The American Civil War Diaries (2 Viewers)

Re: Antietam: Carnage in the Corn-field

UKReb, and KV, great stuff, keep the battle going.:)

Thanks for your comments. Original battlefield was 20' x 10' and although built in modules it was just too darn big, It's now a more manageable size of 10' x 4'.

This set of four corn stalks I bought in a model shop Railroad Express in the Bay Area San Francisco although the owner John did tell me he also listed on eBay. They come in various scales these are 1-32. I particularly like the ears of corn on these sets

DSC05700.jpg

These sets came from Old NorthWest they are metal and I believe Britains are bringing out similar sets this year.

DSC05713.jpg

Hope that helps
Reb

I have seen some really nice backdrops on TS&MF. Going to look at their website and order some for Zulus and ACW.

Re: Gettysburg The Third Day

Garnett's men were now just 25yards from the Federal Line. Garnett, still mounted, with incredible coolness and deliberation, endeavoured to keep his line well dressed and closed.
He knew that the courage needed for men to march into the defenses of any foe is immense. That which was needed to traverse nearly a mile across open ground into the fire of massed artillery and now intense infantry fire was almost indescribable.
But his normally well disciplined Confederates instead of charging the wall started to drop to their knees one, two, more, then a whole line, they had had enough of this punishing barrage, it was time to fight back and they poured a thunderous volley into the massed men in blue.

DSC03936.jpg

The Confederate musket fire now began to take its deadly toll amongst the Federal front line regiments in particular the 69th which started to receive massive casualties.

DSC03906.jpg

These Virginian farm-boys were almost born with muskets in their hands and could take out the eye of a jack-rabbit at 500yards. They continued to pour accurate and precision fire into the Union infantry and artillery gunners. Officers frantically attempted to plug the gaps as their men began to drop from the hail of Southern lead.

DSC03956.jpg

One of these casualties was Lorenzo Hereford Cushing of Battery A 4th US Artillery who would posthumously become a Union hero of Gettysburg.
Desperately wounded in both arms and legs and his battery now down to two guns he refused to leave his post and continued to direct the fire of his guns.
As he shouted the order "Help me load one more shot of canister" a bullet entered through his open mouth killing him instantly, his lifeless body tumbling across the barrel of his cannon.

DSC05483.jpg

Garnett immediately noticed the slackening of Federal fire at the part of the wall that would go into the history books as the Angle.
His men's accurate rifle fire was inflicting tremendous casualties all along the line. Now was the time to break that line.
Garnett yelled to his men
"The're breaking boys! The're breaking! Follow me to the wall!"

DSC03947.jpg

With Garnett out front the front line of Rebs now gave out their shrilling Rebel yell and charged towards the Union line, who seeing the screaming graybacks running towards started falling back to the rear.

DSC03977.jpg

Into the history books steps another Union hero Frederick Fuger the last of Cushings gunners left alive. As he started to retreat he noticed that the last cannon Cushing had loaded before being felled had the lanyard still attached. He stopped long enough to pull the firing attachment and the very last canister load of Cushing's battery blasted from the cannon muzzle with a mighty roar

DSC04073.jpg

It exploded dead centre amongst Garnett's advancing men. Garnett disappeared in a cascade of fire , smoke and red hot iron. The charge faltered and then stopped with their General down the survivors quickly beat a retreat back to their regiment's firing line.

With both flanks of the two Confederate brigades receiving artillery enfilade and the centre stopped a mere 30 yards from the wall the Rebs were in desperate need of support ........and fast!

DSC04275.jpg

Reb,
This is like reading a histo-novel! But better cause it's got the top pics! I need to know what happens next.
Big thumbs up. :cool:

Simon

Reb,
This is like reading a histo-novel! But better cause it's got the top pics! I need to know what happens next.
Big thumbs up. :cool:

Simon

Simon

You wont like it!

Reb

Simon

You wont like it!

Reb

:D:D
I could google it I suppose, but that would seem like cheating and reading the last page of the book, so I'll hang on in there and wait for the next chapter.

I am going to be moving the shelf dios to the larger table and moving the toy ACW figures to the shelves. What are you using for background. I would think that your table is large enough that a back drop is not completely necessary:)

PLEASE tell us how you do the Muzzle blasts:confused:

These veterans are ready willing and able to help out.

Re: Gettysburg The Third Day

General "Lo" Armistead and his five regiments, still marching at route step, were now approaching the Emmitsburg Road. The thick gun-smoke now practically covered the top half of the field making it difficult to see what was happening at the top of the ridge.
Armistead was surprised to see Brig. Gen. James Kemper ride up to him, he was bloodied and sweating profusely.
"Lo, you gotta come quick, we're being shot all to hell up there!"
He stopped to grab his breath
"Can you double quick your brigade as I fear our right and left flanks are on the verge of collapse"
Before Kemper spurred his horse back up the field he mournfully added
"And Lo.............Dick Garnett's down!"

DSC02527.jpg

Armistead watched Kemper gallop off, his expression betrayed nothing on hearing the fate of his friend. Instead he turned quickly to Colonel John Bowie Magruder of the 57th Virginia the brigades lead regiment and said
"Colonel, centralise the brigade with a left oblique and at the double quick, now"

DSC04187.jpg

With both his orders quickly executed Armistead and his brigade began their run towards the ridge and their beleagured colleagues.

DSC02682.jpg

As they approached the road they did not have the impediment of climbing the high wooden fence which had so hindered Garnett and Kempers men. When the federal artillery had opened up on them they took out whole traunches of fence planks and poles. But flanking artillery and infantry fire were now being concentrated on this new advancing threat to the federal front line but the Rebs began to race across the road and up the final ridge.

DSC03433.jpg

As he began his run across the road Private Edwin Byrd color bearer of the 9th Virginia took a bullet to the arm almost severing it. The colors were immediately lifted by Major John C Ownes who shouting above the gun-fire yelled at the wounded flag-bearer
"Son! can you make it back to the rear"

DSC03457.jpg

Byrd nodded, as he did so another 9th Infantryman-the cocky wit of the regiment- ran past and shouted
"Hey! major, them Yankees have gone and winged our little regimental Byrd!"

DSC03463.jpg

Last edited:

UKReb, great detail, love the gore, your explosions are incredible. KV that is on large Civil War display you got going there. Great Stuff:)

Bob,

This has been said (and I am sure will continue to be said) many times before, so sorry to sound repetative, but thanks for the time, effort and sheer brilliance for what you have provided for the rest of us, this is just amazing!

:):):)

Regards

Jeff

Ah yes, I've been waiting for Armistead's brigade:D Your dios are absolutely teriffic thanks for taking the time to post.

The artillery battery reminds me of a quote posted at Antietam Battlefield.

"...We have again lost some of the noblest men in the south. The wounds generally in more of a serious nature than heretofore. I pronounce this battle to have been the most terrible in artillery than any one of the preceding fights. I never was so tired of shelling in my life. I hate cannons."

Dr. James Boulware,
6th South Carolina Infantry,
D. R. Jones’s Division
Diary, Virginia State Library

I like the Berdan's Sharpshooters. The Grey beard on the left was modeled after a guy that used to be in my Union reenactment unit.

(except he's on the right here.)

http://www.pf-militarygallery.com/images/gallon/Gal11.jpg

I love that set. I have it myself. I have been putting a company of Berdans' together for our next dio. Wait until you see.
Also, there is a new article in the Civil War Times on USSS 1.

Having not been around so much lately i've only just discovered this thread.
It's truly awsome what you guys are achieving here.
What would be really good if when it is all finished it could be collected in a single uninterrupted thread.

Having not been around so much lately i've only just discovered this thread.
It's truly awsome what you guys are achieving here.
What would be really good if when it is all finished it could be collected in a single uninterrupted thread.

IMO,
Both diorama sections are what makes this forum a pleasure to visit.
Cheers
H

Harry your new strap line is The Stealer by Free. Ask me one on sport and you'll win!
Reb

Harry your new strap line is The Stealer by Free. Ask me one on sport and you'll win!
Reb

:confused::confused::confused:
One of the best British bands ever from the early 1970's. American readers might be interested to know that Paul Rogers and Simon Kirke went on to form another brilliant band who were very popular in the States;
Bad Company.
Not much good on sports questions. This is fun, so gimme some time to dream up another one. :)
Cheers
H

The fences had a devastating effect on the Confederate lines of battle. Lines broke up into small pockets as they clambered over the railing. It had proven very difficult to break through. Though in some places they did. Their officers desperately tried to reform. This proved difficult as Federal fire also proved to be extremely effective. Never the less some Rebs did make it to the Union lines. Some Union troops did panic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back