Britain's American Civil War (2 Viewers)

One more series of pictures this morning. B Company of the 7th Ohio Vol Inf charge across a pasture towards a stonewall defended by a company of the 5th Virginia Infantry . . . . . . . . . . Mike

PICT0001-7.jpg

PICT0002-6.jpg

PICT0003-6.jpg

PICT0004-3.jpg

PICT0005-2.jpg

Mike....your new "scenic base" is outstanding....your photos with it are simply beautiful.:cool:

Thanks all for the continued feedback. I am glad you are all enjoying them.

:eek::eek: I went to the cupboard this morning to get some coffee and the cupboard was bare :eek::eek: A little playtime real quick and then I must run to the store - can't be without my coffee!!!!!!
Mike

ACW35-1.jpg

ACW36.jpg

ACW37.jpg

ACW38.jpg

Great to see your playtime Mike, your display is fantastic !!!! Hoping you get your Java fix real soon :)

Just like all the others, I too am enjoying your play time. Keep up the great work.

After picking Ken Osen's brain on how to go about painting a scenic backdrop at the OTSN show, at least 2 PM's with questions on the "how tos" and 1 phone call, I decided to try my hand at my first painted backdrop. Started yesterday and finished it his afternoon (aw the benefits of retirement :p). I used a 2' x 4' sheet of hardboard (masonite) for the project. I had a lot of enjoyment doing this project - it certainly kept me busy :), and as you can see I still have a lot to learn and more artistic skills to develop :eek:;). Here it is . . . . . . Mike

PICT0006-2.jpg

PICT0007-2.jpg

PICT0008-2.jpg

Great job Mike, I am enjoying watch your platime and progress. Thanks for sharing it with us !!! Just don't pull me into the ACW please :D :D :D

I appreciate your kind sentiments gentlemen (Scott, LT, Scott (Britfarmer), Jake and Titus) about my first attempt at painting a backdrop. However, I am my own worst critique and I have decided to repaint the darn thing - I really didn't like the way the tree line photographed, and the mountain was to monochromatic to suit me. I have been working on it since yesterday and I must say that so far it is much better looking. Thought I would take a break from painting and play a little bit. Here's a picture of a Union officer preparing for an attack . . . . . . . . . . Mike

ACW39.jpg

I appreciate your kind sentiments gentlemen (Scott, LT, Scott (Britfarmer), Jake and Titus) about my first attempt at painting a backdrop. However, I am my own worst critique and I have decided to repaint the darn thing - I really didn't like the way the tree line photographed, and the mountain was to monochromatic to suit me. I have been working on it since yesterday and I must say that so far it is much better looking. Thought I would take a break from painting and play a little bit. Here's a picture of a Union officer preparing for an attack . . . . . . . . . . Mike

ACW39.jpg

Mike, excellent photos and setup!:) This thread has brought out my love of the ACW again, now I might have to find time to fit in Gods and Generals and Gettysburg next weekend!:cool:

-Jake

Last edited:
Mike, excellent photos and setup!:) This thread has brought out my love of the ACW again, now I might have to find time to fit in Gods and Generals and Gettysburg next weekend!:cool:

-Jake

Thank you Jake. If you mean the movies, I really enjoyed Gettysburg (based on the novel Killer Angels) but I was somewhat disappointed in Gods and Generals. I had many ACW re-enacting friends that were extras in both films.

Mike

Nice looking terrain pieces, Mike, and I see your ACW collection is expanding rapidly. Congratulations too on finding those few elusive figure sets you had been looking for.

MD

Nice looking terrain pieces, Mike, and I see your ACW collection is expanding rapidly. Congratulations too on finding those few elusive figure sets you had been looking for.

MD

Thank you very much Dave. Great hearing from you. I hope all is well with you.

Here are a couple of pictures in which I used one of my favorite photographs - a Shenandoah Valley back road. I though it fit nicely with the diorama road.

Mike

ACW41.jpg

ACW40.jpg

Well I just finished my second attempt at painting my ACW Shenandoah Valley backdrop. This one is much better, but I still have more art skills to develop.

I painted this from a spring photograph of a horse pasture at Long Branch, a historical house and farm near Millwood, Va southeast of Winchester. I am still not totally satisfied with the tree line, but for now this one works for me. It was a fun project which I found to be very relaxing . . . . . . Mike

Image of actual phograph - I know its small but it gives you a good idea of what I was trying to copy.

769264642.jpg

Backdrop that I painted - 2' x 4'

PICT0001-2.jpg

Backdrop in use - close up

PICT0001-3.jpg

Backdrop in use - distant shot of diorama

PICT0002-7.jpg

Read your reply and will say the ranker is my favorite of all of the rankers. Would love to see him done standing tall firing his Matini-Henry feature with the same head and facial features. Now back to the subject at hand the painting of your new backdrop and all I've got to say at this point very nicely done the second time around and is blending in very nicely with the bases of your diorama. Got a hunch we'll see additional improvements on it from your end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back