Favorite quotes (3 Viewers)

Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise.

Cato the Elder

Silence is foolish if we are wise, but wise if we are foolish.

Charles Caleb Colton

Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise.

Cato the Elder

Silence is foolish if we are wise, but wise if we are foolish.

Charles Caleb Colton

Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him??

Obi-Wan Kenobi :D

I thought it was master chief fro the video game Halo...
this is a great idea for a thread!
so here is one(by the way i have an almost endless supply of military quotes)

The better you dress a soldier, the more highly he will be thought of by women, and consequently by himself. - Sir Garnet Wolseley, quoted in "How Not To Do It"; A Short Sermon On The Canadian Militia, 1881

I thought it was master chief fro the video game Halo...
this is a great idea for a thread!
so here is one(by the way i have an almost endless supply of military quotes)

The better you dress a soldier, the more highly he will be thought of by women, and consequently by himself. - Sir Garnet Wolseley, quoted in "How Not To Do It"; A Short Sermon On The Canadian Militia, 1881

That's a good one- clearly the USMC was listening to that-the US Army, not so much-!!:D

I believe that Darwin basically had it right, but still Chesterton had me laughing with this: "The evolutionists seem to know everything about the missing link except the fact that it is missing."

I believe that Darwin basically had it right, but still Chesterton had me laughing with this: "The evolutionists seem to know everything about the missing link except the fact that it is missing."

:D that's funny.

My personal mantra- Demand more, achieve more- gotta believe someone else in history said that as I cannot believe I was witty enough to create that one. :)

No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master.

Hunter Thompson

No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master.

Hunter Thompson

...as in Hunter S Thompson? Interesting. Did he originate that, or merely quote an earlier source. The language has more of a 19th century sound to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Jonson

11 June 1572 – 6 August 1637

-- Ben Jonson

But don't quote me.

The serpant. the king, the tiger, the stinging wasp, the small child, the dog owned by another, and the fool:
These seven ought not to be awakened from sleep.
Chanakya
Mitch

couldn't help this one - this is for the glossy collectors...in my own twisted way of thinking.....
Soldiering would be all right if it only consisted of the band and the Mess; no ****ed men or horses. - famous words of a British cavalry officer

"You shouldn't join up if you can't take a joke". Every British squady when something goes wrong!

Martin

"Engage brain before mouth"

My dad- a retired US Army Master Sergeant- think the lesson may have been lost on me however :D:D

I often remember this quote from "Radio Days", when someone says something and I agree:

"You speak the truth, my faithful Indian companion"

(Seth Green as "Joe", to the family rabbi, played by Kenneth Mars, who has just observed, "Too much rah-dio is not goot for ze boy, eet feels his headt vit nonsense")

Prosit!
Brad

Here's a couple that I was reminded of by some recent lengthy discussions here

The truth shall set you free, but first it will make you angry.

Anger is just a cowardly extension of sadness. It's a lot easier to be angry at someone than it is to tell them you're hurt.

" Drill is a pill, take it every day to make you feel better" Foot Guards Nco.

Martin.

"Don't give me any of your cheap Rebel $#%^ !!"

Staff Sergeant Gene C. "Shorty" Lesch

My 6' 3" New England father training Southerners during WW II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back