What else do you collect beside toy soldiers (3 Viewers)

Re: What else you collect,beside toy soldiers

George (Warrior) has a large collection of 28mm figures and accessories. You should see the incredible dioramas he sets up in the smaller scale!^&cool^&cool

Are they posted on here somewhere?

I picked up another Steiff Soldier Doll off of ebay. I had originally lost the auction, but the buyer backed out, the item was relisted, and I got the soldier (which from its blue tunic with red facings, black pants with red stripe, and the type of cap its wearing I believe to be a German Dragoon) for about half of what it originally sold for:

Here he is in my son Alec's room:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 341
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 325
Here he is in my son Alec's room:

Picked up my 8th Steiff Soldier today, another German Infantryman in a Waffenfrock Tunic, but slightly different and in far better condition with all original buttons, belt, bayonet frog and bayonet:

Attachments

• Steiff 11 inch Doll in Waffenrock.jpg
    Steiff 11 inch Doll in Waffenrock.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 345
  • Steiff 11 inch Doll in Waffenrock 3.jpg
    Steiff 11 inch Doll in Waffenrock 3.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 310
  • Steiff 11 inch Doll in Waffenrock 4.jpg
    Steiff 11 inch Doll in Waffenrock 4.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 367
Picked up my 8th Steiff Soldier today, another German Infantryman in a Waffenfrock Tunic, but slightly different and in far better condition with all original buttons, belt, bayonet frog and bayonet:

Here are some shots of the portion of the Aerodrome Room where I keep my WWI Steiff Soldier Dolls, along with some close ups of my most recent Aquisition in situ (the non-soldier dolls are a Steiff Graf Zeppelin and two boys in Tyrolean outfits):

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 313
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 302
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 266
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 320

Just made a deal for 2 excellent additions to my Steiff Soldier collection: finally got a Steiff Dragoon and also a Steiff German university student with duelingz scars on his cheek, a popular affectation among upper class German students at the time. Photos to follow.

Just made a deal for 2 excellent additions to my Steiff Soldier collection: finally got a Steiff Dragoon and also a Steiff German university student with duelingz scars on his cheek, a popular affectation among upper class German students at the time. Photos to follow.
Here are some photos:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 349
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 340
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 328

Interesting student doll, a member of one of the student dueling societies that are depicted in the film "The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp", a 1945 British film starring Roger Livesey and Deborah Kerr. It is an entertaining film. -- Al

Here are some photos in situ:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 296
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 298
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 296
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 306
Just made another great addition to my Militaria collection. Ken Osen was kind enough to review photos of the item, which he authenticated as a Civil War or slightly post civil war NY Militia or Volunteer Officer's Kepi:

Picked up a New York Militia Cartridge Box, hoping Ken can tell me what time period it’s from:

Attachments

• 7534BD28-FDA6-4EC4-8D38-F1388320A571.jpeg
    7534BD28-FDA6-4EC4-8D38-F1388320A571.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 312
  • ABF8E4BA-D4FE-4C49-A728-EEBB56C97AB8.jpeg
    ABF8E4BA-D4FE-4C49-A728-EEBB56C97AB8.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 286
  • 9D553CB5-4D10-4DE1-9156-62F03F752842.jpeg
    9D553CB5-4D10-4DE1-9156-62F03F752842.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 271

While I don't doubt that Ken can tell from those photographs, it might help to take a picture of the inside. The type of cartridge block/straps can help a lot with dating.

I just made a deal with a local Civil War collector to purchase this New York Volunteer Chasseur Cap:

Attachments

• New York Volunteer Chasseur Cap.jpg
    New York Volunteer Chasseur Cap.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 301

Chess sets. Posted these on another thread a couple yrs ago but, here goes. This set was a gift from my wife about 35 yrs ago. Each piece is a specific fig from AWI, King George, Lord North, B Franklin, Betsy Ross, Tower of London, Independence Hall etc. Will post some other sets later. Chris
IMG_0813.JPG
IMG_0816.JPG
IMG_0817.JPG

Really cool chess set, Chris. Your wife has great taste.^&cool^&cool -- Al

Bought this set in the mid-70s from a shop outside RAF Mildenhall in East Anglia. Thought it rather clever as it depicts the Watergate figures. The Nixons, Sam Earvin, holding a gavel, and Martha Mitchell, Dean, Daniel Elsburg w Pentagon Papers is pawn, Watergate Hotel (not shown) and Whitehouse are the rooks, Agnew, Halderman, etc. Chris

IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0867.JPG

Here are some photos of my new New York Volunteer militaria items on display:

Attachments

• Civil War 22 New York Volunteer Kepi.jpg
    Civil War 22 New York Volunteer Kepi.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 247
  • Civil War New York Volunteer Display 1.jpg
    Civil War New York Volunteer Display 1.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 254
  • Civil War New York Volunteer Display 2.jpg
    Civil War New York Volunteer Display 2.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 244

I also collect excavated buttons, mostly First Empire Napoleonic, but also early US (from 1776 to 1815) and also early Spanish and French colonial examples (1600-1750). I purchase them excavated and clean and conserve them (I am a former metals conservator).

Below right is a collection of different varieties dating circa 1808-1814. They are Spanish patriotic buttons featuring deposed king Ferdinand VII. Napoleon forced his (and his father's) abdication in favor of his own brother, Joseph. In 1814, Ferdinand would again reclaim the thrown. He ruled until his death in 1833 having named his daughter, Isabella II, (setting aside Salic Law) queen regent of Spain. The series of Carlist Wars would result.

The photo on the left shows a partially cleaned/conserved example.

Cleaned midpoint - C - fig 5a-sm.jpg Group - C - fig 2-sm.jpg

I collect Tomica Limited Vintage and Tomica Limited Vintage Neo 1/64th die-cast cars which are very popular here in Asia.

Here’s some of my haul from a recent Tokyo trip and an example of the quality.

98EE4DC5-2E51-4525-A202-39AD6F0BDC42.jpegC7BD3617-E553-4DD8-A2C3-A9519AB83E45.jpeg

I picked up a circa 1820 pocket globe with the bottom portion of a shagreen box. Photos to follow shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back