What else do you collect beside toy soldiers (6 Viewers)

Re: What else you collect,beside toy soldiers

Here is the WWI Quartermaster Sergeant's Uniform I picked up when I found out my Grandfather was a WWI veteran on display with some other tunics, caps, etc.:

Attachments

• WWI Sergeant's Uniform 2.jpg
    WWI Sergeant's Uniform 2.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 353
  • WWI Sergeant's Uniform 5.jpg
    WWI Sergeant's Uniform 5.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 342
  • WWI Sergeant's Uniform 6.jpg
    WWI Sergeant's Uniform 6.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 305
  • WWI Sergeant's Uniform 4.jpg
    WWI Sergeant's Uniform 4.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 402

Still awaiting the arrival and repair of the Steiff Italian Bersaglieri, but here are 10 Steiff Soldiers in a patriotic Veteran's Day Display, 99 years to the day after the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th Month in 1918:

Attachments

• 10 Steiff Soldiers 5.jpg
    10 Steiff Soldiers 5.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 294
  • 10 Steiff Soldiers 3.jpg
    10 Steiff Soldiers 3.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 268
  • 10 Steiff Soldiers 2.jpg
    10 Steiff Soldiers 2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 300
  • 10 Steiff Soldiers 1.jpg
    10 Steiff Soldiers 1.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 317

Picked up something I have long coveted for my militaria collection: a real WWI Pickelhaube Helmet:

Attachments

• Pickelhaube 1.jpg
    Pickelhaube 1.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 293
  • Pickelhaube 2.jpg
    Pickelhaube 2.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 363
  • Pickelhaube 3.jpg
    Pickelhaube 3.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 286
  • Pickelhaube 4.jpg
    Pickelhaube 4.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 401

My latest Adena Culture artifact acquisition. A bell shaped pendant made out of red and black banded slate. Recovered in Ohio, county unknown. Approximately 2500 years old. Approximately 4-inches in length.

:smile2: Mike

426_5.jpg

The Steiff Bersaglieri arrived. While the felt is beat-up, the figure is one of the dolls with jointed knees, and the Steiff restorer I am using is not only going to completely repair the felt, he is going to recreate the Bersaglieri Hat and belt for the figure (I bought a real WWI Bersaglieri Hat to display with the figure once it is restored):

Attachments

• Steiff Bersaglieri Pre Repair 1.jpg
    Steiff Bersaglieri Pre Repair 1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 288
  • Steiff Bersaglieri Pre Repair 2.jpg
    Steiff Bersaglieri Pre Repair 2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 303

Here is a photo of the real period Bersaglieri Hat I bought to display the Steiff Bersaglieri with:

Attachments

• Bersaglieri Hat.jpg
    Bersaglieri Hat.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 293

Another nice artifact Mike. I'm curious, is that a metal ring in the pendant's hole?

Another nice artifact Mike. I'm curious, is that a metal ring in the pendant's hole?

Not a metal ring, just the ambient light playing tricks with the camera. The hole was drilled from both sides using probably a flint drill (common excepted thought) and sand grit. Because it was drilled from both sides, the hole has somewhat of an hour-glass shape to it. Nothing in the hole now except for what Mother Nature deposited in it.

Are there Indian mounds in your area? I'm always fascinated by stuff like that. We have the ancient Hawaiian culture here. Some of that stuff is downright spooky. Statues made with human hair and human or dog teeth. One time while bow hunting I found a big fishing sinker. I sat down for twenty minutes trying to decide whether to take it or not. I'm not real superstitious, but you never know, a spirit might visit you. Well, I left the stone there, but when I got home I decided to get the stone the next day. Went back and I couldn't find it.

Are there Indian mounds in your area? I'm always fascinated by stuff like that. We have the ancient Hawaiian culture here. Some of that stuff is downright spooky. Statues made with human hair and human or dog teeth. One time while bow hunting I found a big fishing sinker. I sat down for twenty minutes trying to decide whether to take it or not. I'm not real superstitious, but you never know, a spirit might visit you. Well, I left the stone there, but when I got home I decided to get the stone the next day. Went back and I couldn't find it.

Yes there are mounds here in south central Wisconsin where I live now, although I was born and raised in central Ohio. Most of the mounds here are effigy mounds that have been made in the shape of an animal. The burial mounds in Ohio can sometimes get very large. This link shows inages of typical Adena burial mounds: https://www.google.com/search?q=Ade...hVK_mMKHQNrBoIQ9QEIRzAE#imgrc=boRo6YZJT_vO3M: Serpent mound in Ohio is one of the most fascinating creations of Ohio pre-history.

Thanks Mike. Neat stuff with lots of information. Like I said before, I went to Washington DC this past summer and saw nothing like this. I can never understand people who don't like history. When they find a spear point in a mastodon skeleton, I'm in awe.

Here are a couple of shots of my WWI Pickelhaube Helmet and Bersaglieri Hat in situ:

Attachments

• Bersaglieri and Hat 2.jpg
    Bersaglieri and Hat 2.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 423
  • Pickelhaube in Situ 2.jpg
    Pickelhaube in Situ 2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 479
  • Pickelhaube in Situ 1.jpg
    Pickelhaube in Situ 1.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 415

My amazing wife bought me an antique malacca wood walking stick with a scrimshaw fist top. I will take and post some photos tomorrow.

My amazing wife bought me an antique malacca wood walking stick with a scrimshaw fist top. I will take and post some photos tomorrow.

Here it is:

Attachments

• Scrimshaw Cane 1.jpg
    Scrimshaw Cane 1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 324
  • Scrimshaw Cane 2.jpg
    Scrimshaw Cane 2.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 335
  • Scrimshaw Cane 3.jpg
    Scrimshaw Cane 3.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 333

Man is my wife spoiling me this holiday season! Last night she gave me an 1856 New Bedford Whaler called the St. Julian’s ship documents/Insurance Policy. I’ll take and post some photos later today.

Man is my wife spoiling me this holiday season! Last night she gave me an 1856 New Bedford Whaler called the St. Julian’s ship documents/Insurance Policy. I’ll take and post some photos later today.

Here are some photos of the 19th Century Ships Log and Ships Insurance Policy:

Attachments

• Ships Log 5.jpg
    Ships Log 5.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 282
  • Ships Log 4.jpg
    Ships Log 4.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 294
  • Ships Log 3.jpg
    Ships Log 3.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 306
  • Ships Log 2.jpg
    Ships Log 2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 356

I picked up three paintings on a whim. They all depict naval subjects but represent three different time periods and artistic styles. I will post pics soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back