The American Civil War Diaries (4 Viewers)

Also that Mrs. Lincoln was somewhat responsible for that appellation of "Butcher." I suppose Haig some fifty plus years later made Grant look like a piker when it came to casualties. It may have been a terrible mistake but it was putting into action the strategy of bleeding the Southern forces and destroying the Southern forces as the primary goal, not the capture of territory.

I was also reminded of the trip that Lincoln took, also on the River Queen, to Hampton Road, Virginia to meet with Southern delegates to discuss "the issues involved in the exisiting war," in Jefferson Davis' parlance, which, as Lincoln reported to Congress, "ended without result" and with no compromise of the Union position.

I am not sure why you refer to the painting as "ironically." They did bring peace to the United States, if not in the way the rebellious states anticipated. Peace was obviously only temporary as, yes, the fighting stopped, but little peace was brought to the Southern states, despite the message conveyed in Lincoln's Second Inauguaral Address, perhaps one of the greatest speeches in Amrerican history (for an incredible analysis of this speech, read Ronald White's Lincoln's Greatest Speech; it is an amazing book).

Stunning Bob and nice to see some non combat photos. Thanks once again for sharing your dio, photos and story telling skills. :)

Oops, forgot to add very well done. Was just wondering the other day when we might see an episode.

Tut Tut Mike you just aint paying attention :D this was the last text and picture of the previous chapter

But thanks for your comments

Bob

As the Army of the Potomac wearily continued their march South they were unaware that there would be one final battle of Grant's Overland Campaign. A battle that would deliver such horrendous and catastrophic numbers of Union casualties that Lincoln refused to release the casualty lists to the Washington press.

And a battle that would forever link the descriptive "Butcher" to Grant's name

The battle location would be a quiet country crossroads in central Virginia with the rather odd name of.......

DSC00007-5.jpg

:eek: I stand corrected :D but you have to consider that I am 62 and that post was way back on May 8th - How in the world is a man at my advanced age on earth supposed to remember what I read back in May ;):p. At least between the two of us visitors to your outstanding series will know that Grant was nicknamed the "Butcher". Again - outstanding . . . .
:) Mike

Oops, forgot to add very well done. Was just wondering the other day when we might see an episode.

Thanks for the history lesson Brad :D but my usage of "ironically" was obviously a failed attempt at subtlety in linking "peacemaker" with this particular chapter of Grant at Cold Harbor and his suffix of "Butcher". What with all of our recent discussions on Haig at the Somme appears I got carried away with Grant at Cold Harbor albeit 50 years before WWI. And I am positive that more than a few of our Southern colleagues would most definitely not link Sherman with G.P. Healey's descriptive of "Peacemaker"

Oh! and thanks for the compliment

Bob

Bob,

I'm sure that our Southern colleagues would not agree but i'm sure that what us Healey had in mind. You are right: there is always irony in calling a soldier a peacemaker but in many cases when the military implements the policy of ending a war, I believe that is the effect.

Speaking of strategy, there is an interesting new book out, claiming to be one of the few books that has looked at strategy in the Civil War, The Grand Design: Stragegy and the U.S. Civil War by Donald Stoker, published by Oxford. The author is Professor of Strategy and Policy for the U.S. Naval War College at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California and has been quite well received. I have just started it.

Have you thought about doing an Appomatox scene?

Last edited:
"PEACEMAKER" I remember that comedian Bill Cosby said that stopping his kids from fighting didn't bring justice, just quiet!

Colt%20peacemaker.jpg

Doing Appomattox is going to involve some marching troops and standing troops. Looking forward to seeing the next installment.

Bob,

I'm sure that our Southern colleagues would not agree but i'm sure that what us Healey had in mind. You are right: there is always irony in calling a soldier a peacemaker but in many cases when the military implements the policy of ending a war, I believe that is the effect.

It can be but in this case I would go with Bob's assessment; but then you were sure of that.;):) I think the term is more fittingly applied to the Colt.

Superb work as usual Bob,excellent scene. Looking at your dio's is like reading a History book with live pictures,very enjoyable and executed to perfection.

Rob

Bob,

As you know I always look forward to your ACWD posts and I am not dissatisfied today! :)

Rather nice model of Mrs Lincoln, is it a BJ paint job? :cool:

Jeff

Superb work as usual Bob,excellent scene. Looking at your dio's is like reading a History book with live pictures,very enjoyable and executed to perfection.

Rob

I agree Rob, all Bob has to do is get his arse into gear and get this thread published as a book! ;)

Jeff

Most excellent again Bob and another definite high point contribution to these forums. You know all to well that I am not only a fan but you have made the ACW actually interesting to me, something I doubted possible. As good as all these have been I can hardly wait to see what you do with your reinforcements.:eek::cool::D

Bob

What can I say other than WOW ! Again :eek:

Your photography and ACW Collection is simply amazing - I sure wish you would come to Washington, DC and let walk a battlefield or two - I would love to hear your views on some of these great battlefields.

As for the PEACEMAKERS comment - I think you know where i stand on that one ;)

Great work.

Ron

Yet another terrific battle scene Bob, a job well done as always.

Love these Civil War threads as they usually lead to a debate over who was right/wrong/good/evil regarding the US Civil War.

Sad to say here we are almost 150 years after the war ended but for some, the war continues.........:rolleyes:

Tremendous stuff as usual. The figures are amazing but it's Bob's storyteller's eye that brings the scene to life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back