My JJD Inter-War Aviation Collection (3 Viewers)

Thank you very much for sharing this web site Moe. I must echo Al's comments . . . . great photos of the SARA and her F4b's . . . Alos found 1943 photo of SARA with Hellcats and a TBM Avenger on her flight deck . . . . Gotta just luv the Avenger . . .
:smile2: Mie

Feeling your pain, Mike. While you're waiting for the new releases, check out this website:

https://www.history.navy.mil/

Lot's of great, high-resolution pics on hand.

For instance, search for "Hellcat."

Not only will you see a lot of nice pics of planes, but some great personnel shots as well.

While I was browsing pics of CV-3, I came across some more images of planes launching over Saratoga's stern:

View attachment 225370

As I mentioned, the above pics come in a high-res version. After downloading the image, you can zoom in on the subject. This is what I gleaned from the pic above:

View attachment 225371

Closer inspection indicates that it's Jenkins' own, Black 10.:cool:

Here's another pic of Sara, again launching planes over here stern:

View attachment 225372

This time, we see what I suspect is Yellow 16 from VF-6:

View attachment 225373

Why, Yellow 16? Well, we know that it's a sections leaders plane, and the cowling is light enough in color as to likely be painted yellow. It could *possibly* be from the Blue or Green sections, but it really does appear to be much too light for that to be the case. Remember, the tail is painted white.

Finally, here's a pic of an F4B-1 taking off from Lexington:

View attachment 225374

Thought that would be a nice inspiration pic for a B&W photo!:D

Anyway, keep the faith. The new releases will be along before you know it (or I can afford it ;)).

-Moe

I always get a kick out of seeing those big 8" guns on a carrier. Chris

Bw7.jpg

View attachment 224267

Hi Mike,

Along with the pics above, I think that I found another piece of "The Professionals" puzzle on the Navy site that I linked our readers to yesterday:

Forum Turrets Downsized.jpg

The original pic was rendered in a 6k x 4k TIF file. I cropped it and reduced the size to post it here, but there's still plenty of data in my file, perhaps 4k x 3k. That view sure does remind me of Dietz' watercolor!:D

-Moe

Continuing to experiment with my camera in manual mode using the aperture setting while waiting on the arrival of IWA-18N 6-figure set of carrier deck crew walking . . . these should arrive any day now . . .
:smile2: Mike

DSC_0001 (1024x526).jpg

DSC_0002 (1024x708).jpg

DSC_0005 (1024x544).jpg

JJD IWA-18N Flight Deck Crew Walking, 6-figure set arrived on board the SARA this afternoon. SARA's deck is starting to look very active . . . .

DSC_0001 (1024x441).jpg

DSC_0002 (1024x488).jpg

DSC_0003 (1024x531).jpg

Last edited:
A lot of thought and for that matter, expense, has gone into your carrier layouts, but well worth it Mike given how they have turned out. I think this how John may have envisioned what could be achieved with his creations. Really nice. Robin.

A lot of thought and for that matter, expense, has gone into your carrier layouts, but well worth it Mike given how they have turned out. I think this how John may have envisioned what could be achieved with his creations. Really nice. Robin.

Thank you very much for your kind comments Robin. I am really enjoying putting this display together. From the photos when this range was first announced, it appears that there are at least 12 more figures to be released, 4 each of the red, blue, and green shirts. I would also like to see at least one Deck Officer (white shirt), some brown shirts (Plane Captains), and some walking Pilots released for this and the WWII Carrier ranges . . .

Mike, that second pic knocks it out of the park for me. I'm gearing up more for the BH aspect but your pics of the Sara are really great. Chris

Mike, that second pic knocks it out of the park for me. I'm gearing up more for the BH aspect but your pics of the Sara are really great. Chris

Thanks Chris . . . I am working on both the SARA and the BH carrier displays . . . . Hoping the Corsair is released soon . . . .

Mike, those are some great pics that you've posted. BTW, I was noticing that some of the deck modules are getting a little scare. Glad that we got ours already!^&grin

-Moe

Mike, those are some great pics that you've posted. BTW, I was noticing that some of the deck modules are getting a little scare. Glad that we got ours already!^&grin

-Moe

Thank you Moe . . . . You are absolutely right. The deck modules were a challenge for me to collect also, especially the IWA modules. I have 6 of the IWA modules and 6 of the BH modules and had to really search to find them before December. I finally found the last two IWA modules I needed on eBay. Most suppliers still have the IWA modules listed as on back order. I am really glad to have mine now and have a large portion of the collecting expense for these ranges behind me . . . .

Last edited:
It strikes me that these wonderful F4B's and attendant deck crews of the 'Brown Shoe' Navy would be well served with some pilots on foot, either walking to or running to man these aircraft as they sit on the carrier decks. Perhaps a group of pilots in a final 'on-deck' briefing, around the flight or squadron leader, with maps, plotting boards, etc. Just a thought. -- Al

It strikes me that these wonderful F4B's and attendant deck crews of the 'Brown Shoe' Navy would be well served with some pilots on foot, either walking to or running to man these aircraft as they sit on the carrier decks. Perhaps a group of pilots in a final 'on-deck' briefing, around the flight or squadron leader, with maps, plotting boards, etc. Just a thought. -- Al

I totally agree Al and I have mentioned the same in previous posts. Besides pilot figures, flight deck officer figures (white shirts), and plane captains (brown shirts) would also be nice to see developed.

For those of you who do not have the bases yet - Good News!
The BH bases are expected to be restocked in March and the IWA bases are now available again! I will be ordering those in again with the New Releases so if you want multiple of the Carrier Bases please do place an order so I can source in enough for everyone.

Julie

The new JJD IWA-19N "Flight Deck Crew" 6-figure set arrived at my doorstep this afternoon . . . . The deck of my USS Saratoga is really becoming very active . . . .

DSC_0007 (1024x449).jpg

DSC_0008 (1024x512).jpg

DSC_0012 (1024x552).jpg

DSC_0013 (1024x455).jpg

DSC_0006 (1024x373).jpg

A couple more of the SARA's deck activity . . . .

DSC_0014 (1024x515).jpg

DSC_0015 (1024x753).jpg

Busy busy Mike. Hoping the boat can take all this weight. Appears it is in danger of sinking or at least your bank balance is.^&grin, Robin.

Busy busy Mike. Hoping the boat can take all this weight. Appears it is in danger of sinking or at least your bank balance is.^&grin, Robin.

Thanks Robin . . . The SARA is staying afloat just fine . . . . as you have surmised, its my bank balance that's floundering in the high seas of TS finance :tongue:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back