Mlb 2024 (1 Viewer)

Pete Rose was guilty of one thing, he got caught. I'm sure there are many HOFers that did just as bad if not worse than him. Bottom line is he was a huge plus for baseball. Even murderers are suppose to get a second chance.
Mark

Pete Rose was guilty of one thing, he got caught. I'm sure there are many HOFers that did just as bad if not worse than him. Bottom line is he was a huge plus for baseball. Even murderers are suppose to get a second chance.
Mark
Every player knows that if they bet on baseball they would be suspended for life so I don’t think many, if any, did this. It’s the cardinal rule you can’t violate. His legacy is thus checkered. If he couldn’t be admitted during his lifetime he shouldn’t be admitted ever. If you’re going to make an exception, then you better let in Shoeless Joe Jackson. He was his own worst enemy.

I'm just as sure many did. Shoeless Joe threw games, It has never been alleged that Rose ever did anything to effect a game. You saying that a great ballplayer should never be allowed in is just wrong.
Mark

I'm just as sure many did. Shoeless Joe threw games, It has never been alleged that Rose ever did anything to effect a game. You saying that a great ballplayer should never be allowed in is just wrong.
Mark
If you’re “just as sure many did,” then name them. If you can’t do that, there is no foundation for that statement. He was a great ballplayer who bet on baseball. You just can’t do that and you know it. Hopefully he will never be taken off the ineligible list.

There is "cheating" which has a direct effect on the game and "misconduct" which is some type of off the field act. Cheating is something like stealing signs, taking steroids, or filming practices. Misconduct is being involved in a crime. Cheating is the more serious offense in terms of the integrity of the sport. There is scant evidence that Rose's gambling influenced his play. Otherwise, I think Rose falls into the misconduct category and he was sufficiently punished by being kept out of the HOF during his lifetime. MLB will eventually put him in there. It might be a few more years but it will happen. The hypocrisy of profiting from sports gambling including relentlessly promoting it in ads and punishing Rose is too much to sustain. If nothing else, the sports gambling industry has significant influence now.

There is "cheating" which has a direct effect on the game and "misconduct" which is some type of off the field act. Cheating is something like stealing signs, taking steroids, or filming practices. Misconduct is being involved in a crime. Cheating is the more serious offense in terms of the integrity of the sport. There is scant evidence that Rose's gambling influenced his play. Otherwise, I think Rose falls into the misconduct category and he was sufficiently punished by being kept out of the HOF during his lifetime. MLB will eventually put him in there. It might be a few more years but it will happen. The hypocrisy of profiting from sports gambling including relentlessly promoting it in ads and punishing Rose is too much to sustain. If nothing else, the sports gambling industry has significant influence now.
He was betting on games while he was the manager of the Reds, he'd bet either for or against his team, the team he was managing.

The fact that people want to excuse this behavior slays me; how do we know he did or did not hold out a certain pitcher or a player in a game he bet on?

He was betting on games while he was the manager of the Reds, he'd bet either for or against his team, the team he was managing.

The fact that people want to excuse this behavior slays me; how do we know he did or did not hold out a certain pitcher or a player in a game he bet on?
On top of that he lied about it. Only in 2004 did he admit to it. On top of that the stress of the investigation no doubt indirectly caused Giamatti’s death.

I wonder what the betting odds are that Rose gets in? LOL.

If you’re “just as sure many did,” then name them. If you can’t do that, there is no foundation for that statement. He was a great ballplayer who bet on baseball. You just can’t do that and you know it. Hopefully he will never be taken off the ineligible list.
No I can't name them because they didn't get caught but if you think that Rose is the only ballplayer that ever bet on games is just being naive.
Mark

Well, the LET'S GO O'S!! are gone.

Ten post season losses in a row, they scored a whopping 1 run in two games.

Adios.

And buh bye to the Astros, no ALCS for them this year.

And the Braves are down 5-1 in a must win game, good thing they made that Sale trade.

Gee, when the Mets were down 5-3 late in a playoff game, I thought for sure they'd pull it out and win it 6-5...............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back