The American Civil War Diaries (1 Viewer)

Re: Antietam: Carnage in the Corn-field

KV, nice setup, you really have some cool Civil War figures. I like that sniper pic also.:)

KV, nice setup, you really have some cool Civil War figures. I like that sniper pic also.:)

Thanks Mike! I am learning a lot from Bob with his fantastic shots. I also have learned a great deal from the Lt as well. My diorama building si progressing as does our storyline. We will be working closely together in the future. So I will have to get better.

One thing I have noticed is the perspective really changes with closeups. The dio in real life/time does not carry the intensity that the closeups reveal.

I love the Sniper/ sharpshooter stuff. Along with zouaves they are becoming some of my favorites.

Another shot of the Rebs line of battle ruined by the fence builders of Pennsylvania

Re: Gettysburg The Third Day

General Pickett and his staff were positioned at the Codori barn which was closer to the front line than a Division Commander should have been.
As he watched Armistead's brigade begin their assault on Cemetery Ridge he reared his horse and waved his sword wildly as if he himself was leading his regiments. He screamed with sheer excitement
"That's the style Lo! That's the style! Give them the bayonet and break their line!"

DSC04121.jpg

He quickly dismounted to pencil a note that read:-
The Union position could now, it appears, be carried, but will be unable to hold without reinforcements
He passed the note to one of his staff Captain R A Bright stating
"Take that to General Longstreet as quick as you can, with my compliments!"

DSC04224.jpg

Bright found Longstreet at Seminary Ridge observing the Confederate assault, he passed him Pickett's message. Longstreet read the note in complete silence and asked Bright no questions, he just looked down at the ground and seemed to shake his head.
Bright did not comprehend the Corps Commanders stance and hurriedly said
"General Longstreet, Sir! Have you a reply that I may relay to General Pickett"

Longstreet's action to Pickett's request is an impenetratable enigma that has baffled historians and students of this battle. The battle at this stage hung in the balance. The immediate advantage, although desperately slim, lay with the Confederates. Armistead's men with the remnants of Garnett and Kemper's brigades were thick on the slope below the weakly held Angle. Yet the Confederate High Command appeared paralysed. Lee gave no orders whatsoever throughout the assault leaving the direction to his Corps Commander.
Longstreet appeared to accept as fait accompli that the assault had already failed and although Generals Mahone and Posey had their brigades ready to advance Longstreet instead selected an already battle beaten brigade resting in a peach orchard, albeit this brigade was closer to the front.

"Captain Bright! Tell General Pickett that Cadmus Wilcox's brigade is in that peach orchard and he can order him to his assistance"

DSC04082.jpg

Meanwhile on top of the ridge the remnants of Garnett and Kempers brigades had formed a firing line congregated just in front of the wall, trading rifle shots with Gibbon's federal troops across the bare space of just a few yards.
The men on both sides of the low stone wall recoiled under the terrific close fire that poured into each others ranks.

DSC04348.jpg

On the left flank of the Confederate line stood the last of Kemper's senior officers still left alive Lt Colonel A D Callcote who had lost his right arm at the battle of Malvern Hill the previous year.
Callcote quickly realised the desperate situation the Reb line was in and quickly assessed he had two choices:- Forward or retreat!
Picking up the battle flag from the hands of his mortally wounded color bearer he yelled at the few men around him
"Men, I am going to plant our colors on the enemies works. Who will follow the colors?"

DSC03766.jpg

As death seemed to indiscriminantly sweep comrades from either side of him, conspicuously out in front Callcote with a few of his men joining in concert rushed forward with unyielding determination to plant the Southern banner on the wall of the enemy in a desperate do or die attempt to break the federal line.

DSC03778.jpg

Once again Reb a fantastic piece of work.The final picture is superb,i can almost feel the fear and adrenalin in the Rebs as they approach the union positions.Your commentary is also spot on,breathes life into the pictures we are looking at.You know at some points i almost feel i should be taking cover!:eek:

Congratulations and keep up the good work!

Rob

Reb again I've gone from your first posting to your last and it's amazing seeing the results of what you've accomplished to date. The time and effort you've spent putting it all together providing the results is outstanding. Thanks Reb for taking the hours putting it all together it show the knowledge you've acquired on the subject matter and the love of it. Looking forward to the next chapter....The Lt.

Pvt "Willie" Mills takes the colors forward for one of the regiments in A.P. Hills' Corps. Pvt. Mills is one of three brothers and the nephew of John Mills an Irish Patriot. They are headed for the Copse of trees. Fire pours in from all sides as the Rebs continue to move forward.

The fire intensifies and casualties start to build up.

"Give em! the cold steel" Vamp

Reb

Reb again I've gone from your first posting to your last and it's amazing seeing the results of what you've accomplished to date. The time and effort you've spent putting it all together providing the results is outstanding. Thanks Reb for taking the hours putting it all together it show the knowledge you've acquired on the subject matter and the love of it. Looking forward to the next chapter....The Lt.

Bob,

I think that Joe has summed it up in a nutshell...many thanks for all your time and effort, this is a very enjoyable thread.

Regards

Jeff

Ditto that! Thanks to Reb and KV for my pictorial ACW history lesson.

Gentlemen, Thank you for the fantastic pictures. I am brand new to this forum as well as building dioramas. Your works are a great inspiration.

As Callcote and his gallant band of Rebs rushed forward to the wall the Federal troops were caught out by the surprise assault, flustered and frightened they started to break to the rear

DSC04345.jpg

Lt Col Callcote was just a few steps from placing his flag on the muzzle of a Union cannon and shouted to his men close behind
"Come on boys!. The're running the bluebellies are..................."

DSC04370.jpg

But the effort of an unknown Union hand pulling a firing lanyard was all it took to send Callcote and half his men into oblivion

DSC04471.jpg

Southern valour proved no match for gunpowder, lead and iron

DSC04420.jpg

As the federal lines quickly reformed their front the few survivors of Callcote's charge dragged themselves back to their now fast depleting firing line. Amongst them was Private Franklin Tyler carrying his mortally wounded younger brother William, as he gently cradled his head the young Tyler reached up to his brother and coughing blood stuttered
"Tell.............tell Father........I...I... died with my face to the enemy"
As Billy Tyler slipped into eternal sleep, his brother Frank heard somewhere behind him a distinct bugle call and above the noise of the battle, a chorus of yells........Rebel Yells!

DSC05880.jpg

It was Armistead and his brigade emerging from the gun-smoke, yelling through the mayhem of battle, charging up the ridge.
With hundreds of casualties behind him Armistead-the last of Pickett's brigadiers- still using his old beaten hat on top of his sword as a beacon to guide his men and despite the hail of iron and lead, closed in on the Federal line just south of the Angle

DSC04527.jpg

Lo Armistead swiftly assessed the desperate situation of the last of his two colleagues brigades and how few were left. He turned to Lt Col Rowley Martin 53rd Virginia and shouted
"Rowley! We cannot stay here as a firing line. We must breach the wall-aim for that copse of trees "

DSC04554.jpg

Martin moved off at a left oblique leading his troops towards the chosen salient point. Armistead determined on keeping the momentum of his charge focused on one specific area followed with his right flank.

DSC04557.jpg

As the Rebs moved from battle line towards the copse they naturally formed a solid wedge of men and the situation became that classic of military tactics ever since Alexander's Macedonian Infantry conquered half the known world.

Column against Line, and column can generally break a line.

As he led his brigade, all now headed for the focal point of attack, Armistead gambled that this ancient and Napoleon's favourite tactic would break the federal line and get him and his men over that wall.

DSC04572.jpg

I am confident that this time the Southern boys shall prevail !!
(hint, hint, hint)

Reb,
Hanging on every word and every picture!
Awesome stuff!

All I can say is I am going to get more guys! Thank all of you for the attention and appreciation. This is a labor of love. Rebs labor and I love to goof off and look at all the pretty pictures. I like making some of my own too. More will follow. Minnies are hissing by my head. The WCer should be a blast.

UKReb - Just when you think they can't get any better....they do.

Bob,
Superlatives simply aren't enough.
Thanks...REALLY THANKS for this thread. I honestly don't know what more I can add to the appreciative comments already made by other fans of this thread.
Except, don't stop. We need our regular fix....:):)
Cheers
H

Bob wanted me to tell all of you Thanks for all of the kind comments. He is currently in the Canary Islands on a much needed RNR.

"It is good that war is so horrible, that we should like it to much."
Robert E. Lee

Seemingly on the edge of the world. The Confederate battery continues to support the advance. Trying to knock out Federal Batteries.The grandson of Patrick Henry, Col. Henry, looks on to check the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back