Bourbon Lovers (2 Viewers)

Picked this one up yesterday, it's very good and superior to the normal Four Roses. About $56 a bottle and was the #3 pick in Whiskey Advocate a couple of yrs ago I think.
View attachment 272474

Thought I would post a couple of pics of some of my Bourbon collection. Collected these over the yrs and not sure when they'll be opened. Maybe they'll have a heck of a wake when I'm gone. ^&grin
View attachment 272475
Weller is a good Bourbon, but not great IMO. But it's normally hard to find, especially the 12 yr old. A couple of bottles were gifts from friends. I bought the Old Rip Van Winkles thru a local Bourbon club for $65 a bottle. Saw it online for $1,000 retail.
View attachment 272476
A few whiskey's in the mix.
View attachment 272477
Final shot.
View attachment 272478

And then there's the Scotch collection.... :smile2: Chris

Beautiful! I still love Blantons, try to keep 2 bottles on hand, but pain to find here. Drives me nuts. I have only ever taste tested the Van Winkles, love them all, but again, near impossible to obtain here without shelling out a fortune! Nice Wellers!

TD

Chris that is one fine collection right there. I'm still hunting my first Blanton's. You pretty much have to sleep with the ABC staff to get one here. I had some Wellers last week at a friends. Tasty.

Got this at the local Kroger today. It's the single barrel reserve version. The 12 yr old is top shelf and thought I would give this a try. Curious as to the difference between this and the single barrel select in Mike's pic. CHris
IMG_4747.JPG

Got this at the local Kroger today. It's the single barrel reserve version. The 12 yr old is top shelf and thought I would give this a try. Curious as to the difference between this and the single barrel select in Mike's pic. CHris
View attachment 272955

Would like to know myself. I propose we have a blind taste test? The one I pictured is also a 9 yr old . . . Barreled in 2011 and bottled in 2020. On another note, this decanter serving set arrived to my house this afternoon. The decanter, the 4 DOF glasses, and the tray are all engraved. As you can see, I keep my distilled spirits and glassware in an antique Ice Box which really serves me well.

PXL_20210312_000343140_resize_90.jpg

PXL_20210312_000546372_resize_92.jpg

PXL_20210312_000535694_resize_30.jpg

attachment.php

Great looking decanter set. :salute:: Chris

Thanks Chris. I'll be taking it on its "maiden voyage" this weekend.
Mike

From Knob Creek regarding single barrel select, "Store-specific offering from a bourbon barrel specially chosen by your local retailer through our Single Barrel Program." And about single barrel reserve, "in the case of the Single Barrel Reserve, individual barrels are selected for their unique flavors and special nuances that make the whiskey just a little bit better than the others. The whiskey is not blended and the flavor profile for each batch of Single Barrel Reserve can change based on the barrel chosen to bottle at that time."

So in the case of Select, does the store owner/rep taste from barrels and say "I'll take this barrel, and this one, and this?" And if so, how do I get a job like that?
^&grin Chris

Chris, that sounds like a similar program to the bottle of Maker's Mark Private Selection that I recently purchased from one of my go to purveyors, Alpine Liquors. The owners were able to create their own stave profile in it's creation. The profile is based on 10 staves that were selected. For this particular bottle (109.7 proof), the profile is: 1 baked American pure, 2 seared French cuvee, 5 Maker's Mark 46, 1 roasted French mocha, and 1 toasted French spice. It's quite nice.
Mike

Picked up 2 new ones - Bardstown Bourbon Fusion and Bardstown Bourbon Discovery. Looking forward to them.

TD

CostCo has partnered with Barton's 1792, June release . . . 1792 Bourbon is a favorite of mine.
Mike
IMG_20210507_152215~3_resize_31.jpg

Got these for Father's Day. Okay, one is a Scotch. Eagle Rare was the "go to Bourbon" until it became hard to find lately. Think I raised my sons right. :smile2: Chris

IMG_0640.jpg

I was looking for Eagle Rare this past weekend and couldn't find any. In fact, all better Bourbons were in short supply on Maui.

Went the New Riff distillery in Newport, KY yesterday with two sons and a friend. Picked up these two. The rye whiskey is not being released in stores. Both were excellent at the distillery tastings. :smile2: Oldest son and his friend, both platoon sgts in the 101st are on a four day distillery tour. Chris

IMG_0681.jpg

Went the New Riff distillery in Newport, KY yesterday with two sons and a friend. Picked up these two. The rye whiskey is not being released in stores. Both were excellent at the distillery tastings. :smile2: Oldest son and his friend, both platoon sgts in the 101st are on a four day distillery tour. Chris

View attachment 276896

Very jealous you live in the right part of the Country!!
Tom

I finally tried the Old Granddad 114 last night, whoa, that is a punch, it is a hot one! Anyone else tried this one? It was a great sipper for a viewing of a few episodes of Z Nation!
TD

Very jealous you live in the right part of the Country!!
Tom

Tom, for many yrs when family and friends would come to visit we would take them to one of several distilleries that are within 30 min of home. We'd just show up and usually get on the next tour. Not anymore. Every distillery is booked weeks if not months in advance. The downside of popularity I guess. Chris

A tale of two Bourbons.

My nephew and family are in town for a visit. We were in Louisville to take the kids to the Louisville Slugger Museum and factory. I learned while there Old Forester had released their 150th anniversary bourbon. Every bit as sought after as their Birthday Bourbon, an annual release. THe distillery is about 8 blocks down the street from the museum. The line to the distillery was more than 2 blocks long in the morning and I figured they'd be sold out by the time I got there at 2:30pm but would give it a try. Gained entry after 10 minutes and got a bottle. Had my wife and nephew show up after that and they got right in to get two more bottles.
IMG_4831.JPG

Next day, we were in Frankfort and nephew asked to go to the gift shop at Buffalo Trace. Found out it was the day of the Weller Special Reserve release, very hard to find although I now have 5 bottles. ^&cool We each picked up a bottle, limited to one bottle purchase every three months.

IMG_4830.JPG

Been a good week. :smile2:
Chris

A tale of two Bourbons.

My nephew and family are in town for a visit. We were in Louisville to take the kids to the Louisville Slugger Museum and factory. I learned while there Old Forester had released their 150th anniversary bourbon. Every bit as sought after as their Birthday Bourbon, an annual release. THe distillery is about 8 blocks down the street from the museum. The line to the distillery was more than 2 blocks long in the morning and I figured they'd be sold out by the time I got there at 2:30pm but would give it a try. Gained entry after 10 minutes and got a bottle. Had my wife and nephew show up after that and they got right in to get two more bottles.
View attachment 278496

Next day, we were in Frankfort and nephew asked to go to the gift shop at Buffalo Trace. Found out it was the day of the Weller Special Reserve release, very hard to find although I now have 5 bottles. ^&cool We each picked up a bottle, limited to one bottle purchase every three months.

View attachment 278497

Been a good week. :smile2:
Chris

GOOD LORD! you are a lucky man, I am still jealous!
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back