My JJD Inter-War Aviation Collection (1 Viewer)

Really sharp looking display, Mike. RW looks very nice. My section leader due tomorrow and fingers are crossed.:wink2: -- Al

Thank you Al . . . I am sure you are excited with the anticipated arrival of your section leader IWA-10 . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Thank you Al . . . I am sure you are excited with the anticipated arrival of your section leader IWA-10 . . . .
Mike, sorry I typed in the wrong name. I REALLY need to proofread.:redface2: -- Al

Mike, sorry I typed in the wrong name. I REALLY need to proofread.:redface2: -- Al

LOL . . . . No need to apologize Al. I knew who you meant and I also know that you and Moe correspond a lot . . . force of habit . . . . made me chuckle . . . .

Mike

Is your plane in khaki rather than the light gray that was shown in release photos? Or was it the lighting?

Randy

Attachments

• DSC_0030 (1280x953).jpg
    DSC_0030 (1280x953).jpg
    647.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IWA11b.jpg
    IWA11b.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 111
Mike

Is your plane in khaki rather than the light gray that was shown in release photos? Or was it the lighting?

Randy

Randy, Both planes are in light gray . . . . . I took these pics without a flash and the ambient lighting gave them a khaki hue . . . . Look at posting #15, #16, and #17 of this thread for a better pictures of the plane color . . . Better yet, see pics below . . . .

Last edited:
Here are a couple of pics using a flash . . . .

DSC_0035 (1280x616).jpg

DSC_0036 (1280x622).jpg

Mt F4B section leader made a perfect 3-point landing today and I must say it is beautiful, better than I hoped. It is every bit the detailed and colorful model I expect from JJD, with a good, solid feel to it. I have no carrier deck yet, so this yellow wing beauty will sit next to my Boeing P-26 of the 34th Pursuit Squadron until the 'Sara' makes port. I am thrilled with it. -- Al

Fighter Squadron Six's (VF-6B) Section 4 leader approaching the deck of the USS Saratoga (CV-3) for a landing . . . . In the 4th and 5th photos, I attempted to keep the propeller spinning which takes a lot of coordinationand and speed . . . . spin the propeller and then quickly focus camera on subjwect and take the pic before the propeller stops . . . .

DSC_0038 (1280x564).jpg

DSC_0039 (1280x715).jpg

DSC_0040 (1280x880).jpg

DSC_0041 (1280x790).jpg

DSC_0042 (1280x891).jpg

Fighter Squadron Six's (VF-6B) Section 4 leader approaching the deck of the USS Saratoga (CV-3) for a landing . . . . In the 4th and 5th photos, I attempted to keep the propeller spinning which takes a lot of coordinationand and speed . . . . spin the propeller and then quickly focus camera on subjwect and take the pic before the propeller stops . . . .

Better get that nose up, Mister!:eek:;)

-Moe

Last edited:
And, the hits just keep on coming...:wink2:

Plane is a Boeing F2B.

-Moe

Neat film clip. Did you notice that the first couple of aircraft launched were USMC? ^&cool -- Al

There were two USMC air wings in 1939, Atlantic and Pacific. All the pilots were carrier qualified, and they served as what amounted to a reserve to the Navy squadrons (in addition to their shore duties). The F3F-2 at the Naval Aviation Museum was actually lost at sea while assigned to a Marine squadron attached to Saratoga in 1940.it was recovered decades later from the waters off San Diego and restored to its original USMC livery:

8098224327_aaa9383d14_z.jpg

F3F.jpg

Grumman_F3F-2_Flying_Barrel%2C_Naval_Aviation_Museum%2C_Pensacola%2C_Florida.jpg

-Moe

Last edited:
Mike,
You continue to impress with your JJD Inter-war sets ... and setup!
Very innovative using the stand to simulate a imminent carrier landing .... like that!!!!

Keep em' coming, Sir.

--- LaRRy

Neat video clips Moe . . . . . Shows more of possibilities that John could deliver to the deck plates of the SARA . . . . .

Mike,
You continue to impress with your JJD Inter-war sets ... and setup!
Very innovative using the stand to simulate a imminent carrier landing .... like that!!!!

Keep em' coming, Sir.

--- LaRRy

Why thank you Larry . . . .

Here are a few more pics of my F4B-4 Section Leader making his landing approach onto the Saratoga . . . . .

DSC_0038 (1280x642).jpg

DSC_0039 (1280x772).jpg

DSC_0040 (1280x996).jpg

IWA-12 F4B-4, Section 4 Left Wingman landed on the deck of my USS Saratoga display this past Thursday afternoon. Was gone for the weekend visiting family and this is the first chance I have had to take some photos of it as it made its approached to the SARA. My Fighter Squadron Six (VF-6B), Section 4 is now complete. Now all that is needed is the deck crew figures to help service and prep these beautiful Navy Yellow Wings . . . .

DSC_0047 (1280x759).jpg

DSC_0048 (1280x573).jpg

DSC_0049 (1280x832).jpg

DSC_0050 (1280x617).jpg

DSC_0051 (1280x627).jpg

Very nice, Mike. I'm kind of partial to the left-wingman's aircraft because I like the cowling with the gray on top and black on the bottom. I like the right-wingman just fine, but the little oddity of the gray top cowling just grabs me for some reason. Really net to see them all together. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back