What else do you collect beside toy soldiers (2 Viewers)

Re: What else you collect,beside toy soldiers

A museum that was being decommissioned in Missouri had a big sale, and I was able to purchase three tunics and a couple of pairs of uniform trousers. I will post some photos upon receipt.

My 79th Highland Guard Sword arrived today. Here are some shots of it, including closeups of the name of the NCO the sword was presented to, John S. MacGillivray, Jr., and the "Highland Guard, NYCG" engraved on the blade:

That's a beautiful sword Louis. Very cool you are collecting artifacts specific to two regiments. I've always been interested in the ACW, got that from my social studies teacher father. My prized possession is a letter on Army of the Potomac stationary, dated Jan 7th, 1862, listing the posting of various batteries and signed by then Maj Alexander Webb. Later commanded the Pennsylvania brigade at the angle at Gettysburg. Chris

Chris,

What a fantastic piece of history! Thank you for posting photos of it. While I am focusing on the 79th NY and the 39th NY, I am trying to learn as much as I can about the entire conflict. I have been greatly inspired by the knowledge of members of this forum such as Rob Jones (UKReb), Ken Osen and Tim Tyler.

That's a beautiful sword Louis. Very cool you are collecting artifacts specific to two regiments. I've always been interested in the ACW, got that from my social studies teacher father. My prized possession is a letter on Army of the Potomac stationary, dated Jan 7th, 1862, listing the posting of various batteries and signed by then Maj Alexander Webb. Later commanded the Pennsylvania brigade at the angle at Gettysburg. Chris

Very cool piece, Chris. I see that some of the batteries were based in Poolesville, just about 15 minutes up the road from me in western Montgomery County, Md, where my sister currently resides. -- Al

Chris, very nice piece and especially signed by Webb. I can understand why it is one of your prized pieces. Chris

I also collect North American Indian artifacts, primarily Early Woodland Period (500 BC - 300 AD) Adena Culture artifacts from the Ohio River Valley, and Mississippian Period (900 AD - 1600 AD) Fort Ancient artifacts also from the Ohio River Valley.
:smile2: Mike

Very cool, Mike! Native American artifacts have always interested me.

The better question might be what have I not collected: over time - coins, Nazi German stamps, world currency (especially German), sports figurines (close to a thousand - would love to get rid of most of them now), sports memorabilia, books, etc, etc, etc. I bet most of you can understand. Once a collector, always a collector. Toy soldiers have been my longest running interest, now at 16 years and going strong. Until a few years ago, I put together a small but decent American Civil War collection, with buckles, buttons, cartridge boxes, a sword, and a number of other items. My favorites might be a group of various artifacts from Gettysburg belonging to a life-long local resident and relic collector. Most of the items had information about where they were found - many battlefield pickups. I even bought a video showing a biography of the collector and showing his collection. I mostly collect only toy soldiers now to have more money for travel and photography, but I will pick up something now and again.

I collect Mainly Pa Civil war letters and other civil war paper items Have a few cool groupings. I just picked up a small grouping of letters related to W Hexamer. (Hexamer's battery). Really enjoy battlefield tramping trying to follow in their footsteps and find their grave.

If anyone wants me keep an eye out for a certain regiment. Let me know and I will keep my eyes open.

Comics

I collect Mainly Pa Civil war letters and other civil war paper items Have a few cool groupings. I just picked up a small grouping of letters related to W Hexamer. (Hexamer's battery). Really enjoy battlefield tramping trying to follow in their footsteps and find their grave.

If anyone wants me keep an eye out for a certain regiment. Let me know and I will keep my eyes open.

If you come across any 39th New York (Garibaldi Guard) or 79th New York (Highland Guard) items, please let me know.

Thanks,

Louis

Books. I've found that in many instances is it just as easy to get a signed copy by the author as it is to get one that is not. There are a couple of books stores - like Politics and Prose in DC - that regularly have just about anyone who writes a new political or historical book. And you can usually order them online. I also used to attend a lot of book signings but that sometimes involves a lot of standing in line. I shook hands with Bill Clinton, Mikhail Gorbachev, Stephen King, Patrick O'Brian, Don Knotts (how is that for variety) and many others over the years at book signings. In a way collecting handshakes as well.

Hi Brad, if you even spot anything on the 55th Essex Company please let me know, thanks...Sammy

Will do Louis. If I come across anything I will send you an email.

If you come across any 39th New York (Garibaldi Guard) or 79th New York (Highland Guard) items, please let me know.

Thanks,

Louis

I still have mine from the 60's. Just can't bring myself to part with them. I also have some current ones. The comic covers today have such great artwork.

Walt

I have floating around......
Dino riders
Steel Monsters
Bucky Ohare
Smurfs
1000 plastic characters
Papo figures
Exo-Squad

Just keeping them for old time sake.

Robin.

Ps 200 German WW11 photo books and over 1000 dvd's.

I have floating around......
Dino riders
Steel Monsters
Bucky Ohare
Smurfs
1000 plastic characters
Papo figures
Exo-Squad

Just keeping them for old time sake.

Robin.

Ps 200 German WW11 photo books and over 1000 dvd's.

I knew you would have a few monsters lurking around that man cave of yours Robin..^&grin

Tom

Louis,
My god man,how big of a house do you have?
Mark

I also collect:

Fine wine and French brandy (currently 300 bottles)
Old Maps
Anything Napoleonic including Prints and Maps
French and Belgium comic books
Cuban cigars...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back