What else do you collect beside toy soldiers (4 Viewers)

Re: What else you collect,beside toy soldiers

Have plenty of wine, both my sons are in the trade, unfortunately my collection decreases daily.^&grin,
Robin.

Have plenty of wine, both my sons are in the trade, unfortunately my collection decreases daily.^&grin,
Robin.

Not to worry Robin, you have one of the worlds best wine growing regions just down the road..:p

Tom

Will do Sammy. If I come across something related to the 55th VA I will send you an email. Did you think about putting an ad in Military Images. They are pretty cheap and a lot of Civil War collectors read it. I have been tempted to run an add. The only bad thing is that if people know you are looking for it. They might charge you more. But worth a try.

Hi Brad, if you even spot anything on the 55th Essex Company please let me know, thanks...Sammy

I have also been collecting 19th Century Mariner's Scrimshaw and 19th and 20th Century Inuit Scrimshaw. Here are a few of my more recent acquisitions:

Attachments

• Scrimshaw 3.jpg
    Scrimshaw 3.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 198
  • Scrimshaw 2.jpg
    Scrimshaw 2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 194
  • Scrimshaw 1.jpg
    Scrimshaw 1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 190
  • Scrimshaw 4.jpg
    Scrimshaw 4.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 212

A few more . . .

Attachments

• Scrimshaw 5.jpg
    Scrimshaw 5.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 191
  • Scrimshaw 6.jpg
    Scrimshaw 6.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 198

Wow Louis, you collect all kinds. I know that scrimshaw ain't cheap. I know you collect older TS, but do you still buy the new stuff too?

Once in a while I'll buy a new production toy soldier item, but for the most part I buy older K&C, Heco Tinplate Models, CJB Models or Trophy of Wales items for my toy soldier collection.

In addition to toy soldiers, millitaria and scrimshaw, I also collect antique terrestrial and celestial globes, my favorites being from 6 inches in diameter down to pocket globes, along with antique globe-related items like armillary spheres and telleriums.

If anyone is interested, I can post photos of my antique globes and the remainder of my scrimshaw collection as well.

Once in a while I'll buy a new production toy soldier item, but for the most part I buy older K&C, Heco Tinplate Models, CJB Models or Trophy of Wales items for my toy soldier collection.

In addition to toy soldiers, millitaria and scrimshaw, I also collect antique terrestrial and celestial globes, my favorites being from 6 inches in diameter down to pocket globes, along with antique globe-related items like armillary spheres and telleriums.

If anyone is interested, I can post photos of my antique globes and the remainder of my scrimshaw collection as well.

Would dearly love to have a look, Louis!

-Moe

I will get some photos posted today, Moe.

Here are some photos of my favorite globe: a Klinger Pocket Globe made circa 1840.

Attachments

• Pocket Globe 1.jpg
    Pocket Globe 1.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 202
  • Pocket Globe 3.jpg
    Pocket Globe 3.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 196
  • Pocket Globe 2.jpg
    Pocket Globe 2.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 250
  • Pocket Globe 4.jpg
    Pocket Globe 4.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 216

Here are some other globes and armillary spheres, including a large Betts Patent Umbrella Travel Globe, a globe travel inkwell and several globes 2-3 inches in diameter, the earliest of which is a french globe on a black stone stand made circa 1820:

Attachments

• Globes 1.jpg
    Globes 1.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 251
  • Globes 5.jpg
    Globes 5.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 257
  • Globes 6.jpg
    Globes 6.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 289

Some Telleriums, including a Gillman Joslin made in Boston in 1861:

Attachments

• Globes 2.jpg
    Globes 2.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 270
  • Globes 4.jpg
    Globes 4.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 265

Here are some more scrimshaw pieces, including a 19th Century whalebone gavel and a Victorian Page Turner:

Attachments

• Scrimshaw 10.jpg
    Scrimshaw 10.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 309
  • Scrimshaw 9.jpg
    Scrimshaw 9.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 268
  • Scrimshaw 8.jpg
    Scrimshaw 8.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 255
  • Scrimshaw 11.jpg
    Scrimshaw 11.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 307

Very neat. You have a lot of things of interest to share. I'm so glad you learned to post pictures in the past few years.

Here's one more piece of Scrimshaw in my collection I forgot to post a photo of:

Attachments

• Scrimshaw 12.jpg
    Scrimshaw 12.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 310

Finally got around to take a few pictures of some pieces in my 7th OVI collection. My collection room is still under construction, I will try to take a few of the glassware tomorrow. I am always looking for 7th Ohio relics, only ACW stuff I collect anymore. Chris

CDV of Mervin Clark, taken by Ryder at his studio in Cleveland, Mervin or "Clarkey" as he was called by some of the regiment, entered the service April 22nd, 1861, for 3 months; June 20thth, 1861, for 3 years; appointed Sergeant April 22nd, 1861; appointed 1st Sergeant June 20thth, 1861; promoted to 2nd Lieutenant Feb. 20thth, 1862; promoted to 1st Lieutenant July 21st, 1862; promoted to Captain Sept. 1st, 1862; mustered out with Company July 6th, 1864. He served in every engagement that the 7th Ohio participated. After he mustered out he reentered the service Nov. 12th, 1864, as private in the Regular Army; immediately appointed Lieutenant Colonel of the 183rd Regiment O. V. I. on Nov. 30th, 1864 his regiment became engaged in the terrible battle of Franklin, Tenn. The color bearer, having been shot down, seized the colors, called to his men, "who will follow me to take those works?" rushed forward, scaled the parapet of the works and fell dead. Every effort was made to carry his body from the field, bit it was impossible, and the boy officer (22 years old when killed) was wrapped in his blanket and buried on the field of his fame. His body was later removed to Cleveland, Ohio and rests in the Woodland Cemetery. Known engagements: Cross Lanes, W. Va.; Winchester, Va., Cedar Mt., Va., Chancellorsville, Va., Gettysburg, Pa., Wauhatchie, Tenn., Lookout Mt., Tenn., Missionary Ridge, Tenn., Ringgold, Ga., Tunnel Hill/Buzzards Roost, Ga., Dug Gap, Ga., Resaca, Ga., Cassville, Ga., Dallas, Ga., New Hope Church, Ga., Pumpkin Vine Creek, Ga. (Wilson)

7th OVI CDV Ebay MM 10 20 2008 v1.jpg

12th Corps Badge of a member of the 7th Ohio. This is a mini version measuring about an inch across, made out of silver and worn by a member prior to the 20th Corps designation. One of the Germans in K Company was an accomplished jeweler who made a number of Corps badges and other medals for member of the 7th. Great field condition, inscription "7 th OVI" with T back pin.

7th OVI Corps Badge 07 23 2010.jpg

One of the letters of the Edward Day collection who was a private in G Company and mortally wounded at Cedar Mountain. Letter is actually written by a sergeant in G Company to Edward Day's father and describes the battle of Antietam as well as the fact that he has the bullet that killed Edward in his possession and will send it to him at his earliest opportunity Edward Day, entered the service June 5th, 1861 for 3 years; mortally wounded in the arm and lung during the Battle of Cedar Mountain, Va., Aug, 9th, 1862; died of wounds Aug. 18th, 1862..

7th OVI Letter Hume Antietam 10 02 2009.jpg

Last are the field eating utensils belonging to Eramus B. Tyler, first Colonel of the 7th Ohio, part of his military career, on the 10th of December Colonel Tyler was ordered to Romney, where he united his forces with those under General Lander, and was assigned to the command of the Third Brigade of Lander's Division. At the death of General Lander he joined General Shields in the Shenandoah Valley. He participated in the battle of Winchester, and, for bravery upon that occasion, he was appointed a Brigadier-General of Volunteers on May 14,1862. He was also engaged at Front Royal and Port Republic. In the latter engagement General Tyler with three thousand troops resisted Stonewall Jackson with eight thousand for five hours, when Jackson received a re-enforcement of six thousand men. General Tyler however, retired in good order.

Attachments

• Col EB Tyler Eating Utensil 07 16 2010 v2.jpg
    Col EB Tyler Eating Utensil 07 16 2010 v2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 306
  • Col EB Tyler Eating Utnesil 07 16 2010 v3.jpg
    Col EB Tyler Eating Utnesil 07 16 2010 v3.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 326

Been playing and collecting these since 1975. Any of you ever heard of Strat O Matic Baseball?

It's has been computerized as well.

Carlos

STRAT-O-MATIC_COMPUTERIZED_BASEBALL_GAME_AMERICAN_NATIONAL_MAJOR_LEAGUE_TEAMS_BOX.JPG
Willie Mays.jpg

wine
scrimshaw
putter head covers and
Israeli stamps mainly...
(random paintings and books too when I see something I like)

I'll post some pictures when i get home

Well, here are some pictures of my glass collection. I have a few areas of focus, American Brilliant cut glass, Carnival Glass, Cobalt Blue Glass and Vaseline Glass with a few pieces of Victorian Art Glass thrown in. My favorite is the cut glass. Almost all of this glassware came from estate sales, thrift stores and garage sales. These pictures are of the last few shelves that need to be packed to finish clearing out the "Antique Glass Room" so it can be finished and everything moved into it. Not much light in the room right now, took the pictures without a flash to protect the glass. They are crammed and not displayed very well but you get the idea. Unfortunately, my best pieces are already packed and sitting in the garage. All of the carnival glass is already packed away.

Cut glass shelf, makers include Clark, Hawkes, Libby, etc. very shiny...

IMG_2666[1].jpg

Art glass, makers include Tiffany, Murano, Mt Washington, Kalik, Northwood, etc., a lot of colors...

IMG_2667[1].jpg

Cobalt Blue, includes Newport, Murano, Blenko, Mary Gregory, etc. a very deep blue in more practical forms...

IMG_2668[1].jpg

Last is Canary Aka Vaseline Glass, includes Northwood, Fenton, Duncan, etc. originally made with uranium salts and will still glow green when exposed to a black light almost 100 years later, yellow and green with Grandpa's magic flashlight...

IMG_2671[1].jpgIMG_2672[1].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back