Why do we love and hate K&C. (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, they are toy soldiers, one and all. Ultimately, it's a name, and I can't imagine anyone getting too hung up on how they're described (but maybe I'm wrong :rolleyes:), but I don't see price, painting standard, material having an effect on their description.

A Ford Model T is a car. As is a VW Beetle, Toyota Corolla, Mercedes or Maserati. Now obviously, some are more expensive than others and some, (such as the Toyota), are far superior in terms of finish and build, but they are still all cars, not 'connoisseur 4 wheeled transportation devices'.

Simon

You're 100% right, Simon!
;)

Cheers...

Uthred

For me, they are toy soldiers, one and all. Ultimately, it's a name, and I can't imagine anyone getting too hung up on how they're described (but maybe I'm wrong :rolleyes:), but I don't see price, painting standard, material having an effect on their description.

A Ford Model T is a car. As is a VW Beetle, Toyota Corolla, Mercedes or Maserati. Now obviously, some are more expensive than others and some, (such as the Toyota), are far superior in terms of finish and build, but they are still all cars, not 'connoisseur 4 wheeled transportation devices'.

Simon

Hit the nail on the head there Simon. Looks like a closed case. :D And I thought you were just witty, turns out you are actually very intelligent as well :D :D :D

Hit the nail on the head there Simon. Looks like a closed case. :D And I thought you were just witty, turns out you are actually very intelligent as well :D :D :D

I'm always at least half prepared for a battle of wits and I put the 'telly' in intellig....hmmm...nope, that don't work....:confused:

For me there is a difference.When you see figures in a diorama in a museum representing an event they are made as actual people not as toy looking characters.There is room for all but I didn't have the slightest interest in collecting toy soldiers.My first interest ever was when I saw KC's matte Rough Riders.This is just my personal taste so please don't anyone be offended by it.
Mark

Simon

Well, as long as your happy with that, but it doesn't mean that you are correct, this is just your interpretation.

As you raised the car comparison, when is a toy car a model car? By your definition......never. Which many model car collectors would find very strange indeed :D

For me there is a difference.When you see figures in a diorama in a museum representing an event they are made as actual people not as toy looking characters.There is room for all but I didn't have the slightest interest in collecting toy soldiers.My first interest ever was when I saw KC's matte Rough Riders.This is just my personal taste so please don't anyone be offended by it.
Mark

I agree, we will continue collecting models and leave the boys with their toys ;) :D

I agree, we will continue collecting models and leave the boys with their toys ;) :D

Collect models? You mean models like Gisele Bündchen and Cindy Crawford? I sugest you gentlemen search the word MODELS on google... You're going to be surprised!! No toy soldiers, just gorgeous women!
:D:D:D

I wish I could collect models...
:p

Too bad I'm just a boy and can't collect them! Let me keep with my toy soldiers...
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers...

Uthred

Mark

Mark I agree. And isn't it silly trying to "Establish" what they are to be called?

Anyone that wants to call them "Toy Soldiers" why thats just fine.

I prefer Military miniatures since my collection is displayed as the wife frowns

on me playing with my collections anymore.:D

Mark I agree. And isn't it silly trying to "Establish" what they are to be called?

I prefer Military miniatures since my collection is displayed as the wife frowns

I think they started as Toy Soldiers but have evolved into much more.You cannot compare the cars and planes of the early 20th cen.with their decendents of today.
Mark

I haven’t read any of the responses in this thread yet. Instead I have chosen to rumble off some ideas before I do. So here they go.

Dislikes (“Hate” is a bit over the top) – really nothing.
Andy gets a bit too competitive sometimes in the words he uses. However, I chalk that up to pride and passion and we the collector benefit enormously as the result.

KC over the last five years I’ve been collecting is the best run company in this industry. How many companies out there CONSISTENTLY deliver the following?

• Creativity, quality, innovation, accuracy and variety in product and eras
  • Communications: No one does it better PERIOD and CONSISTENTLY TOO! You can expect a regular communiqué from KC usually the first Monday of EVERY month! No one else does that.
  • Protects his dealers and his & there margins from “discounters” with the threat of dealer excommunications. This is sound enlighten self interest you have to respect.
  • Best Collector’s club and benefits to the member
  • Hyper vigilances on his competitor’s improvements and resulting in even more KC innovation. Again, the collector wins here and especially when it spurs even more enhancements by the competitors
  • Always approachable at shows and other venues

Most of you known I’m not a KC groupie and I love to cheer the underdog however, there’s a reason he’s the KING, he continues to earn it. The industry has thieved because of it.

Carlos

Collect models? You mean models like Gisele Bündchen and Cindy Crawford? I sugest you gentlemen search the word MODELS on google... You're going to be surprised!! No toy soldiers, just gorgeous women!
:D:D:D

I wish I could collect models...
:p

Too bad I'm just a boy and can't collect them! Let me keep with my toy soldiers...
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers...

Uthred

Hi Uthred, Here's a paragraph from Wikipedia - Toy Soldiers which explains what I have been trying to:

"Toy soldiers vary from simple playthings to highly realistic and detailed models. The latter are of more recent development and are sometimes called model figures to distinguish them from traditional toy soldiers."

You guys can call yours what you like, I'm sticking with model figures as it sounds more mature (I need every help I can get in that regard) ;) :D

I think they started as Toy Soldiers but have evolved into much more.You cannot compare the cars and planes of the early 20th cen.with their decendents of today.
Mark

Even tough cars and planes changed a lot in over a century, they are still called cars and planes, Mark. Why would we need to call toy soldiers something else? Just because some collectors don't want to admit they collect toy soldiers?
:D:D

You gentlemen that collect something else, not toy soldiers, should take a look at the name of this forum: It's the Treefrog Treasures Toy Soldier Forums, not the Treefrog Treasures Model Forums, Treefrog Treasures Millitary Miniature Forums, or Treefrog Treasures Collectible Toy Soldier Forums.
:cool:

I rest my case.
:D

Cheers...

Uthred

Hi Uthred, Here's a paragraph from Wikipedia - Toy Soldiers which explains what I have been trying to:

"Toy soldiers vary from simple playthings to highly realistic and detailed models. The latter are of more recent development and are sometimes called model figures to distinguish them from traditional toy soldiers."

You guys can call yours what you like, I'm sticking with model figures as it sounds more mature (I need every help I can get in that regard) ;) :D

And I rest MY case, or should that be let's just give it a rest :D

Military miniatures is an expression I find myself using when telling someone else about my collection:D

Paulo

Paulo:

Yes it can be quite difficult to explain to someone with different interests!

On occasion I get the deer in a headlight expression:eek: when someone

enters the den.

I really preferr it when someone sees something that interest them like an

old train, or Dinky Toy, or Comic Book which starts the conversation. The

black stare leaves you nowhere to begin so I usually hand them a soda.:D

Attachments

• DEN-17.JPG
    DEN-17.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 160
I belong to or follow forums of painters and sculpters who create and or paint miniatures and they distinguish between historical/military miniatures and toy soldiers.Masters such as Alan Ball sculpt for both but I think that in recent times toy soldiers and models/miniatures have split and are on two different roads.I know that this is a KC thread but I would like Ken Osen to post and voice his opinion.I don't think there is right or wrong in this but I am interested in the opinion of a professional.I did want to say that I have recently noticed an upsurge of interest in the Traditionals on the forum.Any opinions about this?
Mark

I belong to or follow forums of painters and sculpters who create and or paint miniatures and they distinguish between historical/military miniatures and toy soldiers.Masters such as Alan Ball sculpt for both but I think that in recent times toy soldiers and models/miniatures have split and are on two different roads.I know that this is a KC thread but I would like Ken Osen to post and voice his opinion.I don't think there is right or wrong in this but I am interested in the opinion of a professional.I did want to say that I have recently noticed an upsurge of interest in the Traditionals on the forum.Any opinions about this?
Mark

I agree with this, although don't worry too much about distinctions. But clearly one thing is a mass produced figure and another is an individual model figure painstakingly painted and detailed to a point not found in the former. As others know better than me, the number of hours put into one and the other are quite different, so are the costs:eek: and the availability.
On Traditionals, I am a fan of glossy figures, these traditionals really have something special, must be that shine... but not of all, only well sculpted and painted ones (Trophy, Tradition, IMPERIAL, NEW BRITAINS). Older Britains or even Hocker are not my cup of tea though, although I recognize there are a lot of gems there....

Paulo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back