Trophy WW1 (2 Viewers)

Another great looking set, but I am going to focus on the vehicles. The vehicles and aircraft of WWI are what interest me most. Its a shame Trophy never did the aircraft, as their trucks really look great alongside Heco Tinplate Models and Toy Army Workshop WWI vehicles, so I expect aircraft made by Trophy would look great next to Heco Tinplate and K&C wood WWI Aircraft.
Thanks Louis. I spoke to Len once about why he didn't make a Boer War train. He said the development costs and production costs were prohibitive. I expect the same is true of aircraft and tanks. But then there is the Boer War Steam Traction Engine which is very detailed! Maybe Len will give us an answer.

Thanks Louis. I spoke to Len once about why he didn't make a Boer War train. He said the development costs and production costs were prohibitive. I expect the same is true of aircraft and tanks. But then there is the Boer War Steam Traction Engine which is very detailed! Maybe Len will give us an answer.

I will have a word:wink2:

Just out of interest the Guards Toy Soldier Museum have one set of

EQ67 - SOMME BOMBARDMENT

No vehicles I'm afraid, I did ask

Cheers

Martyn:)

yes but some one made a train and put Trophy figures in it. I bought such a train off e bay three years ago. The figures are definitely Trophy. The train is sort of plywood. The guy who sold it to me said he bought it from a Trophy dealer in the 1980's. Any information would be appreciated.

yes but some one made a train and put Trophy figures in it. I bought such a train off e bay three years ago. The figures are definitely Trophy. The train is sort of plywood. The guy who sold it to me said he bought it from a Trophy dealer in the 1980's. Any information would be appreciated.

I have the same train - mine has a Trophy Young Winston Churchill figure as well as a crew of Trophy Boer War figures. Its on display on my 5 year old son Alec's mantle. I bought mine from my friend Jack Matthews, who believed it was Trophy, but I have since learned its not. There is a thread on the Trophy Forum, I think entitled "Trophy Trains?" where someone with knowledge identifies who actually made the train.

I have the same train - mine has a Trophy Young Winston Churchill figure as well as a crew of Trophy Boer War figures. Its on display on my 5 year old son Alec's mantle. I bought mine from my friend Jack Matthews, who believed it was Trophy, but I have since learned its not. There is a thread on the Trophy Forum, I think entitled "Trophy Trains?" where someone with knowledge identifies who actually made the train.

This Louis

http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/showthread.php?11331-Trophy-Trains&highlight=trophy+train

Hicks Attwell also made a Nile River Boat. Lawrence has one. Were these official Trophy collaborations. Did he get special figures commissioned or did he just put some appropriate Trophy figures in the boat or train.

Hicks Attwell also made a Nile River Boat. Lawrence has one. Were these official Trophy collaborations. Did he get special figures commissioned or did he just put some appropriate Trophy figures in the boat or train.

I don't know, Damian. The first time I saw one of these trains was at Mark Hoffman's office, and he thought it was Trophy. I know he bought his from Jim Hillestad of the Toy Soldier museum. If Len doesn't jump in and give us the answer, I can try to ask Jim if he knows.

I don't know, Damian. The first time I saw one of these trains was at Mark Hoffman's office, and he thought it was Trophy. I know he bought his from Jim Hillestad of the Toy Soldier museum. If Len doesn't jump in and give us the answer, I can try to ask Jim if he knows.
Louis: When I asked Len about the trains, he said he didn't make one but thought Jim Hillestad had someone make some.

Louis: When I asked Len about the trains, he said he didn't make one but thought Jim Hillestad had someone make some.

Well, there's your answer then. Jim, who was a major Trophy dealer here in the States, must have had Hicks Atwell make the Boer War trains and peopled them with Trophy Boer War crews.

Jim was the dealer who commissioned Len to make the small Nile River Gun Boats, and he has the first one made, signed by Len, in his museum.

attachment.php
gw40-ulhan standard bearer.

great looking figure, i have not seen that one before and here i thought i had all figures with piklehaubs, nice photo thanks

Well, there's your answer then. Jim, who was a major Trophy dealer here in the States, must have had Hicks Atwell make the Boer War trains and peopled them with Trophy Boer War crews.

Jim was the dealer who commissioned Len to make the small Nile River Gun Boats, and he has the first one made, signed by Len, in his museum.

Thanks for that. It sounds likely so that probably clears up the mystery.
Maybe some one could ask Jim when he has his next open day.

Damian,
Here is a photo of the Boat by Hicks Atwell. This was purchased from a collector who bought it from Jim. I know Jim sold a number of these boats in different configurations. What interests me are the figures - definitely Trophy as they have the mark, but the bases I have are in dark brown.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Damian,
Here is a photo of the Boat by Hicks Atwell. This was purchased from a collector who bought it from Jim. I know Jim sold a number of these boats in different configurations. What interests me are the figures - definitely Trophy as they have the mark, but the bases I have are in dark brown.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks Lawrence. The figures are definitely Trophy. They are the same generation as my Train figures. It would be great to hear Jim's story behind these boats and trains.

Superb boat Lawrence.:salute::

I have a few of those figures including the Naval Officer with drawn pistol who is in my set BS7, though my figure appears better fed than yours:tongue:

Cheers

Thanks Lawrence. The figures are definitely Trophy. They are the same generation as my Train figures. It would be great to hear Jim's story behind these boats and trains.

Well I actually asked Jim about Hicks Atwell's boats & trains before. He told me that he (HA) made just handful of them (app, 7 trains and 10 boats staffed with Trophy figures)... I assume that dark brown bases were repainted by him. His models does not mesh well with my Trophy collection. So I sold a Boer war train, a gunboat and a Arab dhow made by him...and I still have his Sudan war train I am gonna sell or trade soon. :)
Al

attachment.php
This an alternative to the lack of a Trophy WWI tank. I believe it was produced by Charles Biggs who did the Britains' WWI Premier Series by special commission. These are occasionally available on the secondary market and go very well with Trophy figures.

Damian,
attachment.php

attachment.php

Well I actually asked Jim about Hicks Atwell's boats & trains before. He told me that he (HA) made just handful of them (app, 7 trains and 10 boats staffed with Trophy figures)... I assume that dark brown bases were repainted by him. His models does not mesh well with my Trophy collection. So I sold a Boer war train, a gunboat and a Arab dhow made by him...and I still have his Sudan war train I am gonna sell or trade soon. :)
Al

Just spoken to Len Taylor this afternoon all figures were from stock and the bases were painted brown by Trophy

Cheers

Al

Could you post some pictures of the Sudan train

Users who are viewing this thread

Back