to suit, looks better on a Napoleon cos you can paint black scar marks on a brass barrel, slip it on the end of your cannon. The parrott rifle in your shot is the easiest to do as the plastic can be fitted right up to the strengthening ring at the end of the gun barrel.
I assure you it looks darn effective with appropriate blown back casualty figures when portraying an artillery battery in your diorama.

I'll send you a pm on knocking up effective looking xplosions.
Reb

Here is a good one. The gun came about because of the difficulties in casting the wheels. Bad casting equals broken wheels. What to do?

There had been a slight ridge before the fenced road that had provided a brief respite for the Rebs from the shell and shot that had poured into them over that bloody & deadly 1000 yards of open ground.

But as they reached the top of the rise they once again began to receive murderous artillery fire. They now broke ranks and raced for the road, as they approached the high post and plank fence the Virginians beat at it with their musket butts & bayonets in a desperate attempt to break it down

DSC03137.jpg

Under intense artillery fire the Butternuts smashed at the wooden fence, but some unknown and unknowing Pennsylvanian farmer had built it too stoutly to be thus knocked down by just the mere muscle and sweat of desperate men.

DSC03147.jpg

General Garnett rallying his men yelled
"Save your strength for the ridge men! Go over the top-Climb the fence! We cannot stay here"

DSC02997.jpg

There was no alternative but to climb and the Virginians scrambled up and over assisting each other where they could. Colonel John T Ellis 19th Virginia was the first officer over and he started to rally his men into battle-line for the assault on the ridge.
But they were now even more exposed and in musket range making fine targets for the Federal Infantry waiting patiently behind the low stone wall at the top of the ridge.

DSC03193.jpg

The carnage continues! Awesome stuff Reb, both photos and narrative.

Simon

Between UKReb, Panda1gen and The Lt., we are treated to a highly entertaining history lesson every time we check the diorama threads! Thanks guys!

Cheese and crackers! Nice work as usual. I just can not get enough of the color. Orders?

UKReb, unbelieveable closeups, those bomb affects are awesome. KV I agree well done damaged cannon. I think the dioramas are getting better and better every month. The amount of creativity on this fourm is without words.:)

Between UKReb, Panda1gen and The Lt., we are treated to a highly entertaining history lesson every time we check the diorama threads! Thanks guys!

Thanks Louis, Mike, Vamp, Simon for your appreciative comments and I am sure I speak for panda, The Lt and every other dio contributor on the forum that appreciative replies make our efforts all the more worthwhile regardless of our own particular war/era that we are attempting to portray. Guess that's what makes the hobby so diverse and interesting. Thanks again.

Oh! and Simon.......carnage! You aint seen nothing yet!

Reb.

Thanks Louis, Mike, Vamp, Simon for your appreciative comments and I am sure I speak for panda, The Lt and every other dio contributor on the forum that appreciative replies make our efforts all the more worthwhile regardless of our own particular war/era that we are attempting to portray. Guess that's what makes the hobby so diverse and interesting. Thanks again.

Oh! and Simon.......carnage! You aint seen nothing yet!

Reb.

Hey Reb what do you mean, carnage! You aint seen nothing yet! ????
Did your modeling buddies teach you how to disenbowel your troops also!???:eek::p

This I,ve got to see! Great stuff Reb, Keep it coming!!!

Well spoken and stated Reb....The Lt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back