What else do you collect beside toy soldiers (4 Viewers)

Re: What else you collect,beside toy soldiers

Here are my two Steiff German Infantrymen:

Attachments

• Steiff German Infantryman 1.jpg
    Steiff German Infantryman 1.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 412

Collected a series of hand painted wooden butterflies by a retired state trooper. Detail and accuracy is impressive. Would like to acquire more but he is off the map, ill health or worse I fear. Sorry for the glare. Chris

Collected a series of hand painted wooden butterflies by a retired state trooper. Detail and accuracy is impressive. Would like to acquire more but he is off the map, ill health or worse I fear. Sorry for the glare. Chris

Remarkable work. Nice collection of art. Hope your trooper is ok. -- Al

And here's a shot of a Steiff Policeman on display with my K&C World of Dicken's diorama:

I'm more intrigued by the pith helmet next to it. I have a strange love of military sun hats, and that is a fine example of one.

I'm more intrigued by the pith helmet next to it. I have a strange love of military sun hats, and that is a fine example of one.

Yes, that one is one of my favorite pieces of military headgear in my collection. It is a pre-WWI British Naval Officer's Solar Toppee, in the original tin case. If I remember when I get home, I will post the officer's name and the manufacturer/seller's name (both are stenciled on the tin case).

I have a lead on obtaining another antique Steiff soldier. If it pans out I will post some photos here.:wink2:

I found these photos of a Steiff WWI U.S. "Doughboy" soldier (alas long sold), made by Steiff in 1918-1919 for sale to the occupation forces:

Attachments

• Steiff WWI Doughboy.jpg
    Steiff WWI Doughboy.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 322

Here are a few more photos of Steiff Soldier Dolls I found on the internet, from old auctions, etc. An Italian Bersaglieri, a British WWI Tommy, a German Sailor and a pre-WWI German Soldier:

Attachments

• Steiff Bersaglieri.jpg
    Steiff Bersaglieri.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 197
  • Steiff Sailor Doll 2.jpg
    Steiff Sailor Doll 2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 203
  • Steiff Soldier Doll from German Auction.jpg
    Steiff Soldier Doll from German Auction.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 219
  • Steiff Soldier Doll 3.jpg
    Steiff Soldier Doll 3.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 199

Here are a few more Steiff Doldier Dolls, A Turkish Infantryman, a WWI British Officer, a group of French and German soldiers from an auction, and an Egyptian Infantryman:

Attachments

• Steiff Turkish Soldier.jpg
    Steiff Turkish Soldier.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 209
  • Steiff British Officer (5).jpg
    Steiff British Officer (5).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 242
  • Steiff French & German Soldiers.jpg
    Steiff French & German Soldiers.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 214
  • Steiff Egyptian Infantryman.jpg
    Steiff Egyptian Infantryman.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 201

And here is a really cool Steiff 1914 French Infantryman:

Attachments

• Steiff French Infantryman.jpg
    Steiff French Infantryman.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 213

Here's a photo of the name stenciled onto the tin case for the solar toppee, I am not sure it its the name of the manufacturer or the officer who owned it:

Attachments

• Trophy Stretcher Team 4.jpg
    Trophy Stretcher Team 4.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 208

MARX PRESIDENTS

John from Texas

Well, I was a bit depressed about being sniped on yet another Honour Bound Sturmtiger, and was just kicking around on line, when low and behold, I stumbled across the best Steiff Soldier Doll I've been able to buy to date, with an affordable buy-it-now. I think it is a British Officer. I love the suspenders, and the hobnailed boots. The doll originally had some sort of helmet or hat, probably a pith helmet, which was obviously lost over the years. Still, I couldn't be happier. As soon as I get a shipping total, it will be winging it way to make me feel a whole lot better!^&grin I will try to upload some photos from the auction.

Attachments

• Steiff Soldier Doll wearing suspenders 1 (2).jpg
    Steiff Soldier Doll wearing suspenders 1 (2).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 292
  • Steiff Soldier Doll wearing suspenders 2 (2).jpg
    Steiff Soldier Doll wearing suspenders 2 (2).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:

Sometimes you just get lucky: A Steiff German infantryman in full kit made in 1915, in just about mint condition:

Attachments

• Steiff German Infantryman with kit.jpg
    Steiff German Infantryman with kit.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 224

Very nice Louis, do you have a catalogue or list of what figures they made over the years?

Here are some of the pieces in one of my other collections. At some point, I'll try to take some individual pictures to share

IMG_0554-XL.jpg

Are some of those pieces in your cabinet whaling mementos?

Pretty sure that's scrimshaw. Man that looks awesome, bravo

It's all whaling and all pre ban. It's become a pretty difficult hobby. AND just to be clear...I am 100% on board with the ban on whaling, etc. All of these pieces are legal. Since the laws have changed and you don't know where stuff is coming from, I've turned to getting some of my old teeth scrimshawed through commissions rather than buying actual new pieces.
To get some pieces validated now, can costs upwards of $2,000 for certification!!!! Just not worth running afoul of the law, nor is it worth the cost.

Didn't mean to suggest or imply they weren't legal. In fact, it never entered my mind. I assumed they were antique. Where did you get them. Nantucket? I've always found whaling fascinating and one of these days I will tackle Moby Dick.

Nope, I didn't take it that you were implying that...

Most of the stuff came from auctions in MA (Nantucket and the Cape) and Maine. I grew up (21yrs) in New Bedford, MA which was essentially the whaling capitol of the world in the 1800s, so I was surrounded by whaling and its history. Really fascinating stuff. My father loved it from before I was born and since he's died I've been trying to keep it up - but it's getting harder and harder.
I recently commissioned a Moby Dick piece - I'll take a picture for you and maybe that will get you up for reading it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back