Stalingrad 1942-43 (2 Viewers)

December 1942,

A T-34 pauses during defensive operations to halt "Unternehmen Wintergewitter" (the German effort to relieve Stalingrad)

2012_9_3_DSC_0013_small.jpg

2012_9_3_DSC_0013b_small.jpg

Frank

Absolutely beautiful set up Frank, any chance we colud see the winter Panzer taking on the T-34 with your winter back ground I'm sure it would look great...Sammy

Thanks guys!

Joe, this picture is a composite of two pictures, the foreground which includes JG Miniatures snow and the FL T-34 and a background image which includes the ground further back, the trees and the sky.

This is just one of the methods I use in creating scenes. Other methods include using traditional backdrops (background picture) together with a variety of dio elements and creating scenes that don't require a background at all (i.e. dio elements such as a building fill the frame, photograph at a downward angle so the ground fills the frame etc.)

This particular picture is a bit of a retread as I did a similar one about a year and a half ago with the winter Pz.III.

Frank

Frank,

Thank you for all the information and tips about the elements and techniques employed w/ this stellar image. One thing that I didn't mention prior is that you've really conveyed a sensation of "frozen crispness" (for lack of a better description) in the winter air.
I had no idea all of those trees were part a background image. I thought the tress in the distance were from a background image, but I though the larger trees in the foreground were "real", so to speak. Thanks again for sharing this great composition.
I recall that pic you did awhile back w/ the Pz. III in it as well. Wasn't that the pic with one of First Legion's Russian village houses (the one w/ the thatched roof I think), with the tank on a dirt road?
Joe

Amazing shot, My favorite Thread. FRANK UR AWSOME!!!{bravo}}{bravo}} HINT HINT UR PIC'S
is one of the reason I started collecting the LEGION :salute::

Thanks!

Sammy,

WWII is a tough conflict to create scenes featuring both sides due to the ranges involved. Converting some distances to 1:30:

• 1000m --> 33m. This is a reasonable tank engagement range
  • 300m --> 10m
  • 100m --> 3.3m
  • 30m --> 1m

Even a close combat range like 30m requires 1 m of separation modeled at 1:30. This is one of the reasons I like to feature abandoned or knocked out vehicles in scenes with vehicles from both sides.

Joe,

I've done a number of scenes with the summer Pz.IIIs and the thatch roofed FL house.

Notascold

As people often state pictures don't always do a manufacturer's figures justice. I'm glad mine were able to be of assistance.

Thanks!

Sammy,

Even a close combat range like 30m requires 1 m of separation modeled at 1:30. This is one of the reasons I like to feature abandoned or knocked out vehicles in scenes with vehicles from both sides.

My shelves are 23" wide which means if I put two opposing forces on the same shelf, they would be nose to nose in the centre. I've done it on occasion, but it isn't easy to make it look good. As the display cabinets are side by side, I sometimes use shelves at the same level in 2 cabinets to separate the forces

Terry

Some artillery support to knock the Ruskies back to Siberia..............^&grin{sm0}{sm4}:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_3969.JPG
    IMG_3969.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_3927.JPG
    IMG_3927.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_3917.JPG
    IMG_3917.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 379
  • 284.JPG
    284.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 381
  • 283.JPG
    283.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 398
Infantry and assault guns in the vicinity of the grain elevator.

2012_9_17_DSC_0036_small.jpg

2012_9_17_DSC_0036a_small.jpg

2012_9_17_DSC_0020_small.jpg

2012_9_17_DSC_0035_small.jpg

2012_9_17_DSC_0035a_small.jpg

2012_9_17_DSC_0033_small.jpg

Frank

Another great set of pics Frank. I love how the picture has two separate stories working within it.

A stunning new series of photos Frank . . . I always in awe of your genius . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Incredible Frank...talk about depth and realism!! I love this wide open scene and the sense I get of great space and distance. I love the H & A demolished factory and how you have positioned it in the one shot where you've pulled back to show the entire landscape. The groundwork looks fantastic as well....did you create the groundwork? Thanks for sharing this latest series of pics. Glad to see you having so much fun w/ your FL Germans and Stug.

Joe

Wonderfull photo"s..and a fresh and very original use of depth of field....Well done Frank!!!!.

Steve

Great new photos Frank. That Stug III is a very nice looking model.

Uh....wow !
Incredible work Frank, just incredible.
mike

Thanks a lot guys!

Joe, the groundwork was created for me by Rodrigo (debrito) and consists of 3 large tiles. I utilized two of the tiles in this scene along with the H&A factory and a 72" x 24" background picture I took of grey sky. The grain elevator (and associated buildings) are 1:300 Timecast models (http://www.timecastmodels.co.uk/).

Frank

Thanks a lot guys!

Joe, the groundwork was created for me by Rodrigo (debrito) and consists of 3 large tiles. I utilized two of the tiles in this scene along with the H&A factory and a 72" x 24" background picture I took of grey sky. The grain elevator (and associated buildings) are 1:300 Timecast models (http://www.timecastmodels.co.uk/).

Frank

Thanks for the info on all the elements used to create this wonderfully realistic and deep scene Frank. You did a heck of job w/ all the engineering that went into it, and Rod's groundwork is amazing.

Joe

Thanks Neil and Joe,

Before I swap out the morning sky background I thought I should get a shot for this thread. This is a contrasting shot to the recent winter T-34 picture..

Summer 1942,

2012_9_30_DSC_0083_small.jpg

2012_9_30_DSC_0087_small.jpg

Frank

Frank, you have given us another photo series to pleasure our eyes and imagination with . . . great way for me to start my day . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back