Nfl 2012 season!!!! (5 Viewers)

George, I am not backing off the Patriots/Ravens prediction. So they both laid an egg this week. Big deal. The Giants lost four in a row last year, then barely beat the Cowboys, then laid an egg against the Red Skins, but went on a tear and won the Superbowl. Why? Because they had a quality quarterback (who is no where near as good as Brady), two good receivers (Nicks and Cruz) and one good tightend (Your Patriots have Welker, Gronkowski and Hernandez, I'd call that a wash), and a defense that got healthy and played well down the stretch. Your defense is worlds better than it was last year, and, if your O laid an egg today, I expect they will be just fine.

Same with the Ravens, they played like crap against a very talented Eagles team (which also looked pretty bad) and only lost by one point. Only the Texans and maybe the Broncos have any chance of knocking off the Patriots or Ravens in the AFC playoffs, and I think Brady and the Ravens D will get by them.

I am much happier this week and I wouldn't count the Steelers out just yet. Heck I figure we can only get better if we can ever get to full strength. Played again this week without 2 super starters on defense and the second half we looked pretty good. Still have lots of work to do offensively, but at least we put TD's on the board today in place of all the field goals that cost us the first week. As for the officiating, they killed us too, but at the end of the day, that is what it is. The regular refs are not much better, they for the most part know the rules better, but still blow a lot of the same calls.

Just my 2 cents.

TD

I am much happier this week and I wouldn't count the Steelers out just yet. Heck I figure we can only get better if we can ever get to full strength. Played again this week without 2 super starters on defense and the second half we looked pretty good. Still have lots of work to do offensively, but at least we put TD's on the board today in place of all the field goals that cost us the first week. As for the officiating, they killed us too, but at the end of the day, that is what it is. The regular refs are not much better, they for the most part know the rules better, but still blow a lot of the same calls.

Just my 2 cents.

TD

I agree with you that the regular refs are not that big an improvement over the replacements, they all blow calls right and left. Here's a thought. How about real, full time professional refs, with big saleries and big accountability? Get younger guys, who are tested on the rule book every season (so you don't get idiot explanations that a casual fan knows are incorrect) and are tested on physical fitness and eyesight (so they can keep up with the plays and be in position to make the right call) and who get a certain number of blown calls per season before they are out of the NFL. The league only makes like 6 trillion dollars a year, you think they could afford full time refs, instead of lawyers and insurance salesmen who work part time for the league like the present situation. On the plus side, at least you have automatic replay review of all scoring plays and change of possession plays, so they have a second chance to get it right.

In baseball, there is only very limited replay on home runs, and the umpires regularly blow calls (I unofficially keep track of close plays in the games I watch, and in my experience, replay demonstrates that on truly close plays its really about 50-50 right/wrong. You could literally flip a coin heads safe, tails out and get the close calls right about as often as the umpires) and the idiots think people come to watch them make strike calls and punch people out. Frankly, I would get rid of all of the umpires, and replace them with retired players, AL retirees umpiring NL games and visa versa, to avoid a conflict of interest, so younger guys with the eyes good enough to actually hit major league pitching were making the calls.

The Rams seem to be back from the dead. Jeff Fisher had them playing with attitude and even winning a chippy game from the Skins. The Rams were awful last year. I read something like they scored TDs on only 8% of their red zone possessions last season. Unbelievable. It's a miracle Sam Bradford is still alive after the beating he took last season. RGIII looks like the real deal for the Skins. He's playing like a veteran with a young guy's body. But can he overcome the curse of Dan "Scrooge" Snyder which has brought down many a great player and coach before him?

The Rams seem to be back from the dead. Jeff Fisher had them playing with attitude and even winning a chippy game from the Skins. The Rams were awful last year. I read something like they scored TDs on only 8% of their red zone possessions last season. Unbelievable. It's a miracle Sam Bradford is still alive after the beating he took last season. RGIII looks like the real deal for the Skins. He's playing like a veteran with a young guy's body. But can he overcome the curse of Dan "Scrooge" Snyder which has brought down many a great player and coach before him?

It,s been a miserable last few years here in St louis in regards to Rams football.
But I know the real inside reason for the Rams early success, my granddaughter is a St Louis Rams Cheerleader!
Gary

Well, once again the Redskins put up a lot of points, 31 (making 99 in 3 games), but lost because, once again, they gave up more, 38 (101 in the same 3 games. Now, RG3 and the offense are doing good work but I don't like our chances if we have to score 40 points in order to win. The pass defense is non-exsistent. The Skins are 31st in the NFL in passing defense (313 net per game), which just isn't going to cut it. Combined with the run, they are yielding 405 yards a game. Just terrible. RG3 is a bright spot (111.6 rating) but he doesn't play defense and can't score if the other team has the ball. If this is what the defense is going to be this year, we'll be lucky to get 4-5 wins, total. -- Al

What a weekend for the NFL, the all world 49'ers lose to the Vikings, the 0-2 Raiders beat the Steelers, the chiefs beat the Saints, crazy back and forth games all over the place, and finished with my Ravens winning over the Pats!! this is going to be a interesting year no doubt...Sammy

What a weekend for the NFL, the all world 49'ers lose to the Vikings, the 0-2 Raiders beat the Steelers, the chiefs beat the Saints, crazy back and forth games all over the place, and finished with my Ravens winning over the Pats!! this is going to be a interesting year no doubt...Sammy
Was a great win for the Ravens but I had a hard time watching this game because of the terrible officiating. Both teams had problems because of the officials. It seemed to me that the zebras were making the wrong type calls, ie., picking on the pitti-pat crap, instead of what was important. Just my percepton. Some of the interference/illegal contact calls were real borderline and some of the personal foul calls were questionable, too. The games are becoming more about outlasting the bad calls than beating the other team. :mad: -- Al

Was a great win for the Ravens but I had a hard time watching this game because of the terrible officiating. Both teams had problems because of the officials. It seemed to me that the zebras were making the wrong type calls, ie., picking on the pitti-pat crap, instead of what was important. Just my percepton. Some of the interference/illegal contact calls were real borderline and some of the personal foul calls were questionable, too. The games are becoming more about outlasting the bad calls than beating the other team. :mad: -- Al

Your spot on Al, 14 penalties on Ravens, 10 on the Pats, it's getting beyond ridiculous on some of these calls, Ed Reed gives a perfect form shoulder tackle hit and completely puts the pats reciever on his *** but gets a penalty??:mad: lots of bad calls all over the league, I'm still pissed about the Eagle game, but glad we got a win last nite, the games now seem to be more concentrated on how bad the calls go versus the game itself, if the NFL doesn't get this ref contract thing done they will have to put a asteric* beside the Superbowl winner:)...Sammy

It's all about the $ and the stadiums are packed so the owners have no incentive to bargain. GO RAVENS! ^&grin Chris

I was stunned to see the Vikings score. When the season started I expected 4 wins and we're halfway there. Maybe 8-8 isn't out of the realm of possibility!

I'd have watched the game, but this pesky thing called a toy show got in the way...

I was stunned to see the Vikings score. When the season started I expected 4 wins and we're halfway there. Maybe 8-8 isn't out of the realm of possibility!

I'd have watched the game, but this pesky thing called a toy show got in the way...
Heck of an upset. Ponder was outstanding. {bravo}} -- Al

Great win for the Ravens.

Good God, where do I begin with this one?

Not in the habit of blaming the refs, but that was BEYOND A DOUBT THE WORST GAME I'VE EVER SEEN.

Edelman gets called for offensive pass interference while he's getting mauled, instead of first and goal on the 9, it's 3rd and 21, field goal instead of touchdown.

Oher held Jones ALL NIGHT LONG, HE ALSO TACKLED NICKOVICH ON A BLITZ, NO CALL.

Smith pushed off on a touchdown catch, no call.

Ray Lewis mugged Gronkowski all night long beyond 5 yards, no calls.

McCourty got called not once, but twice on phantom pass interference calls.

And that field goal was not good,not even close.

And that's just scratching the surface.

So did 6 Ravens fans kidnap the refs and suit up in their place Sammy?

I am officially done watching the NFL this year until the real refs are brought back.

D-O-N-E, not going to waste another Sunday.

I called today on the way home from Chicago and cancelled the NFL Network, the NFL is not getting a dime of my money the rest of the year no matter what.

The fans around the league should pick a week and do a "wildcat no show" to every game that week, show up and tailgate, burn their tickets in the parking lot and not a single fan go into a single stadium all around the league.

Like Chris said, as long as the fans show up, the owners will fiddle while the entire league burns.

Ed Reed gives a perfect form shoulder tackle hit and completely puts the pats reciever on his *** but gets a penalty??:mad: ...Sammy

Seriously?

Which hit are you referring to Sammy; the cheap shot forearm shiver to Endelman in the end zone that was not flagged, or the forearm/lowered helmet cheap shot on Branch that was called?

In case you missed it, the NFL no longer allows forearm shivers to the head or leading with the crown of the helmet.

If Reed does not get fined for either/both, I'd be shocked.

The Packers just got screwed on some of the worst officiating I've seen -- and I'm not even a Packer fan. Why bother have referees. This has to be the ultimate disgrace.

They're making the Packers to come out and defend the PAT. I would absolutely tell them to stick it.

it's all about the money...and not that much money for the most profitable sport in America...

the NFL, despite being the most successful and most profitable sports league in the United States at the moment, pays their referees far less than any of the rest of the big four. The average starting salary for a first year NFL official is $78,000 – certainly a great deal for a part time job. But compare that to the starting salary for, say, an MLB umpire --$120,000 a year. That's about as much as a ten year NFL veteran referee makes. NBA and NHL refs similarly make six figure salaries from the start. Of course, you could argue that they officiate dozens, if not hundreds, of games a year, while the NFL ref will top out at about twenty – a fair point. Yet, this doesn't stop Peyton Manning from making more money than Alex Rodriguez, despite the difference in workload. The NFL is offering a five-to-eleven percent raise for its officials, but that still leaves them trailing behind their counterparts significantly. They want to pay their officials part time wages while still holding them to the same standards of their full-time counterparts.

please bring them back...

The Packers just got screwed on some of the worst officiating I've seen -- and I'm not even a Packer fan. Why bother have referees. This has to be the ultimate disgrace.

Wow. When I woke up this morning and saw the replay, I was just appalled. I thought the regular officials were bad, but these replacements are the worst. And I also am not a Packers fan. And this follows up the abysmal officiating in the Patriots-Ravens game. The league is really showing its true colors. All their lip service to the safety of the players and the integrity of the shield is b.s. - its all about squeezing every last dollar out of the bazillion-dollar league income.:mad:

Just woke up and I see the latest travesty perpetrated by the NFL and their 'amateur hour' officials. Ouestion: when is an interception ruled to be a TD for the opposition? Answer: when 'amateur hour' officials are allowed to make the call. :rolleyes2::mad: How long is the NFL going to let this go on and why doesn't the NFL have full time officials like every other major sports league? This is a disgrace. -- Al

OMG...The Packers got robbed unmerciful!!!

They're making the Packers to come out and defend the PAT. I would absolutely tell them to stick it.

Wow. When I woke up this morning and saw the replay, I was just appalled. I thought the regular officials were bad, but these replacements are the worst. And I also am not a Packers fan. And this follows up the abysmal officiating in the Patriots-Ravens game. The league is really showing its true colors. All their lip service to the safety of the players and the integrity of the shield is b.s. - its all about squeezing every last dollar out of the bazillion-dollar league income.:mad:

Just woke up and I see the latest travesty perpetrated by the NFL and their 'amateur hour' officials. Ouestion: when is an interception ruled to be a TD for the opposition? Answer: when 'amateur hour' officials are allowed to make the call. :rolleyes2::mad: How long is the NFL going to let this go on and why doesn't the NFL have full time officials like every other major sports league? This is a disgrace. -- Al

You can just imagine how us Wisconsin fans feel . . . . absolutely the worst officiating I have ever seen . . . . . my wife is even livid. The Packers won theat game but the officials took it away from them . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back