My JJD Inter-War Aviation Collection (2 Viewers)

Mike,

That setup looks like it's going to great. I can't wait to see your progress in completing it. From the look of it, you should have plenty of room for planes.

I wonder if John contemplates making a bridge for the landing deck. That would be a great addition.

Brad

Thank you very much Brad . . . This arrangement will give me room for a good number of Pre-war and WWII carrier based airplanes. Working on it a little bit this morning prepping it for primer. I won't decide on a final color until after the Chicago show where I hope to be able to get Johns BH-100, BH-200, and BH-300 WWII carrier deck plates. I'll use the color of the deck plates to decide on a complimentary color for the plywood topper. As far as John offering a carrier bridge structure, I think that would be a huge undertaking and would require a lot of display room unless perhaps it is offered as a partial facade. Even as a facade it would take up a lot of linear space on a dio table . . . . See you in Chicago . . . . Best . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Larry, have you seen K&C new carrier operations dio featuring their new TBM Avenger? It will be on display at teh Chicago show next week . . . . It is an awesome looking model. The Avenger torpedo bomber is my all time favorite WWII carrier based airplane. Looking forward to seeing it . . . .

No, I haven't seen it but George, Minutemen also just told me about it.{sm3}
How did I miss that?{eek3}

Is it on TreeFrog or did you see it in a flyer?

--- LaRRy

--- LaRRy
The TBF appears on George's Facebook page. -- Al

Larry, like Al said, that's where I saw it yesterday. Here's a link . . .

https://www.facebook.com/MinutemenT...347294988362/1484347094988382/?type=3&theater

The TBF appears on George's Facebook page. -- Al

Yes, I just saw that.

Imagine that, my good friend George knew about this for a month and never told a soul. :redface2:
That is more will power than I have.

As Will Smith says in the movie, "July 4th, Independence Day"; I GOTTA' get me one of these!!!{sm4} {sm4}

--- LaRRy

--- LaRRy

LaRRy, is KC's Avenger polystone or wood?:confused:

-Moe

-Moe
That's the million dollar question, Moe. From the photos, it looked like wood to me. The panel lines on the fuselage and wings, plus the sheen of the paint didn't look like a polystone finish to me. But that's JMO from the one photo. -- Al

-Moe

My guess is Polystone. ... but I just saw this today and haven't spoken to George or anyone yet.

BUT ... given:

The 4 Japanese Carrier planes were polystone (JN01, JN09, JN14, JN42)
The Japanese ground based plane was polystone (JN16)
The Boyington Black Sheep Corsair was polystone (AF032)
The P40 Tomahawk was polystone (AF041)
The US Navy Corsair was polystone (USN023) ... my guess would be polystone.

However, I never ever try to predict Andy or K&C strategies ... so your guess is as good as mine.

--- LaRRy

Other than some minor touching up, I have finished painting my display table for my Pre-War and WWII Aircraft Carrier Operations collection. I painted the back sideboards with Sherwin Williams #9049 "Skyfall" to represent the horizon. The table top was painted with Sherwin Williams #9150 "Endless Sea" to represent the waters of the Pacific Ocean. "Endless Sea" is a little bit lighter in shade than the WWII Carrier Deck plates BH-100, 200, & 300 making a nice contrast. I also painted the "Endless Sea" color with a semi-gloss paint in order to enhance a "wet look". As soon as everything is thoroughly dry I will post some photos of the "SARA" and "BH" deck plates as I initially intend to display them . . . . .

DSC_0020 (1024x549).jpg

DSC_0021 (1024x652).jpg

Nice, Mike! The Jenkins' deck(s) ought to look great on it.

-Moe

Nice, Mike! The Jenkins' deck(s) ought to look great on it.

-Moe

Thanks Moe . . . . The JJD WWII carrier decks are just a little darker, but are about the same tone of blue . . . . There should be a very nice but subtle contrast between the deck plates and any portion of the table top that is exposed . . . . Of course there will be a stark contrast with "SARA's" deck . . . . . . The paint should be dry enough by tomorrow for me to place the carrier decks on it along with my F4B-4. In the upcoming week I am expecting to receive IWA-11 F4B-4 right wing man and deck plates IWA-300 and IWA-400 . . . . . .

Re: My JJD Pre-War and WWII Aircraft Carrier Operations Collection

Can't wait for the release of this WWII bird . . . . In the meantime, I was told at the CTSS that John is going to release another iconic US Navy carrier plane before the Corsair's release . . . . Oh the possibilities . . . .

DSC_0023 (1280x694).jpg

DSC_0024 (1280x1207) (1024x966).jpg

DSC_0025 (1280x994).jpg

Mike, I like the way you cut inlets around the light switches. It says "I am a permanent display and I ain't going anywhere, except to 'Launch Aircraft!' ". :wink2:^&grin -- Al

Mike, I like the way you cut inlets around the light switches. It says "I am a permanent display and I ain't going anywhere, except to 'Launch Aircraft!' ". :wink2:^&grin -- Al

Truth of the matter is that I overlooked the light switches altogether :redface2:. Once I had everything assembled and tried to slide it into place is when I discovered that the light switches were slightly in the way. Oh well, that's what jig saws were made for. If I had it to do over again, which is not going to happen, I would have made the back panels an inch shorter. Getting close to launch time . . . .

Mike, your display is shaping up very nicely. Looking forward to seeing the final version. Chris

Well my Carrier Operations display area is finished . . . Now all I have to do is concentrate on collecting all of John's wonderful carrier aviation offerings. I will be adding 4 more "SARA" deck plates and 3 more of the "BH" deck plates. That will make each deck platform approximately 30-inches square . . . . .

DSC_0022 (1024x455).jpg

DSC_0023 (1024x754).jpg

DSC_0025 (1024x645).jpg

DSC_0026 (1024x621).jpg

DSC_0027 (1024x735).jpg

Well my Carrier Operations display area is finished . . . Now all I have to do is concentrate on collecting all of John's wonderful carrier aviation offerings. I will be adding 4 more "SARA" deck plates and 3 more of the "BH" deck plates. That will make each deck platform approximately 30-inches square . . . . .

View attachment 219855

Hi Mike,

I edited a Hellcat out of this picture so that it could be used as a backdrop with the blue-deck modules:

Essex Island JPG 1500.jpg

It's just a JPG, and can be resized in MS Paint as required or desired. You're welcome to print one out if you like.

-Moe

Hi Mike,

I edited a Hellcat out of this picture so that it could be used as a backdrop with the blue-deck modules:

View attachment 219863

It's just a JPG, and can be resized in MS Paint as required or desired. You're welcome to print one out if you like.

-Moe

Wow! Thanks Moe . . . . . Nicely done . . . . Thank you . . . .

Wow! Thanks Moe . . . . . Nicely done . . . . Thank you . . . .

You're welcome, Mike. Hey, though, we need Jenkins to start releasing figures so that we can populate those decks!:D

-Moe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back