The American Civil War Diaries (4 Viewers)

Re: Antietam: Carnage in the Corn-field

Hey Reb what do you mean, carnage! You aint seen nothing yet! ????
Did your modeling buddies teach you how to disenbowel your troops also!???:eek::p

This I,ve got to see! Great stuff Reb, Keep it coming!!!

Yep, ever so slightly curious....:eek:

Reb,

Looks like you have been adding to your repetoire of dio building. Real dirt? Also the fence looks pretty authentic? Was that from the ONTC or did you make it?

Reb,

Looks like you have been adding to your repetoire of dio building. Real dirt? Also the fence looks pretty authentic? Was that from the ONTC or did you make it?

No vamp....I aint been digging the dirt, it's filler for double o guage railways, always worth looking at in hobby shops when you're building dios, darn cheap to boot..... and the plank and posts- Conte Antietam series. I bought four sets just to get those authentic looking chestnut fences.
No I'm not showing off $ wise- a dealer wanted to shift 8 or 9 sets fast and I got 4 of them for an absolute snip. The figures that came with them are pretty good as well.

Reb.

No vamp....I aint been digging the dirt, it's filler for double o guage railways, always worth looking at in hobby shops when you're building dios, darn cheap to boot..... and the plank and posts- Conte Antietam series. I bought four sets just to get those authentic looking chestnut fences.
No I'm not showing off $ wise- a dealer wanted to shift 8 or 9 sets fast and I got 4 of them for an absolute snip. The figures that came with them are pretty good as well.

Reb.

Yup,
I've been using a lot of railway accessories for the groundwork on the diorama bases I've been making over the past few months. I wouldn't say that its a cheap option, but pretty effective I think.
Cheers
H

Reb.

Just a suggestion for the dirt.....I am a member of a Farm toys forum and a lot of guys use used coffee grounds for the soil. (Obviously you have to dry the out first). Some also get good results using a mix of coffee grounds and regular potting soil, sieved to remove any large pieces).

Just a suggestion for the dirt.....I am a member of a Farm toys forum and a lot of guys use used coffee grounds for the soil. (Obviously you have to dry the out first). Some also get good results using a mix of coffee grounds and regular potting soil, sieved to remove any large pieces).

I have a Gaggia MDF grinder. How fine should it be? Drip, French Press, Espresso?????

Thanks britfarmer I might give that a go. I have in fact, believe it or not, used Instant coffee granules mixed with foliage which gives a pretty good ground cover for woods/treelines etc, when finished with the dio/shots I just hoover it up off of the field.
That does however, inevitably generates a few complaints from the lady of the house, coffee gone! hoover clogged!

Reb

Thanks britfarmer I might give that a go. I have in fact, believe it or not, used Instant coffee granules mixed with foliage which gives a pretty good ground cover for woods/treelines etc, when finished with the dio/shots I just hoover it up off of the field.
That does however, inevitably generates a few complaints from the lady of the house, coffee gone! hoover clogged!

Reb

Instant coffee???????:eek: Why don't you just say garlic????:eek:

I have a Gaggia MDF grinder. How fine should it be? Drip, French Press, Espresso?????

:eek: Don't be getting all fancy on me there :D I buy mine already ground Maxwell House.

I guess I'm just not a coffee connaisseur :eek:

Re: Gettysburg The Third Day

As the Rebs clambered up and over the fence bordering the Emmitsburg road Lt Frederick Brown Battery B 1st Rhode Island Light Artillery yelled at his gunners
"Change to canister-double load! And blast those Rebs off that fence"

DSC03643.jpg

But before Brown's gunners could switch from shell to canister the Federal infantry sprang up from their crouched positions where they had been patiently waiting behind the low stone wall.
These were the veterans of Gibbon's Division who had known every battlefield from Bull Run onwards

DSC03653.jpg

Pennsylvanians and New Yorkers, men of Massachusetts & Michigan, frontiersmen of Minnesota, tall lumbermen of Maine. By regiment and brigade their lines brought down their muskets and took careful aim

DSC03663.jpg

At the word of command "Fire" their lines blazed with fire and the gunsmoke emitted, just for a few seconds, almost blocked out the sun

DSC03723.jpg

The shock of the lead slugs struck the Confederates in some cases passing straight through their bodies and slamming into the chestnut fence planks behind them. Along the line everywhere men dropped, half the colors went down, men hestitated to attempt the climb, the lines began to falter.

DSC03253.jpg

But despite the intense musketry fire now combined with canister, the flags came up as others coming from the rear ranks rushed to recover them from their fallen comrades and although the regimental formation was now broken, men still managed to rush forward in fragments of lines determined to reach that wall

DSC03349.jpg

This surely has to be one of the best displays I have ever seen. What size does it occupy UKReb? Can I also ask what you used for the cornstalks ?

Look forward to the next installment.

UKReb, are you sure your not from our neck of the woods? Every time I look at this thread, it gets better. Great firing line, this is different, usually it's the Yanks being mowed down in a hail of mini balls from the Rebs. Excellent pics,:).

I can't decide which I like the best. This thread, or Panda1Gen's Bulge thread. They're both different, but magnificent in their own unique way.

As the Rebs move forward into the notch,more federal troops pour fire into the decimated divisions

As the Rebs move forward into the notch,more federal troops pour fire into the decimated divisions

Good stuff vamp
but I think it's the Rebs who are in desperate need of support

Reb

Good stuff vamp
but I think it's the Rebs who are in desperate need of support

Reb

I'll see what I can do if you will tell me what you are using for the smoke.

This surely has to be one of the best displays I have ever seen. What size does it occupy UKReb? Can I also ask what you used for the cornstalks ?

Look forward to the next installment.

Thanks for your comments. Original battlefield was 20' x 10' and although built in modules it was just too darn big, It's now a more manageable size of 10' x 4'.

This set of four corn stalks I bought in a model shop Railroad Express in the Bay Area San Francisco although the owner John did tell me he also listed on eBay. They come in various scales these are 1-32. I particularly like the ears of corn on these sets

DSC05700.jpg

These sets came from Old NorthWest they are metal and I believe Britains are bringing out similar sets this year.

DSC05713.jpg

Hope that helps
Reb

Thanks very much Rob even at 10 x 4 that is still a good sized layout. The first set of corn does look great. I will have to browse the net and see if I can find some. The Britains ones look similar to the second set, they don't look to bad either.

Many thanks again

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back