Corona virus (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You got to have money to live.Your home,food,clothes,fuel,all that cost money.They don't give it to you.
Mark

[h=3]Do Not Worry[/h][SUP]25 [/SUP]“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? [SUP]26 [/SUP]Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? [SUP]27 [/SUP]Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[SUP][a][/SUP]?
[SUP]28 [/SUP]“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. [SUP]29 [/SUP]Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. [SUP]30 [/SUP]If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? [SUP]31 [/SUP]So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ [SUP]32 [/SUP]For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. [SUP]33 [/SUP]But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. [SUP]34 [/SUP]Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Do Not Worry

[SUP]25 [/SUP]“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? [SUP]26 [/SUP]Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? [SUP]27 [/SUP]Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[SUP][a][/SUP]?
[SUP]28 [/SUP]“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. [SUP]29 [/SUP]Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. [SUP]30 [/SUP]If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? [SUP]31 [/SUP]So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ [SUP]32 [/SUP]For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. [SUP]33 [/SUP]But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. [SUP]34 [/SUP]Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

No offense but when I start reading this, all I can think of is that song from Cypress Hill - Hits from the Bong. Not being a fan of Kumbaya, this is the alternative song when I ready happy horsepuckey.
TD

No offense but when I start reading this, all I can think of is that song from Cypress Hill - Hits from the Bong. Not being a fan of Kumbaya, this is the alternative song when I ready happy horsepuckey.
TD

Jesus was not a singer {sm4}

No politics or religion....but I'm jealous of the states where you know what is legal!!!!!

Legal here, but many are stopping recreational sales to make it safe for those who medically need it.

No politics or religion....but I'm jealous of the states where you know what is legal!!!!!

On your dollars is written" In God we trust", isn't that religion? {sm4} On money you better write " In devil we trust"{sm4}

Sitting in the garage in the vintage perf car,,singing waltzing matilda and thinking of "On the beach"

On your dollars is written" In God we trust", isn't that religion? {sm4} On money you better write " In devil we trust"{sm4}

I have always been down with 666 "The Number of the Beast", so while everyone else is "Run to the Hills" attitude, I will be a "Trooper" and stand my ground. Then again, it may send me "Straight To Hell" and subsequently "Under the Graveyard" but I will hopefully have a lot of that devil green so I won't die an "Ordinary Man"

Trivia since this thread jumped the shark 200 posts ago, gold star to the first post to identify the author's above of quotes...................

TD

LaRRy,

Is there a lot of community spread in Maine? If not, then I have to wonder about the "lockdown" in your location, or anywhere else that's not impacted. My concern is that, two weeks from now, your area MIGHT actually have the virus spreading among the locals. So, what to do then, lock it down for another two weeks? And what do you do in the rest of the country? BTW, I don't know the answers to the questions. Profoundly hope that someone in a decision-making position actually does.

Change of subject...

Came across a map of major virus hotspots, locations with a lot of sick people:

View attachment 258806

Note that the circles lie in something of a climatic temperature band.

-Moe

Moe,

Many experts here (Brazil) are hoping that there could be a smaller rate of infection in warmer areas, but I'm sad to say that these same experts are saying that first data suggests it won't be the case. Apparently the rates are the same as Europe and the US right after the outbreak. They ponder however that another week is necessary to confirm that the curve keeps the same.

Afternoon, Moe.
I live in Mid-Coast Maine.
It is not really a rural area, but typically the homes are on large tracks of land; something like 100's of acres per property.
I am one of the poor ones with only 32 acres.

The state was spared any cases until about 2-3 week ago.
The numbers are a bit confusing, but it seems that there are 21 - 27 presumptive cases, but only 3 - 5 active.
But they are in different counties across the state.

No deaths - THANK GOD.

So no, thankfully there seems to be no community spread.
I must not understand your message since I can't believe that you believe a community should wait until there are many cases before reacting??

* A lot of that has to do with the fact that winter in Maine tends to keep people at home or small gatherings and NOT out in large groups.

* Maine is being very Proactive rather than reactive. The Governor has been "trying" to keep ahead of the game.

* ALL eating establishments are closed ... only drive through is allowed and the person must pay online, prior to pickup.

* All catering services are shut down.

* VERY FEW nonessential businesses are open. Plays, bowling allies, movies theaters arcades, etc are closed. Some Big Box stores are open, but many small stores are closed.

* Drug stores are open but the Lincoln County RULE is only "ONE" person in the Pharmacy at a time. No waiting for prescriptions. Call in your prescription and they will call or text you when ready. Can't simply walk in.

* All city, county and federal offices are minimally staffed and only for important tasks. SADLY the tax collector is STILL OPEN{sm2}
* Seems like all libraries are closed but they are offering FREE download of e-Readers books

* No Kindergarten, elementary or high schools are open.
* Private schools are closed
* Almost all Colleges and Universities are telling their students not to come back after spring break and are offering on-line courses.

* Seems all churches and religious building are closed.

* 100% of all child and adult day care centers are closed

* Nursing homes and elderly living centers & villages are 100% locked down by-order-of the CDC. No one gets in. Generally there is a County Sheriff or State Cop there should anyone try to give them grief.

* Hospitals have opened separate COVID-19 centers. If you fear you might have the virus you MUST call 911 and they will come and get you. You can't simply drive to the doctor or hospital.

* I am not sure, but I think the limit of meetings is NO MORE than 50; that has dropped in the last few days from 200.

* Banks are mostly closed,only allowing one two persons at a time. Normal banking should done on-line and at ATMs.

* Supermarkets are open but there are now strict limits on dozens of items.
BIG notices are spelling out the "Price Gouging" laws saying that they will be enforced and Heavy Fines and Jail will result.

The list goes on an on.............

If the conditions are not better than YES the shutdown or lock down will extend.

I would much rather have these restriction now, for a while, than see friend and neighbors sick or die.

--- LaRRy

Wow, that's quite the reaction there Larry.

Today I went to Walmart, bought some canned tuna, some paper towels, a few odds and ends.
Then I went to CVS, picked up a prescription, some odds and ends.
Went to the bank, made a deposit.
Went to Cumberland farms and got gas.

Took me about 30 minutes.

If this same scenario played out where you live, two in, two out at Walmart, CVS and the Bank, I'd still be at Wal Mart waiting to get in.

Everything here such as schools, restaurants etc, are closed, but everything else is up and running and people are out and about.

Apparently different states are handling it differently, time will tell what strategy worked best; from everything I am seeing and reading, the next two weeks will tell the story.

Regardless, we're in this for a long time; at this point, ONE tiny piece of good information would be most welcomed...……..just ONE for the love of God.

In God we trust. All others pay cash.

As I like to say. Cash on the barrel head in the words of one of my childhood heroes - Jefferson Davis Hogg. I think on my downtime, it is the right time to revisit that show!

Thanks Brad, you triggered a good memory!

TD

Wow, that's quite the reaction there Larry.

Today I went to Walmart, bought some canned tuna, some paper towels, a few odds and ends.
Then I went to CVS, picked up a prescription, some odds and ends.
Went to the bank, made a deposit.
Went to Cumberland farms and got gas.

Took me about 30 minutes.

If this same scenario played out where you live, two in, two out at Walmart, CVS and the Bank, I'd still be at Wal Mart waiting to get in.

Everything here such as schools, restaurants etc, are closed, but everything else is up and running and people are out and about.

Apparently different states are handling it differently, time will tell what strategy worked best; from everything I am seeing and reading, the next two weeks will tell the story.

Regardless, we're in this for a long time; at this point, ONE tiny piece of good information would be most welcomed...……..just ONE for the love of God.

Afternoon,

YOU GOT PAPER TOWELS??? {eek3} Did you have to trade away a kidney?

ONE … :rolleyes2: … well the FIRST Vaccine for COVID-19 seems to be underway and good so far with the volunteers. Still, a while away for general use.
TWO .. If you can believe the &%$#% Chinese government (ha, ha, ha) then new virus case rate is way down.
THREE .. The gas prices are way down.
FOUR … the air quality has improved since the shutdown of many polluting industries.

Still, a sucky way to achieve those goals … :redface2:

Yup, different states and each state has to do what is best .. as they see it, I guess.

However, I would be surprised that there isn't more restriction that (maybe) you don't see. For example total restrictions to nursing homes, child daycare centers and such. But as you said, each state makes its own guidelines.

With Mass showing 223 cases and Maine with 3 [these are confirmed numbers and not presumptive] I rather go with the tough restrictions as it seems to be conforming to the CDC requests to "FLATTEN THE CURVE" and most of all working. Still it is difficult, at best, to say what will worksfor Mainers, will work for Massachusetts and what will work for New Yorkers and so forth.

I see that the Kansas governor announced that schools are now canceled for the entire remaining school year. That was brought up and rejected by the Maine education board, so once again who is right?

STAY SAFE ONE AND ALL!

--- LaRRy

Afternoon,

YOU GOT PAPER TOWELS??? {eek3} Did you have to trade away a kidney?

ONE … :rolleyes2: … well the FIRST Vaccine for COVID-19 seems to be underway and good so far with the volunteers. Still, a while away for general use.
TWO .. If you can believe the &%$#% Chinese government (ha, ha, ha) then new virus case rate is way down.
THREE .. The gas prices are way down.
FOUR … the air quality has improved since the shutdown of many polluting industries.

Still, a sucky way to achieve those goals … :redface2:

Yup, different states and each state has to do what is best .. as they see it, I guess.

However, I would be surprised that there isn't more restriction that (maybe) you don't see. For example total restrictions to nursing homes, child daycare centers and such. But as you said, each state makes its own guidelines.

With Mass showing 223 cases and Maine with 3 [these are confirmed numbers and not presumptive] I rather go with the tough restrictions as it seems to be conforming to the CDC requests to "FLATTEN THE CURVE" and most of all working. Still it is difficult, at best, to say what will worksfor Mainers, will work for Massachusetts and what will work for New Yorkers and so forth.

I see that the Kansas governor announced that schools are now canceled for the entire remaining school year. That was brought up and rejected by the Maine education board, so once again who is right?

STAY SAFE ONE AND ALL!

--- LaRRy

Larry, one correction, gas was going down regardless of Corona, the Saudis and Putin got into a pissing contest, Trump ramped up reserves, so that market was always going to the bottom short term. Also, obviously the US stock market is volatile right now, but part of the correction was coming due to previously discussed Oil price issue. Now, Corona basically is an accelerator to this whole mess regarding financial markets. Regarding polluting factories, i don't think they have necessarily stopped. The entire Texas/LA coast are clients and while they stopped outside visitors and construction, those stacks are still smoking!

TD

Taking a few minutes reprieve from speaking with financial advisors and listening to banking conference calls here is my two cents.
First of all I am a "fiscal conservative" and probably more of a social liberal but I won't be political. I have 50 years of investment
experience and business experience. I have always worked for publicly traded companies and co-founded a very large company that
traded on NASDAQ for 28 years. My company was sold to a 30 billion dollar organization and I worked with them for 5 years.
The company I founded had one of the lowest debt to equity ratios in the electronics industry and we used debt intelligently and
strategically. Today I volunteer teach at several graduate business schools and the NYC High School of Economics and Finance.
That said I don't say I am smarter or better than anyone on this forum, I just have different experiences and perceptions.

What I am expressing today is mainly for the US economy but could apply to most industrial countries.
Our government was behind the "eight ball", we should have reacted more decisively weeks ago. Other administrations have made
the same mistakes and often it is due to politics and bureaucracy.
Now we need an immediate and massive response! Some of what has been proposed and enacted by our government is good but not
enough.
We have two major goals: First to stop the spread and then cure this virus and second to prevent our economy from going into a DEPRESSION.
We are already going into a Recession which is bad enough but a Depression will change our way of life for many years to come.
I have listened to a multitude of Economists and business leaders so my ideas are not original but I have taken many strategies and combined them.
1. Pump hundreds of billions into the Health care industry. Use all resources private, government and the military. Get ready for an influx of
critically ill people. Work with the WHO and the international community to develop cohesive strategies and medications.
2. The government must make sure that anyone losing their jobs now will get a monthly stipend until the virus is under control. This includes
unemployment and sick leave but needs to be done immediately. It will cost more than one trillion dollars. NY state has already put a hold
on debt collection for college loans and health care costs. We should also allow laid off workers to take money from their IRAs and 401Ks without
penalties and pay it back whenever.
3. We need to give loans to small businesses at low or no interest rates payable over 5 to 10 years. Large corporations can get loans as well under
the stipulation that they can only be used for operations and employees benefits. No stock buy backs, no bonuses and executive benefits.
After the 2008 fiasco we bailed out certain industries and were paid back for the most part. Some companies may not deserve to be bailed out
but this is a different scenario.
4. At least a trillion dollar stimulus package for infrastructure to put people back to work.

Now I know some will say that spending up to three trillion dollars will dangerously increase our debt and bite us later. That is possible but think about
what a Depression will cost us......no comparison. With interest rates at almost zero our borrowing costs are workable. And lets remember that the
tax cuts already added over a trillion to our federal deficit when it was promised that it wouldn't.
With stringent oversight we can reduce the debt over the next ten years. It will hurt, because spending will be curtailed and taxes will go up.
There are other risks but none compare to a prolonged Depression. The great Depression in the 30's took 10 years and a World War to end it.
Unemployment was over 25% then and it could be worse now if we don't act quickly, Our Treasury Secretary has already warned us it will
probably be 20%!

Not great news but we can beat this with Draconian and strategic measures. This is a time when we must depend on government to oversee the
recovery and our leadership must be honest, focused and non-partisan.

Would love to hear other comments and suggestions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back