What else do you collect beside toy soldiers (4 Viewers)

The print does have some good Battle Of Britain pilot signatures. However, the Battle of Britain Spitfires were Mk1, where as the spitfire in the print is a Mk1X with D-Day markings.

I think that Spitfire in the print may have a link to the Battle Of Britain film.

David,

You are absolutely correct that it's the wrong Mark of Spitfire for the Battle of Britain, but the poster comes with a certificate indicating it is one of 100 issued to commemorate the Battle of Britain and identifying the signatures and their accomplishments. I guess whoever made the poster wasn't all that familiar with the correct Spitfire. I will take a photo of the certificate and post it.

Re: What else you collect,beside toy soldiers

Just made another great addition to my Militaria collection. Ken Osen was kind enough to review photos of the item, which he authenticated as a Civil War or slightly post civil war NY Militia or Volunteer Officer's Kepi:

The 22nd New York Volunteer Infantry only existed from 1861 through 1863, so, if the insignia is original this is a true Civil War Officer's Kepi!^&cool^&cool

David,

You are absolutely correct that it's the wrong Mark of Spitfire for the Battle of Britain, but the poster comes with a certificate indicating it is one of 100 issued to commemorate the Battle of Britain and identifying the signatures and their accomplishments. I guess whoever made the poster wasn't all that familiar with the correct Spitfire. I will take a photo of the certificate and post it.

Here are some photos of the certificate:

Attachments

• Battle of Britain Certificates 4.jpg
    Battle of Britain Certificates 4.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 304
  • Battle of Britain Certificates 3.jpg
    Battle of Britain Certificates 3.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 337
  • Battle of Britain Certificates 2.jpg
    Battle of Britain Certificates 2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 318
  • Battle of Britain Certificates 1.jpg
    Battle of Britain Certificates 1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 314

Here are some shots of the Steiff British Tommy, Austrian Kaiserjaeger Lieutenant and Graf Zeppelin in situ in the Aerodrome Room:

Attachments

• Steiff Austrian Kaiserjager Lieutenant 2.jpg
    Steiff Austrian Kaiserjager Lieutenant 2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 302
  • Steiff Tommy.jpg
    Steiff Tommy.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 317
  • Steiff Graf Zeppelin 4.jpg
    Steiff Graf Zeppelin 4.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 276

Here are some shots of the Steiff British Tommy, Austrian Kaiserjaeger Lieutenant and Graf Zeppelin in situ in the Aerodrome Room:

A few extra facts about The Spitfire featured in Louis' print...It is, I believe a Mk.IX version and is wearing the initials of its then owner 'ACS'...Adrian C. Swire, a senior member of the famous 'Swire Family' who have extensive business interests in Hong Kong including Property...Shipping...and airlines.
They are the major shareholders of Cathay Pacific, Hong Kong's own award-winning airline. Which my wife flew with for almost 20 years,first as a flight attendant and eventually as a 'Chief Purser'.

Swire also own 'Pacific Place',one of Hong Kong's premier shopping malls...and coincidentally where King & Country's flagship store is located.

Two of the rarer early K&C 'glossy' sets to find are the 2x sets of Cathay Pacific flight crew we produced in 1996 for CX to mark their 50th Anniversary of the founding of the company in 1946.

And now back to that Spitfire...Adrian Swire 'loaned' it out to the movie makers in 1968 to be one of 12 'flyable' Spits (of various marks) used in "The Battle of Britain". Obviously the film people removed the wing cannons and repainted the aircraft into '1940 colours and markings'. In the movie it appears as 'AIA', the mount of 'Skipper', the squadron leader played by actor Robert Shaw.

Hence, perhaps the possible link between the print and all those great signatures!
Best wishes...and happy collecting too! Andy.

The 22 NY Volunteer Kepi and the Spanish American War era General's Sword Belt and Sword Knot arrived today. The Kepi sits on my NY Volunteer Regiments display, along with a pre-civil war 79th NY Volunteer (Highland Guard) Belt Buckle and Ball Invitation, a batttle field dug 79th NY Cap Badge, a 39th NY (Garibaldi Guard) Shako Plate, a 9th NY Volunteers Shako plume, and Edmund's Toy Soldiers 5th NY Zouaves, 79th New York, 39th New York, and AWI NY Regiment figures. The Sword Belt and Knot are on my 79th New York presentation Sword, hanging with a WWII RAF Pilot Officer's Tunic with the medal ribbon for the distinguished flying medal. Here are some photos:

Attachments

• 22 NY Volunteer Kepi.jpg
    22 NY Volunteer Kepi.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 269
  • General's Sword Belt 3.jpg
    General's Sword Belt 3.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 282
  • General's Sword Belt 1.jpg
    General's Sword Belt 1.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

Again with the help of good friend Ken Osen, I obtained this U.S. General's Bicorn Hat (1871-1882):

Attachments

• General's Bicorn Hat.jpg
    General's Bicorn Hat.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 310

Again with the help of good friend Ken Osen, I obtained this U.S. General's Bicorn Hat (1871-1882):

Very cool! I can see Louis wearing it to court on special occasions! He will look quite dapper.

I picked up another Steiff Soldier Doll off of ebay. I had originally lost the auction, but the buyer backed out, the item was relisted, and I got the soldier (which from its blue tunic with red facings, black pants with red stripe, and the type of cap its wearing I believe to be a German Dragoon) for about half of what it originally sold for:

Attachments

• Steiff Dragoon 4.jpg
    Steiff Dragoon 4.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 255
  • Steiff Dragoon 2.jpg
    Steiff Dragoon 2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 291
  • Steiff Dragoon 3.jpg
    Steiff Dragoon 3.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 253
  • Steiff Dragoon 1.jpg
    Steiff Dragoon 1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:

Just acquired this Adena slate Trapezoidal Pendant this past week . . . . 4.5 inches long, approximately 2500 years old . . . .
:smile2: Mike

DSC_0022 (1280x747).jpg

Nice piece Mike. I never tire of your artifacts.

I picked up another Steiff Soldier Doll off of ebay. I had originally lost the auction, but the buyer backed out, the item was relisted, and I got the soldier (which from its blue tunic with red facings, black pants with red stripe, and the type of cap its wearing I believe to be a German Dragoon) for about half of what it originally sold for:

Ken Osen, having viewed the photos, tells me the soldier is actually an infantryman in a Waffenrock.

Ken Osen, having viewed the photos, tells me the soldier is actually an infantryman in a Waffenrock.

The soldier is wearing a dunkelblau (dark blue) Waffenrock Tunic and a Fieldmutze Cap.

Last edited:

The soldier is wearing a dunkelblau (dark blue) Waffenrock Tunic and a Fieldmutze Cap.

I started looking up Waffenrock Tunics and Fieldmutze Caps on line, and stumbled across a Militaria Dealer in Great Britain with this Fieldmutze Cap for sale for 85 British Pounds (about $109) and I couldn't resist (I will post photos of the Steiff Soldier and the Fieldmutze Cap on my WWI display once they both arrive):

Attachments

• German Fieldmutze Cap 1.jpg
    German Fieldmutze Cap 1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 305
  • German Fieldmutze Cap 2.jpg
    German Fieldmutze Cap 2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 233
  • German Fieldmutze Cap 3.jpg
    German Fieldmutze Cap 3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 284

IMG_0527[1].jpg

I collect 28mm which technically aren't toy soldiers. Sent some AZW 24th figures from Black Tree Designs to be painted by a pro as a tester to see if I liked the style of painting and he sent me a pic today of the finished items bar a little highlighting. I couldn't be happier and the price to paint each figure?......£6. Unbelievable value. Half the size of regular toy soldiers but cost ten times less than a First Legion equivalent!!! This isn't a dig at FL because I have their AZW figures too and enjoy them equally.

View attachment 218288

I collect 28mm which technically aren't toy soldiers. Sent some AZW 24th figures from Black Tree Designs to be painted by a pro as a tester to see if I liked the style of painting and he sent me a pic today of the finished items bar a little highlighting. I couldn't be happier and the price to paint each figure?......£6. Unbelievable value. Half the size of regular toy soldiers but cost ten times less than a First Legion equivalent!!! This isn't a dig at FL because I have their AZW figures too and enjoy them equally.

George (Warrior) has a large collection of 28mm figures and accessories. You should see the incredible dioramas he sets up in the smaller scale!^&cool^&cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back