What else do you collect beside toy soldiers (2 Viewers)

Re: What else you collect,beside toy soldiers

Here is my newest addition:Bee Maya a.jpg

I looked up gorget in the dictionary, which stated its a plate to protect the neck. Is this true? I didn't know Indians had such things. I recently went to DC and the Carnegie museum in Pittsburgh and was disappointed with their Indian collections. Not many arrow/spear heads etc. No gorgets. However, DC had some arrows, which was surprisingly short in length. Your collection seems much more extensive (arrowhead wise).

The term 'gorget" has been applied to these two-holed slate artifacts because they reminded early archaeologists of the metal plate neck adornment that you refer to. However, the actual use of these artifacts is still open for debate. Quite often in grave contexts, these slate types have been found near the wrists, arms, and legs of the skeleton as if they might have been worn on their clothing. I have a nice collection of single-hole slate artifacts too, that are commonly called pendants because they look like they could have been suspended on a thread an worn around the neck. Their actual purpose and use is also open for debate. I have collected ancient artifacts from the Ohio River Valley for decades and have been a member of the Archaeological Society of Ohio and the Badger State Archaeological Society.

:smile2: Mike

Some of my slate gorget collection featuring gorgets from the Glacial Kame and Adena cultures in Ohio. Approximately 3000 - 1800 years before present (2000 B.C. - 200 A.D.). Top Row: Adena Tablet Gorgets and Glacial Kame Rectangular Gorgets. Middle Row: Adena and Glacial Kame Elliptical Gorgets and an Adena Quadra-Concave Gorget. Bottom Row: Adena Bi-Concave Gorgets also called "Bow Tie" Gorgets, and a salvaged elliptical gorget. For reference to size, the inside dimension of the frame is 22.5 inches x 10.5 inches.

Mike,

Those are very cool!^&cool^&cool I've never seen anything like them before, and thanks for the explanation.

Mike, can you share more of your artifact collection? I've seen some over the years, but I'm always fascinated when you post them.

Mike, can you share more of your artifact collection? I've seen some over the years, but I'm always fascinated when you post them.

Sure thing . . . . . Stay tuned . . . . .

Here is my frame of Slate Pendant artifacts. These are also primarily from the Adena Culture and are approximately between 2800 to 1800 years old (800 B.C. to 200 A.D.). They are all from Ohio and the Ohio River Valley area. The top row has trapezoid pendants, one bell-shaped pendant (2nd from left), rectangular pendants and one anchor pendant (middle). The bottom row has all key-hole pendants. Key-hole pendants are considered one of the key diagnostic traits of the Adena Culture. For size perspective the inside dimension of the frame is 22.5 inches by 10.5 inches and the large key hole pendant in the middle of the bottom row is 5 inches long.

DSC_0008 (1280x618).jpg

I collect the 1:6 scale soldiers....

Attachments

• IMG_4857.JPG
    IMG_4857.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 367

Here is a frame of early and late Adena Culture knives, spears, and projectile points from roughly 800 B.C. to 200 A.D. AS you can tell from previous pictures my main interest in collecting artifacts is with the Adena Culture that flourished in the states that bordered the Ohio River Valley. However, I also collect artifacts from other Ohio cultures as well. For size perspective the large late Adena point in the middle of the bottom row is just shy of 5 inches long and is 2.25 inches wide at its widest point.

DSC_0008 (1280x635).jpg

Thanks Mike. I never tire of seeing your collection.

I collect Robert Taylor and Nick Trudgian prints.......but have run out of space now. {sm2}

Over the weekend I picked up a 40th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain print issued in 1980, autographed by 10 famous RAF BOB pilots, including Douglas Bader. I will post some photos of it, and a Spanish American War U.S. Infantry Cap I purchased at the same antique mall.

Over the weekend I picked up a 40th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain print issued in 1980, autographed by 10 famous RAF BOB pilots, including Douglas Bader. I will post some photos of it, and a Spanish American War U.S. Infantry Cap I purchased at the same antique mall.

Here are some shots of the print and the cap:

Attachments

• Battle of Britain Commemorative Print 1.jpg
    Battle of Britain Commemorative Print 1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 383
  • Battle of Britain Commemorative Print 2.jpg
    Battle of Britain Commemorative Print 2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 337
  • Model 1895 Cap 1.jpg
    Model 1895 Cap 1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 296
  • Model 1895 Cap 2.jpg
    Model 1895 Cap 2.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 352

I just picked up a Spanish American War Era high ranking officer's sword belt and sword knot in the original box:

Attachments

• Spanish American War Sword Belt.jpg
    Spanish American War Sword Belt.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 344

I love Span Am stuff. Where do you get it?

Here are some shots of the print and the cap:

The print does have some good Battle Of Britain pilot signatures. However, the Battle of Britain Spitfires were Mk1, where as the spitfire in the print is a Mk1X with D-Day markings.

I think that Spitfire in the print may have a link to the Battle Of Britain film.

Just made another great addition to my Militaria collection. Ken Osen was kind enough to review photos of the item, which he authenticated as a Civil War or slightly post civil war NY Militia or Volunteer Officer's Kepi:

Attachments

• NY Officer's Kepi 4.jpg
    NY Officer's Kepi 4.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 331
  • NY Officer's Kepi 3.jpg
    NY Officer's Kepi 3.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 291
  • NY Officer's Kepi 2.jpg
    NY Officer's Kepi 2.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 293
  • NY Officer's Kepi 1.jpg
    NY Officer's Kepi 1.jpg