Mel Gibson as a director (2 Viewers)

Paulo, You're right! Brazil owe Portugal its language and culture. My grandfather left Portugal in 1911, a single young man, went first to Buenos Aires - Argentina, but couldn't get used to it. Then he tried Porto Alegre - Brazil, and felt at home instantaneously! Here he got married, started his own business, and died some 50 years later, the father of six girls, including my mother. Just a little bit of my history to prove I owe Portugal too!
:)

If you ask me I prefer Machado de Assis or Erico Verissimo, not Jorge Amado, but he was a great writer as well, I have to agree.
:cool:

Cheers...

Uthred

Interesting stuff, sometimes the world is really small! I guess Portugal is to Brazil what the UK is to the US, the colonial powers started it but the final mixture is something different:D. A common language, family and cultural ties remain though.
Aquilo que eu não me vou conseguir habituar é a escrever de acordo com o novo Acordo Ortográfico Luso-Brasileiro, cá dizemos que burro velho não aprende línguas...:D.

Cheers,
Paulo

LOL
:D
We're a group of comediants who happen to collect toy soldiers, I'm sure of it!
Cheers...
Uthred
Absolutamente o gosto é ao short a ser demasiado sério. As melhores considerações meu amigo.:D Hopefully I didn't destroy the language too much.:D
By the way, do either you or Paulo have any interest in some First Legion Cacadores and their compatriots? If so, please feel free to jump in to the Spanish Ulcer thread over there.:cool:

Interesting stuff, sometimes the world is really small! I guess Portugal is to Brazil what the UK is to the US, the colonial powers started it but the final mixture is something different:D. A common language, family and cultural ties remain though.
Aquilo que eu não me vou conseguir habituar é a escrever de acordo com o novo Acordo Ortográfico Luso-Brasileiro, cá dizemos que burro velho não aprende línguas...:D.

Cheers,
Paulo

Paulo, eu também não me conformo com o acordo... tenho 2 mil livros na minha biblioteca, mais da metade em Português, e os três que escrevi e publiquei. Agora estão todos com a ortografia errada!
:mad::eek:

Cheers...

Uthred/Marcelo

Absolutamente o gosto é ao short a ser demasiado sério. As melhores considerações meu amigo.:D Hopefully I didn't destroy the language too much.:D
By the way, do either you or Paulo have any interest in some First Legion Cacadores and their compatriots? If so, please feel free to jump in to the Spanish Ulcer thread over there.:cool:

You destroyed it just a bit... Your Portuguese is better than my Javanese, anyway.

I don't collect napoleonics anymore. There are so many ranges from so many different makers, that one gets crazy trying to collect them all! Do you have any Barbarians or Vikings around?
;)

Cheers...

Uthred

You destroyed it just a bit... Your Portuguese is better than my Javanese, anyway.

I don't collect napoleonics anymore. There are so many ranges from so many different makers, that one gets crazy trying to collect them all! Do you have any Barbarians or Vikings around?
;)

Cheers...

Uthred

I do have many Conte Spartans and Persians and a few Conte Romans and Barbarians. I wasn't going to collect Napoleonics but First Legion's figures were just too tempting so now I am rather addicted. I am a huge fan of Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles and Saxon stories and would love to see First Legion or even Conte bring some of those great warriors to the medium, like Derfel, Sagramor, Tristan, Author, Ragnar, Kjartan, Finan and of course, Uthred.;):D

But I guess people must understand the movies are completely different than real life. I know some guys out there will never understand this. But do I really

Quite a profound statement,which unfortunately is not true.Could I refer you to movies such as Saving Private Ryan,The Thin Red Line,A Bridge too far,The Longest day,Gettysburg or Son of the Morning Star.All made without having to resort to fabrication or undue stereotyping.

Quite a profound statement,which unfortunately is not true.Could I refer you to movies such as Saving Private Ryan,The Thin Red Line,A Bridge too far,The Longest day,Gettysburg or Son of the Morning Star.All made without having to resort to fabrication or undue stereotyping.

I disagree, especially "A Bridge Too Far". That movie contained a good deal of stereotyping, particularly in regard to the British officers and soldiers.

I was referring to undue stereotyping.Certainly in a Bridge too far this was not the case and all the aforementioned movies were generally historically accurate.Parts of The Patriot were laughable,especially the ambush scene where a dozen or so English soldiers stood around waiting to be shot by Gibson.

I was referring to undue stereotyping.Certainly in a Bridge too far this was not the case and all the aforementioned movies were generally historically accurate.Parts of The Patriot were laughable,especially the ambush scene where a dozen or so English soldiers stood around waiting to be shot by Gibson.
To me historical accuracy is legitimately in play in any movie and some take much more license than others with varying results. I am not sure it is quite fair to say the British soldiers in the Patriot ambush scene were just standing around but certainly his success against those numbers must be taken as a bit of a leap of faith. That is hardly the first action scene with that issue but overall I think it served its purpose in advancing the theme intended. In terms of sterotyping, I would note that many other scenes in the movie show and even comment on the overwhelming superiority of the British regulars in stand up fights against the Continentals. So while the ambush scene may be taken to show poor British military competence, the movie as a whole certainly does not to me. I certainly agree with you about ABTF; but we shall likely hear why (again) it was the most unfair and unkind example of Brit bashing in recorded history.;):)

I guess that depends upon ones interpretation of "undue". Imo the movie portrayed most if not all the British as classic stiff upper-lipped tea drinkers that were more interested in the possibility of a few rounds of golf etc rather than the task in hand. Sure they were portrayed as being brave, but their deaths seemed to wasted on pointless actions.

The Americans seemed to be obliged to take control of the slow and apparently flustered British troops whilst shouting at the top of their voice. They all seemed to be angry go getting action men with Class A personalities and their deaths were seldom depicted as being wasted on pointless tasks.

Time for bed.

To broaden it out a bit there is no doubt Hollywood in general does see the Brits as the stereotype bad guy,and whilst its easy to laugh at some of it,after a while it really starts to p*** me off.I really enjoyed the film 'I am Legend',but even there the reckless scientist whose bad practice caused the whole thing....yep you guessed it Emma Thompson.The only Brit in the film,plumped down in the middle of it as the bad guy.

But my award for biggest load of ****e i've seen in a long time..goes to 'National Treasure' with Nicolas Cage (hardly an engaging actor himself).In this we are treated to a truly insulting depiction of a Brit by the clearly out of work Sean Bean,who it appears missing 'Sharpe' clearly signed up for any old dog mess of a film that landed on his kitchen table.

Don't even get me started on U571:rolleyes:

Rob

WHAT? Fictional events, strereotyping, and a biased POV in the movies? Surely you all jest? -- lancer

WHAT? Fictional events, strereotyping, and a biased POV in the movies? Surely you all jest? -- lancer

In the main, I'm pretty sure it was historically correct. Not sure about the scene when Duran Duran set up on the U boat deck and started singing 'Rio' mind....:confused::D

In the main, I'm pretty sure it was historically correct. Not sure about the scene when Duran Duran set up on the U boat deck and started singing 'Rio' mind....:confused::D
That scene must be accurate, otherwise I would question the accuracy of Gen. Lee singing and clapping at the USO show in "Gods and Generals". -- lancer

I do have many Conte Spartans and Persians and a few Conte Romans and Barbarians. I wasn't going to collect Napoleonics but First Legion's figures were just too tempting so now I am rather addicted. I am a huge fan of Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles and Saxon stories and would love to see First Legion or even Conte bring some of those great warriors to the medium, like Derfel, Sagramor, Tristan, Author, Ragnar, Kjartan, Finan and of course, Uthred.;):D

As you must have guessed I am myself a HUGE fan of Mr. Cornwell's books, specially The Warlord and Saxon Chronicles.

I heard this fine gentlemen was inspired by Uthred of Bebbanburg:

DeathDealerCONTE1.jpg

Who knows?
:cool:

Cheers...

Uthred

That was an awesome film mate. It is the one where Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran capture a U boat isn't it? ;)

Thats right mate,then Geri Halliwell jumps on a London Bus and drives to Berlin,where after a Romance with Herman the German she teaches Himmler that underneath our clothes we are all the same and we should all be friends.The only poor part of the film is where Posh Spice climbs to the top of the Reichstag and sings 'We are the world';)

Rob

To broaden it out a bit there is no doubt Hollywood in general does see the Brits as the stereotype bad guy,and whilst its easy to laugh at some of it,after a while it really starts to p*** me off.I really enjoyed the film 'I am Legend',but even there the reckless scientist whose bad practice caused the whole thing....yep you guessed it Emma Thompson.The only Brit in the film,plumped down in the middle of it as the bad guy.

But my award for biggest load of ****e i've seen in a long time..goes to 'National Treasure' with Nicolas Cage (hardly an engaging actor himself).In this we are treated to a truly insulting depiction of a Brit by the clearly out of work Sean Bean,who it appears missing 'Sharpe' clearly signed up for any old dog mess of a film that landed on his kitchen table.

Don't even get me started on U571:rolleyes:

Rob

Rob, about Emma Thompson and others, never mind, it just shows once again that British actors are the best and the American studios surely know that and act accordingly...

Paulo

Thats right mate,then Geri Halliwell jumps on a London Bus and drives to Berlin,where after a Romance with Herman the German she teaches Himmler that underneath our clothes we are all the same and we should all be friends.The only poor part of the film is where Posh Spice climbs to the top of the Reichstag and sings 'We are the world';)

Rob

I seriously doubt the historical accuracy of that particular scene. But maybe I am wrong...
:D:p:D

Cheers...

Uthred

Rob, about Emma Thompson and others, never mind, it just shows once again that British actors are the best and the American studios surely know that and act accordingly...

Paulo

Thats a good point actually mate,i must confess i hadn't looked at it like that!

Cheers

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back