Britain's American Civil War (2 Viewers)

Mike,
Just to change the subject a little bit,are you still involved with your Naps and crusades?ok now back to those Rebs and Yanks.
Mark

Titus - Glad you liked the Yankees.
Mark - Going to concentrate on the ACW, Zulus, and the Crusaders.
Vick - Hope you had a nice vacation.

Mike

Rockbridge Artillery​
The Confederate Rockbridge Artillery was a remarkable battery whose original muster included 35 college graduates (seven with master's degrees) and 25 theology students. The Rockbridge Artillery had the reputation of being one of the finest units in the Confederate service. So high was the intellectual quality of the men that forty-five were commissioned as officers and assigned to other companies in the service. Many of them reached high distinction. At no time during the war did this company want for recruits; it was so popular that it always had a list from which it could fill its ranks, which were sometimes depleted by its heavy casualties and numerous promotions from its roster. Robert E. Lee's own son, Robert Jr., served as a gunner in this famed artillery battalion.

The 1st Virginia "Rockbridge" Artillery Battalion, was organized on April 12, 1861 in Lexington, Rockbridge County, Virginia. John McCrusland, an instructor at the Virginia Military Institute (VMI), was elected Captain and three young lawyers, John B. Brockenbrough, William McLaughlin and William T. Poague, were elected Lieutenants. Dr. William N Pendleton, a rector from a small church in Lexington, was called upon to drill the new recruits. Dr. Pendleton, a West Point graduate who had excelled in artillery at the academy, skillfully instructed the new the troops in handling their guns. Dr. Pendleton would later become General Robert E. Lee's Chief of Artillery for the Army of Northern Virginia.

The new battery numbered 76 officers and men. Captain McCLausland soon after was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel and ordered to the Western part of the state. On April 29th the company unanimously elected Dr. Pendleton as their new Captain. The company left Lexington May 10, 1861, with four brass 6-pounder cadet guns, obtained at the Virginia Military Institute. Known as the Four Apostles, Captain Pendleton named the guns Matthew, Mark, Luke and John because he felt they "spoke a powerful language". The battery was mustered into the Confederate service at Staunton, Virginia, on May 11, and was at once ordered to Harper's Ferry where it was attached to the 1st Virginia Brigade (the Stonewall Brigade) commanded by Colonel Thomas Jackson. It continued as a component part of the Stonewall Brigade, in touch with and occupying the same positions with it in all its battles and skirmishes up to Sharpsburg (Antietam).

The Rockbridge Artillery took part in a total of 32 battles, not all well known, but included 1st Bull Run (Manassas), 1862 Shenandoah Campaign, White Oak Swamp, Seven Days Battle, 2nd Bull Run(Manassas), Sharpsburg (Antietam), Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, The Wilderness, Cold Harbor and the siege of Petersburg.

Over a period of four years a total of 408 volunteers served in the Rockbridge Artillery. On arriving at Appomattox Court House on April 9 1865, Captain Graham surrendered 101 officers and men. This was the largest battery and contained more men than any other company in Lee's army.

Enrolled: 408
Number from Rockbridge County: 173
Killed in battle: 23
Died of disease contracted in service: 16
Wounded more or less severely: 49
Slightly wounded, names not given: 50
Discharged from service for disability incurred during service: 10
Took the Oath of Allegiance to the Federal Government while in prison: 2
Deserted: 5
Promoted to be commissioned officers: 45
Paroled at Appomattox: 101

Jackson and the "Four Apostles" at Port Republic

Jackson_and_His_Disciples.jpg

My Rockbridge Artillery Battery

PICT0001-9.jpg

PICT0002-6.jpg

Titus - Glad you liked the Yankees.
Mark - Going to concentrate on the ACW, Zulus, and the Crusaders.
Vick - Hope you had a nice vacation.

Mike

Rockbridge Artillery​
The Confederate Rockbridge Artillery was a remarkable battery whose original muster included 35 college graduates (seven with master's degrees) and 25 theology students. The Rockbridge Artillery had the reputation of being one of the finest units in the Confederate service. So high was the intellectual quality of the men that forty-five were commissioned as officers and assigned to other companies in the service. Many of them reached high distinction. At no time during the war did this company want for recruits; it was so popular that it always had a list from which it could fill its ranks, which were sometimes depleted by its heavy casualties and numerous promotions from its roster. Robert E. Lee's own son, Robert Jr., served as a gunner in this famed artillery battalion.

The 1st Virginia "Rockbridge" Artillery Battalion, was organized on April 12, 1861 in Lexington, Rockbridge County, Virginia. John McCrusland, an instructor at the Virginia Military Institute (VMI), was elected Captain and three young lawyers, John B. Brockenbrough, William McLaughlin and William T. Poague, were elected Lieutenants. Dr. William N Pendleton, a rector from a small church in Lexington, was called upon to drill the new recruits. Dr. Pendleton, a West Point graduate who had excelled in artillery at the academy, skillfully instructed the new the troops in handling their guns. Dr. Pendleton would later become General Robert E. Lee's Chief of Artillery for the Army of Northern Virginia.

The new battery numbered 76 officers and men. Captain McCLausland soon after was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel and ordered to the Western part of the state. On April 29th the company unanimously elected Dr. Pendleton as their new Captain. The company left Lexington May 10, 1861, with four brass 6-pounder cadet guns, obtained at the Virginia Military Institute. Known as the Four Apostles, Captain Pendleton named the guns Matthew, Mark, Luke and John because he felt they "spoke a powerful language". The battery was mustered into the Confederate service at Staunton, Virginia, on May 11, and was at once ordered to Harper's Ferry where it was attached to the 1st Virginia Brigade (the Stonewall Brigade) commanded by Colonel Thomas Jackson. It continued as a component part of the Stonewall Brigade, in touch with and occupying the same positions with it in all its battles and skirmishes up to Sharpsburg (Antietam).

The Rockbridge Artillery took part in a total of 32 battles, not all well known, but included 1st Bull Run (Manassas), 1862 Shenandoah Campaign, White Oak Swamp, Seven Days Battle, 2nd Bull Run(Manassas), Sharpsburg (Antietam), Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, The Wilderness, Cold Harbor and the siege of Petersburg.

Over a period of four years a total of 408 volunteers served in the Rockbridge Artillery. On arriving at Appomattox Court House on April 9 1865, Captain Graham surrendered 101 officers and men. This was the largest battery and contained more men than any other company in Lee's army.

Enrolled: 408
Number from Rockbridge County: 173
Killed in battle: 23
Died of disease contracted in service: 16
Wounded more or less severely: 49
Slightly wounded, names not given: 50
Discharged from service for disability incurred during service: 10
Took the Oath of Allegiance to the Federal Government while in prison: 2
Deserted: 5
Promoted to be commissioned officers: 45
Paroled at Appomattox: 101

Jackson and the "Four Apostles" at Port Republic

My Rockbridge Artillery Battery

PICT0001-9.jpg

PICT0002-6.jpg

Excellent pictures Mike and many thanks for the fascinating info on the Rockbridge Artillery;)

Cheers

Martyn:)

Mike, thanks for the excellent info and pictures!:) Looking forward to your completed diorama....Vick

Thank you for posting those really great dioramas and the history lesson.

Thank you all: Martyn, Titus, Vick, Damian, and Joe.

The Rockbridge Artillery Battery evolved throughout the ACW. The four "Apostles" light 6-pounder cadet guns were eventually replaced. These guns can be seen today at the VMI museum.

By September of 1862 during the Sharpsburg/Antietam campaign the battery was commanded by Captain William T. Poague (later promoted to colonel with command of his own artillery battalion in the Confederate Third Corps) and it was equipped with two 10-pounder Parrott guns, one 12-pounder Napoleaon, and one 6-pounder gun.

By the Gettysburg campaign, it was commanded by Captain Graham (who was also in command at Appomatox) and was equippped with four 20-pounder Parrott guns.

Mike

I should have posted this here not "over there."

NEAT! Jackson got right in there with his artillery. Looks like he's still wearing his old US coat in this modern print.

Don't "search" Rockridge Artillery as a reenactment unit. The seem to be made of of older portly men and women with ponytails.

I should have posted this here not "over there."

NEAT! Jackson got right in there with his artillery. Looks like he's still wearing his old US coat in this modern print.

Don't "search" Rockridge Artillery as a reenactment unit. The seem to be made of of older portly men and women with ponytails.

Being an old VMI artillery instructor, "Stonewall" on more than one occaision directed his own artillery guns. He wasn't the only general that did this or helped out with the guns. General Longstreet once helped man a gun, I believe at Antietam, and General A. P. Hill also once helped man a gun during an intense battle.

I also like the picture of Jackson with his "Four Apostles" at Port Republic. I am hopeful that Wm Britain/Richard Walker/Ken Osen will develop two more CSA artillery sets so I can form a full battery. If this would happen I would like to see the uniforming more "battle worn" as in this picture. 3-inch ordinance guns would be nice to have.
Mike

With a good cup of coffee in hand, its time to "test drive" my new scenic bases with a series of pictures that include the new ACW figure sets I got at the Chicago OTSN show.

This is a picture of an old Conte set #ACW57125 Union Troops Marching #2. I picked this one up because it does blend very well with my WB sets. Also many of the earlier Conte ACW figures were sculpted by Ken Osen as I believe this one was.

A Union foraging party near Winchester, VA. Is there ham in that smokehouse?
PICT0001-2.jpg

I hadn't planned on getting these two sets, #31009 Confederate Infantry Marching Set #2 and #31041 Confederate Marching Set #3 but when I saw them at the OTSN show I was compelled to get them. Both are supposed to depict Confederate soldiers just after crossing the Potomac River in 1862, thus their bare feet, etc. But what I saw was a group of "country" boys that were more used to walking down dirt roads barefooted than wearing stiff army issue brogans.

Here you see them departing a farmer's property in Virginia after washing the dust off their feet and refreshing themselves at the springhouse. As they leave they say goodbye and thank you as one tips his hat to the lady of the house.

Country boys at heart
ACW23.jpg

Thank you kindly for the water
ACW24.jpg

Country roads take me . . . . .
ACW25.jpg

Very nice Mike, I must admit I do like the Potomac figures. There is something about them, perhaps a reminder of Huck Finn ??

Before going to the Chicago OTSN show I had acquired infantry and artillery but no cavalry. So one of my goals at the show was to acquire at least the Wm Britain cavalry sets that are being retired; #31016 Confederate Trooper w/Pistol, #31018 Union Trooper w/Pistol, #31019 Confederate Trooper w/Guidon, and #31020 Union Trooper w/Carbine. I also acquired #31030 Union Trooper w/Saber Drawn - the saber is actually made of stainless steel and is sharp.

Here are some pictures that depict (using my imagination) Turner Ashby's 7th Virginia Cavalry engaged with elements of the 1st Maryland US Cavalry "Cole's Cavalry":

PICT0004-1.jpg

PICT0005-1.jpg

PICT0006-1.jpg

PICT0007-1.jpg

PICT0008-1.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

The last set I acquired at the OTSN show was Wm Britain #17631 Stonewall Brigade 5th VA Inf Wounded set which depicts an officer and an infantry soldier being cut down in the heat of battle while a young drummer boy looks on in horror. I think casualty sets are as equally important to have as the other sets. Unfortuneately there is never enough different casualty poses made in my opinion. Long time retired, this set has eluded me for ever it seems. Within 45 minutes of the doors opening on Sunday morning, I found the set being sold "As Is" in a pile of dusty and shelf worn boxes. The drummer boy's hand and drum had fallen off his arm and there was some paint chipping on the drummer's sleeve - all evidence of a mishap with another object. Anyway, I got the set for $30 (originally retailed for $68). Got it home, and in no time at all had made the necessary repairs very easily. This was the best find of the show for me.

Here are a few pictures of this set with a figure from #17912 Stonewall Brigade - Confederate Infantry Wounded and Dead which I already had. I like to call this scene Casualties of Canister

PICT0001-3.jpg

PICT0002-2.jpg

PICT0003-1.jpg

Mike,

The base looks awesome! And the pics are awesome has well! I see you are gonna have lots of fun with these.

Titus

I'm sure his playtime has just begun Titus and looking to enjoy more of it as he'll continues to. It's nice seeing the enjoyment your getting out of your playtime Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back