What else do you collect beside toy soldiers (4 Viewers)

Re: What else you collect,beside toy soldiers

Impressive Mike. I always admire your Indian artifact collection.

Here are some photographs of some of the random antiques and antiquities I collect:

The blades are all from First Temple Period Israel, the lamp is from Roman Judea, the lead thing on the right is an Israelite slinger's shot from the Maccabean war, and the pin behind it is Persian.

This is a sword pommel from Second Temple period Jerusalem. It is a lion representing the city of Jerusalem.

These are various ancient Jewish coins.

This is some Roman glass and broken Mamaluke bracelets.

These are some antique watches (two are turn of the century, one is 1780s).

Great stuff Sandor!

My only Israeli antiquities are coins from the Bar Kokhba revolt

Great stuff Sandor!

My only Israeli antiquities are coins from the Bar Kokhba revolt

Those are getting quite pricey nowadays, so good to hear you purchased them while they are still around.

My antiquities dealer is a fascinating man, and he has everything you can think of, for the right price. Some Israeli collectors refer to him as the only honest dealer in Israel, but he always says, "I am completely honest... up until one million dollars." Maybe next time I will spring for something big....

Came across some photos of a long sold Steiff Spanish American War era U.S. Infantryman, named "Sharkey", who came with his backpack full of accessories, including dried peas, and chewing tobacco:

Attachments

• Steiff American Soldier Sharkey 6.jpg
    Steiff American Soldier Sharkey 6.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 396
  • Steiff American Soldier Sharkey 5.jpg
    Steiff American Soldier Sharkey 5.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 342
  • Steiff American Soldier Sharkey 4.jpg
    Steiff American Soldier Sharkey 4.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 452

Picked up a slightly beat-up version of this Steiff Mexican Cowboy, made in 1913 (a couple of moth holes and missing its belt) off French ebay for a song. This is a photo from a book, I will post photos of mine shortly. Its not exactly one of the soldiers I collect, but I always loved playing Cowboys and Indians as a kid:

Attachments

• Steiff Mexican Cowboy.jpg
    Steiff Mexican Cowboy.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 398

Picked up a slightly beat-up version of this Steiff Mexican Cowboy, made in 1913 (a couple of moth holes and missing its belt) off French ebay for a song. This is a photo from a book, I will post photos of mine shortly. Its not exactly one of the soldiers I collect, but I always loved playing Cowboys and Indians as a kid:

Here's mine on display:

Attachments

• Steiff Mexican Cowboy 2.jpg
    Steiff Mexican Cowboy 2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 410

I am in the process of closing the deal on my first Steiff American Soldier, a U.S. Infantry Sergeant produced in 1909:

Attachments

• Steiff Soldier Doll 2.jpg
    Steiff Soldier Doll 2.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 437

Here's a photo from one of the Steiff reference books. I bought the U.S. Sergeant with the red frogging on his uniform:

Attachments

• Steiff Kelly U.S. Infantry Sergeant.jpg
    Steiff Kelly U.S. Infantry Sergeant.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 413

Here are some shots of the Steiff American Sergeant sitting on a model 1895 Tunic, with a period helmet cap and shako:

Attachments

• Steiff American Sergeant Kelly 1.jpg
    Steiff American Sergeant Kelly 1.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 327
  • Steiff American Sergeant Kelly 2.jpg
    Steiff American Sergeant Kelly 2.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 325
  • Steiff American Sergeant Kelly 3.jpg
    Steiff American Sergeant Kelly 3.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 343

Picked up another cool antique Steiff doll for the collection: Graf Zeppelin

Attachments

• Steiff Graf Zeppelin (3).jpg
    Steiff Graf Zeppelin (3).jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 317

I really hit the jackpot today collecting. First, my dogs get me up at 5:15 to go out, and I see an ebay alert on my cell phone, and do affordable buy-it-nows on three amazing Heco items (two of which I have been after for more than 17 years), then I find out I won an auction in Germany for these two amazing antique Steiff Soldiers, an Austrian Kaiserjager Lieutenant made between 1911 and 1913, and a British "Tommy" made between 1910 and 1915:

Attachments

• Steiff Kaiserjager Lieutenant.JPG
    Steiff Kaiserjager Lieutenant.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 278
  • Steiff British Tommy.JPG
    Steiff British Tommy.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 273

Some interesting soldiers from Steiff Louis,

Here are some of my military coins I received while in the service, they are Armor and Cavalry units I worked for over the time I was in. I have others but these are my favorites especially the one I got from the Chief of Armor Branch back when it was still a 2 star billet.

I collect other things as well but they mostly revolve around Armor and Cavalry.

Dave

armor and cav coins.JPG

Dave,

Very cool military coins. ^&cool^&cool I have a few that were given to me by friends or servicemen I did pro bono work for. Our late friend Larry Lo, who did so much for navy personnel over the years, especially during fleet week, had quite a collection of these coins, many framed and hung in his restaurant, Tse Yang.

Picked up a nice 19th Century Whale's Tooth with pointilist scrimshaw of two gentlemen and a lady in period dress:

Attachments

• Scrimshaw Gentleman Tooth 1.jpg
    Scrimshaw Gentleman Tooth 1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 249
  • Scrimshaw Gentleman Tooth 2.jpg
    Scrimshaw Gentleman Tooth 2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 244

That is really interesting Louis I enjoy seeing scrimshaw I really think it's interesting what the sailors would produce in their off time. Also glad you enjoyed seeing the coins.

Dave

Some of my slate gorget collection featuring gorgets from the Glacial Kame and Adena cultures in Ohio. Approximately 3000 - 1800 years before present (2000 B.C. - 200 A.D.). Top Row: Adena Tablet Gorgets and Glacial Kame Rectangular Gorgets. Middle Row: Adena and Glacial Kame Elliptical Gorgets and an Adena Quadra-Concave Gorget. Bottom Row: Adena Bi-Concave Gorgets also called "Bow Tie" Gorgets, and a salvaged elliptical gorget. For reference to size, the inside dimension of the frame is 22.5 inches x 10.5 inches.

:smile2: Mike

DSC_0004 (1280x628).jpg

I looked up gorget in the dictionary, which stated its a plate to protect the neck. Is this true? I didn't know Indians had such things. I recently went to DC and the Carnegie museum in Pittsburgh and was disappointed with their Indian collections. Not many arrow/spear heads etc. No gorgets. However, DC had some arrows, which was surprisingly short in length. Your collection seems much more extensive (arrowhead wise).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back