Why do we love and hate K&C. (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I collect toy soldiers.
That is why I am not so obsessed with 100% accuracy.
The original Britains figures were definitley toy soldiers.
However I agree that the distinction has been blurred.
K and C lead the way with this with their venture into matt back in the day.
Since then the stakes have been upped all the time.
I suppose those St Petersburg models at 2000 GBP for a Carthaginian elephant are truly militray miniatures but at that price I think you are entitled to demand 100 % accuracy.
However as K and C, Figart i, WB and now FL have released newer sets so the accuracy issue has become more importnat.
I also think a lot of modellers have now started collecting toy soldiers and they are well known for being pretty demanding about accuracy.
Anyway I love all the toy soldiers in my collecction, K and C, WB, Trophy, Little Legion Conte.

Those St Petersburg toy soldiers are so expensive and beautiful we overlook the simplest fact about them: They are NOT historically accurate.

I'm talking about the Babarians and Vikings, not the rest of their line, their painting is gorgeous, but fanciful! Take the Vikings, for instance, they would never paint their shields with such intricate designs as we see in St Petersburg's line. As a matter of fact, most Viking shields were crude things, designed to break after a few blows, thus leaving the foe's weapon stuck on its wooden rim. It made no sense to make such a display of workmanship on something one knew would be broken in minutes!
:confused:

The clothing is also too beautiful to be accurate, it's as if every Barbarian and Viking they make dresses like a king, or, even worst, the Bizantine Emperor! That makes no sense if you ask me.
:confused:

Now, I must agree they paint bodies and faces like no other company or artist! Amazing detail and precision.
:cool:

I repeat: I can't say anything about their other ranges, but the Barbarians and Vikings are clearly exagerated.

Cheers...

Uthred

That's the difference between toys and collectibles Uthred. When we were kids we tossed them around, when we became adults with money to spend on them, we treated them more carefully.

That's the difference between toys and collectibles Uthred. When we were kids we tossed them around, when we became adults with money to spend on them, we treated them more carefully.

It's the same toy, however, only an older fellow holding it!
:D:D:D

Collectible is just a spin word to increase the price of something old, produced decades ago...
;)

Cheers...

Uthred

It's the same toy, however, only an older fellow holding it!
:D:D:D

Collectible is just a spin word to increase the price of something old, produced decades ago...
;)

Cheers...

Uthred

They are "Collectible Toy Soldiers"

I don't agree, Brad. People who collect toys, even those toys that were meant for children, would never throw them around!
:eek:

Children throw their toys around, adult collectors never would do such a thing.
:D

Cheers...

Uthred

You would be quite suprised. I have over the years purchased many valuable
Dinky Toys, Hess Trucks, and other items carelessly tossed in boxes from many a dealer that should no better.

There is no rhyme or reason for how some people handle their items. Quite a few years ago I serviced a classic Lionel Standard Gauge Engine worth many thousands of dollars. I advised the owner to display the item in a case, or a safe place where the temperature was controlled. He had the original box which was missing one end. I told him to be careful with that box, I also advised him of the exact value of the piece. One day several months later he called and told me he had picked up the engine by the wrong end of the box and it had sailed out and hit the floor breaking the chasis among other parts.
When I inspected the damage, I informed him that the repair would exceed one thousand dollars and would take quite some time as it would be difficult to locate the chasis and parts required.

You just never know how some "Collectors" handle their possesions.:eek:

You would be quite suprised. I have over the years purchased many valuable
Dinky Toys, Hess Trucks, and other items carelessly tossed in boxes from many a dealer that should no better.

There is no rhyme or reason for how some people handle their items. Quite a few years ago I serviced a classic Lionel Standard Gauge Engine worth many thousands of dollars. I advised the owner to display the item in a case, or a safe place where the temperature was controlled. He had the original box which was missing one end. I told him to be careful with that box, I also advised him of the exact value of the piece. One day several months later he called and told me he had picked up the engine by the wrong end of the box and it had sailed out and hit the floor breaking the chasis among other parts.
When I inspected the damage, I informed him that the repair would exceed one thousand dollars and would take quite some time as it would be difficult to locate the chasis and parts required.

You just never know how some "Collectors" handle their possesions.:eek:

Well, he didn't do it on purpose, did he?

Children, on the other hand, do.
;)

Cheers...

Uthred

Well, he didn't do it on purpose, did he?

Children, on the other hand, do.
;)

Cheers...

Uthred

Children are innocent and it is our job to teach them to act responsibly.

In my opinion he was completely responsible for destroying a valuable item

that had managed to survive in beautiful condition for nearly 70 years. As an

adult, once we are advised of the value of an item we should take reasonable

care of it for the next generation.

Because of my association with Lionel Trains I consider myself simply the

custodian of the items I collect. With a little care they should all easily out

live me. I would hope other collectors in the future would enjoy them as I

have, and treat them with respect.:)

Children are innocent and it is our job to teach them to act responsibly.

In my opinion he was completely responsible for destroying a valuable item

that had managed to survive in beautiful condition for nearly 70 years. As an

adult, once we are advised of the value of an item we should take reasonable

care of it for the next generation.

Because of my association with Lionel Trains I consider myself simply the

custodian of the items I collect. With a little care they should all easily out

live me. I would hope other collectors in the future would enjoy them as I

have, and treat them with respect.:)

Sure he was responsible. But it was an accident, and accidents happen all the time. If they didn't the insurance companies would be out of business.

Collectors in general should take good care of their collections. The toys we broke as children are worth much more these days, and they are so expensive because we didn't take good care of them as children! Now they are rare, they have become collectibles...
:D:rolleyes:;)

Cheers...

Uthred

Sorry I just don't agree. I would hardly call what happened an accident. The item was destroyed through pure carelessness and that is certainly no accident.

If the item had been put in a showcase and a tree fell on the house and destroyed the showcase that would be an accident.

I warned this fellow about excessive handling of the item, and the open ended box in particular.

Now I understand it was his item, my concern is through carelessness there is now one less of these Original Classic Engines left. When I serviced this piece I handled it with the utmost care and it was a very impressive piece when I left it sitting on his kitchen table.

When I returned it looked like these things are usually found a busted up pile of garbage.

Mishandling a 3 to 5 thousand dollar item is no accident, not when you have been advised to exercise caution.:eek:

Sorry I just don't agree. I would hardly call what happened an accident. The item was destroyed through pure carelessness and that is certainly no accident.

If the item had been put in a showcase and a tree fell on the house and destroyed the showcase that would be an accident.

I warned this fellow about excessive handling of the item, and the open ended box in particular.

Now I understand it was his item, my concern is through carelessness there is now one less of these Original Classic Engines left. When I serviced this piece I handled it with the utmost care and it was a very impressive piece when I left it sitting on his kitchen table.

When I returned it looked like these things are usually found a busted up pile of garbage.

Mishandling a 3 to 5 thousand dollar item is no accident, not when you have been advised to exercise caution.:eek:
I would call it supreme stupidity. -- lancer

Last edited:
Sure he was responsible. But it was an accident, and accidents happen all the time. If they didn't the insurance companies would be out of business.

Collectors in general should take good care of their collections. The toys we broke as children are worth much more these days, and they are so expensive because we didn't take good care of them as children! Now they are rare, they have become collectibles...
:D:rolleyes:;)

Cheers...

Uthred

They are "Collectible Toy Soldiers"

That sums it up for me...they are toys for me to play with, not my children...they tend to be soldiers...and they can become addictingly collectible!
Mike

That sums it up for me...they are toys for me to play with, not my children...they tend to be soldiers...and they can become addictingly collectible!
Mike

Mike, I still insist the forum we are discussing is called: Treefrog Treasures Toy Soldier Forums. It's called that and not 'Treefrog Treasures Collectible Toy Soldier Forums' or 'Treefrog Treasures Military Miniature Forums' for a reason, right?
;)

Actually it looks like some collectors aren't proud of their hobby, disguising it under another name. That's not my case: I am proud to say I collect toy soldiers, there's no need to call toy soldiers anything else!

A bard, a much smarter guy than we all, once said: What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
;)

Now, who am I to disagree with William Shakespeare?

Cheers...

Uthred

One man's toy soldier is another man's historic miniature.
Semper Fi!
Rick

Mike, I still insist the forum we are discussing is called: Treefrog Treasures Toy Soldier Forums. It's called that and not 'Treefrog Treasures Collectible Toy Soldier Forums' or 'Treefrog Treasures Military Miniature Forums' for a reason, right?
;)

Actually it looks like some collectors aren't proud of their hobby, disguising it under another name. That's not my case: I am proud to say I collect toy soldiers, there's no need to call toy soldiers anything else!

A bard, a much smarter guy than we all, once said: What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
;)

Cheers...

Uthred

I agree with you Uthred..they are TOY SOLDIERS

;)

;)

Cheers...

Uthred

I agree ! I collect them!
Mike

Toy Soldier v Model Soldier: I don't believe their relative cost or the way they are handled defines their difference, imo it is the Style.

Toy Soldiers: are styled on the traditional glossy toy soldier cherished or mistreated by children of years passed.

Model Soldiers: are usually in matte finish and made to represent the actual rather than a traditional toy.

I would submit another version of the toy soldier/model soldier distinction:

toy soldier: either matte or glossy figures, generally mass (or cottage:D) produced, cost normally between 20 and 45USD (for foot figures). Examples: K&C, Britains, Tradition's glossy figures, Imperial Productions, Little Legion, etc..

model soldier: extremely detailed and well painted figures, careful individual studies/representations of the real thing, not mass produced. Price normally from 80USD upwards. Examples: russian style figures like Aeroart, Arsenyev, Kolobob, Art IG, but also Stadden and Tradition's model figures and painted models from Pegaso, Andrea, Seil and others.

Paulo

For me, they are toy soldiers, one and all. Ultimately, it's a name, and I can't imagine anyone getting too hung up on how they're described (but maybe I'm wrong :rolleyes:), but I don't see price, painting standard, material having an effect on their description.

A Ford Model T is a car. As is a VW Beetle, Toyota Corolla, Mercedes or Maserati. Now obviously, some are more expensive than others and some, (such as the Toyota), are far superior in terms of finish and build, but they are still all cars, not 'connoisseur 4 wheeled transportation devices'.

Simon

Hey guys, i still want kc to be as detailed as possible especially with what camo pattern was used where. As for capitaltron, kc is the best matte toy soldier company and probabbly the best overall. But how did you not ever collect trophy figures as they were probably the best gloss toy soldier made.

Hawkeye

I never caught the "glossy bug" ?

Glossy figures are very nice - but, never really got me - then when I found King & Country figures back in 2000 - WOW ! :eek: - I was hooked.

For some reason the MATTE figures grab me and never let go ! :D

I guess we all are drawn what reminds us the most of our childhood days or catches our eye. :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back