What else do you collect beside toy soldiers (2 Viewers)

Re: What else you collect,beside toy soldiers

I got myself a cool little birthday present this evening: A 20 inch (the largest size, with jointed knees) German Infantryman wearing a dunkelblau Waffenfrock tunic wearing a pickelhaub:

Here is the giant Steiff German Infantryman in situ. Notice the smallest size German Infantryman in front of the building, he is literally half as small.

Attachments

• Big Steiff Soldier 3.jpg
    Big Steiff Soldier 3.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 301
  • Big Steiff Soldier 1.jpg
    Big Steiff Soldier 1.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 297
  • Big Steiff Soldier 2.jpg
    Big Steiff Soldier 2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 302

Here is the giant Steiff German Infantryman in situ. Notice the smallest size German Infantryman in front of the building, he is literally half as small.

Here are some size comparison photos:

Attachments

• Steiff Size Comparison 1.jpg
    Steiff Size Comparison 1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 275
  • Steiff Size Comparison 2.jpg
    Steiff Size Comparison 2.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 278

Louis, I'm very curious to see these Steiff figures in March. But for the life of me, I don't know where you find the room for anything more in your collection rooms.

Joe

Louis, I'm very curious to see these Steiff figures in March. But for the life of me, I don't know where you find the room for anything more in your collection rooms.

Joe

Very gingerly!{sm4} I move stuff around. I just rearranged the entire aerodrome room, which now is entirely occupied by dioramas and displays, and can no longer be entered (everything can be viewed from the doorway). I just place the Steiff Soldier Dolls (which vary from 1:8 scale through 1:4 scale) on existing displays, to kind of bridge the gap between 1:32 and 1:30 scale toy soldiers and the 1:1 scale real militaria.

Attachments

• Aerodrome Redux 1.jpg
    Aerodrome Redux 1.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 259
  • Aerodrome Redux 2.jpg
    Aerodrome Redux 2.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 255
  • Aerodrome Redux 3.jpg
    Aerodrome Redux 3.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 265
  • Aerodrome Redux 4.jpg
    Aerodrome Redux 4.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 254
  • Aerodrome Redux 5.jpg
    Aerodrome Redux 5.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 254

Very gingerly!{sm4} I move stuff around. I just rearranged the entire aerodrome room, which now is entirely occupied by dioramas and displays, and can no longer be entered (everything can be viewed from the doorway). I just place the Steiff Soldier Dolls (which vary from 1:8 scale through 1:4 scale) on existing displays, to kind of bridge the gap between 1:32 and 1:30 scale toy soldiers and the 1:1 scale real militaria.

After seeing the aerodrome update thread today, it occurred to me that the room was no longer available to enter. Soon or maybe now, you're going to have to create some kind of overhead dock crane system to allow you to manage the collection from above.

After seeing the aerodrome update thread today, it occurred to me that the room was no longer available to enter. Soon or maybe now, you're going to have to create some kind of overhead dock crane system to allow you to manage the collection from above.

No, I just take a step in, pick up the vehicle where I want to take my next step, then take a second step in, and repeat.{sm4} It gets a little hairy, once I nearly fell and thought I was going to destroy about $5,000 worth of K&C wooden warbirds . . . {sm2} Here's a few more shots of the redux of the room:

Attachments

• Aerodrome 3rd 1.jpg
    Aerodrome 3rd 1.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 253
  • Aerodrome 3rd 2.jpg
    Aerodrome 3rd 2.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 236
  • Aerodrome 3rd 3.jpg
    Aerodrome 3rd 3.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 258

No, I just take a step in, pick up the vehicle where I want to take my next step, then take a second step in, and repeat.{sm4} It gets a little hairy, once I nearly fell and thought I was going to destroy about $5,000 worth of K&C wooden warbirds . . . {sm2} Here's a few more shots of the redux of the room:

Whatever you do, don't sneeze in that room.{sm4}

Snagged this beat up Steiff WWI British or German Sailor doll dirt cheap on German ebay today. I'm sending him to the same Steiff restorer I sent the Bersaglieri doll to as soon as the Bersaglieri is finished and returned:

Attachments

• Steiff Sailor 5.jpg
    Steiff Sailor 5.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 236
  • Steiff Sailor 4.jpg
    Steiff Sailor 4.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 229

Kinda took a hankerin' to collecting every weapon,battle dress,helmet,web gear ,edged weapons,K&C ration,
canteen,mess gear,shoes,boots,socks,undershirts,raincoats,panchos,grenades,malted milk,cigarettes,foot powder,
corpsmen aid bags..stocked,gas mask,shaving gear,housewife sewing kits,soap containers,foot powder......as memory
serves..for all 20th century U.S. engagements (WW1-RVN capers). Whatever we humped, I got it..BAR & ChauChat yep
Heavier weapons.....no room ..no license. Got one hellava library covering our involvement in said campaigns as well.
Got some Jap. weapons-rifles,bayonets,knives,grenade,parasol,ammo belt and personal effects from that theater.

Toy soldiers are a bit of a side line compared to my military insignia collection which I started as a kid in the 70's. My focus is mainly airborne and special forces insignia and pre 1919 aviators brevets, but I also go on occasional tangents like WW2 USN Submarine War Patrol badges, pre 1945 commando daggers, Australian Vietnam war zippo lighters etc.

Strange thing is that my figure collection bears little relationship to the contents of my militaria collection... with the exception of my JJD WW1 Knights of the Skies aircraft I guess. Most of my toy soldiers revolve around K&C Streets of Old Hong Kong, Crimean War, plus various Aztec & Conquistador figures ... and whatever takes my fancy really.

jules
https://www.juleswings.wordpress.com
https://www.facebook.com/juleswings.militaria/

juleswings.jpg

If you asked Mrs Simmo what else I collect she’d say “toy soldier boxes”.

My son's home run baseballs {sm3}{sm3} We have 8 of the 40 he's rung up so far.

I picked these up yesterday during an artifact auction that featured a very old Ohio collection from an individual who hunted artifacts for well over 50 years. These are surface finds, found in fields newly plowed. They are both early/middle Adena culture points (2,800 - 2,100 BC), as identified by their long narrow blades, and their ovate-base and tapered stems. The first one pictured is made of a light gray Coshocton flint and is about 4-inches long. The second one is made out of Carter Cave flint and is about 4.25-inches long. Both points were found in western Ohio near the Indiana border. Although these points were found in western Ohio, interestingly, Coshocton flint is found only in eastern Ohio and Carter Cave flint is found only in Kentucky, evidence of a vast trade network that existed in Ohio in prehistoric times.

:smile2: Mike

1_3.jpg

19_3.jpg

Neat spear point Mike. If you don't mind saying, how much does something like that cost? I read in the newspaper a few days ago, that they a machine that could look through the jungle and located thousands of Mayan sites.

Neat spear point Mike. If you don't mind saying, how much does something like that cost? I read in the newspaper a few days ago, that they a machine that could look through the jungle and located thousands of Mayan sites.

The first point shown was lot #1 in the auction and I got it for $35 which is a really good price for an artifact like this. I think I lucked out becuase the auction was just starting. The second point shown was a little more expensive due to the lithic material it is made from. Because of its coloration, Carter Cave flint is very desirable to collect and this one cost me $140. Still not to bad considering size and age of the point. Both points are actually considered to be knife blades and not spear points. At this same auction, there were many artifacts that sold for hundreds of dollars and some in thousands.

Those prices are quite affordable, considering the artifact is a thousand years old or more. They must be relatively common, which would mean ancient peoples made and used a lot of them. Good find.

Those prices are quite affordable, considering the artifact is a thousand years old or more. They must be relatively common, which would mean ancient peoples made and used a lot of them. Good find.

Like most everything collectible, price is predicated on several things in the artifact world such as the type, age, condition, and lithic material, past/previous collections, provenance information, et al. Although not perfect, I collected these because of the known collection that they were previously in, the lithic material, and the fact that I really like Adena culture items. Note that both blades have heavy use wear and ancient blunt force damage to their tips. If they had been in perfect condition I would have paid far more for each one. For example, the second point made of Carter Cave flint would have brought $400 + at the auction if the tip was intact and in very good condition. Consider a fluted Clovis point (10,000 - 12,000 BC), in very good condition, 2-4 inches long can easily bring $2,000 to $3,000 at auction. Suffice it to say, I do not have a Clovis point in my collection. As far as availability, the ancient people in Ohio were making stone tools for over 12,000 years before we started collecting them so you can imagine how many were made and how many are yet to be discovered.

Picked up a cool WWI or slightly pre-WWI Dutch Kepi:

Attachments

• Dutch WWI Kepi.jpg
    Dutch WWI Kepi.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 234
Very handsome cover Louis; where did you find that? And would you mind me borrowing your checkbook for a few weeks?{eek3}^&grin{sm2}

Picked up a nice WWI or slightly pre-WWI Austrian Shako:

Attachments

• Austrian Shako 1.jpg
    Austrian Shako 1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 209
  • Austrian Shako 2.jpg
    Austrian Shako 2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 215

Users who are viewing this thread

Back